Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Recommendation

Options
  • 31-03-2009 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Would there be a book about a character who is very nuerotic and paranoid?
    i.e on the lives of Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm or crazier?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Adrian Mole and Emma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

you could try Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris.
    It's set in the offices of an American ad agency.
    Full of neurotic characters.
    I liked it a lot, very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Catch-22 fits the bill perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

A confederacy of Dunces - say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

buck65 wrote: »
    A confederacy of Dunces - say no more.

Thanks. I usually never ever read fiction as I find it boring. But I read a lot of fact. Occasionally, and I must it is occasionally I come across a fiction classic such as 'The Curious Incident about the Dog' in the night which I really enjoy.

So I suppose if I could find books where the characters are really interesting, Larry David for example is a very interesting character in CYE, I think I'd really enjoy them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 CelineLarr

Uhmmm ....Old School, by Leo Tolstoy was really quite good ...I only read last week.

The Secret History is also fantastic! I've a couple of other recommendations here: http://chicknamedhermia.wordpress.com/2008/09/08/leafing-through-the-options/

:)

Catherine
    http://chicknamedhermia.wordpress.com/

CelineLarr wrote: »
    Uhmmm ....Old School, by Leo Tolstoy was really quite good ...I only read last week.

The Secret History is also fantastic! I've a couple of other recommendations here: http://chicknamedhermia.wordpress.com/2008/09/08/leafing-through-the-options/

:)

Catherine
    http://chicknamedhermia.wordpress.com/

Thanks I read between 25 - 50 books a year.
    The two best books I read lasy year were
    "Cool It" by Bjorn Lomborg and "Long Walk to Freedom" Mandela.

I usually cringe reading fiction, but I'll bear in mind all the suggestions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Thanks I read between 25 - 50 books a year.
    The two best books I read lasy year were
    "Cool It" by Bjorn Lomborg and "Long Walk to Freedom" Mandela.

I usually cringe reading fiction, but I'll bear in mind all the suggestions.

I'm a bit like you, find it very hard to take fiction seriously. Though have softened in that aspect over the last year.

I heartily reccomend Catch 22, the best book I've ever read. Read it last week in three days. An unputdownable book.

I actually enjoyed Mandela's book, read it as an impressionable 17 year old. Though I got the feeling that he was writing it like 'Look at me, I'm a once in a generation national saviour - look at me I said!'. Still good though.

Denerick wrote: »
    I'm a bit like you, find it very hard to take fiction seriously. Though have softened in that aspect over the last year.

I heartily reccomend Catch 22, the best book I've ever read. Read it last week in three days. An unputdownable book.

I actually enjoyed Mandela's book, read it as an impressionable 17 year old. Though I got the feeling that he was writing it like 'Look at me, I'm a once in a generation national saviour - look at me I said!'. Still good though.

All my friends told me to read 1984 and I thought it was over-hyped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 CelineLarr

I thought Catch-22 was kinda crap, despite all the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

CelineLarr wrote: »
    I thought Catch-22 was kinda crap, despite all the hype.

Me too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Me too

Infidels, both of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

something happened by joseph heller, the writer of catch-22. One of the most depressing books I've read.

Fight Club by Chuck Pahlaniuk. Most books by him in fact.

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

George Orwell's biography

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

How did I forget! Crime and Punishment.

Advertisement