Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Growing organic fruit & veg

• 31-03-2009 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I may have the use free of some land to grow organic fruit & veg on. I was wondering what size area I would need to farm to make it commercially viable?

Was thinking I could sell at local farmer markets or further afield. I have little experience but am interested in any advice from anyone that has done something similar. What work is involved? Is the work worth the return? What size area of land could one person manage?

I'm losing my job soon so will have plenty of time and have the land for free there won't be much costs involved.

Any other tips or advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

hi i grow enough for the family each year potatoes and greens , you would need to research the market a bit first ,go around the green grocers first and ask what sells best. Herbs dont take up much room and a little handfull in the shops is up to 2 euro , the allotments in the uk are helpful you will fing them on the web , you will get loads of advice there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

http://www.allotment.org.uk have a look at this site , hundreds of gardeners on here , nearly 300000 thousand alotments in the uk , wont be long till they are here as well ! i have just put in 5 rows of spuds , onions peas french beans and a row of brocoli ,

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Paulcullen62

Thanks for the advice. Thats a good website. Going to just do stuff in the polly tunnel this year on a small scale and see how i get on. I was told that it can take 2 hours to dig a bag of potatos. They sell for €8!! Alot of work for €8!! Think i'm just going to grow stuff for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Two hours to dig a bag of spuds!! If you use a spoon. you can grow em under black plastic and no diggiing at all needed!

I work in the catering trade and grow a bit myself. People will pay good money for vegetables that they consider exotic or exclusive e.g. herbs, heirloom tomatoes, aubergines, courgettes, chillies, locally grown fruit e.g. plums, strawberries. I forget the name of the lady, but she set up a veg box scheme in the UK supplying it almost exclusively from a three acre small holding and made a living from it.

If you want to go into the markets a well presented stall of really fresh stuff will gain you a following but bear in mind that consistency is key and you will have consistent overheads, rent, fuel etc.

You'd never know though you could have really green fingers. Best of luck with it in any case.;)

Advertisement