Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype for Iphone

Options
  • 31-03-2009 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭

The official App has been released for the iphone this morning. It looks good so far.

There are some problems with jailbroken iphones though. If you have Clippy installed it causes the Skype app to crash when logging in. You can disable Clippy in your settings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

nedd wrote: »
    The official App has been released for the iphone this morning. It looks good so far.

There are some problems with jailbroken iphones though. If you have Clippy installed it causes the Skype app to crash when logging in. You can disable Clippy in your settings.

It also seems to only work consistently with the latest non-beta firmware and over Wi-Fi according to Engadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I tried downloading it from the App store in the last few minutes and it wouldn't let me. I got a message saying that "Your account is only valid for purchases in the Ireland iTunes Store" :confused:

CivilEx wrote: »
    I tried downloading it from the App store in the last few minutes and it wouldn't let me. I got a message saying that "Your account is only valid for purchases in the Ireland iTunes Store" :confused:

It's available in Japan and the US at the moment, so I'm sure it will be available in Ireland at some point today. The CTIA Wireless 2009 pre-conference is today, so an official announcement will no doubt be made by Apple either today or during the conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Rsaeire wrote: »
    It's available in Japan and the US at the moment, so I'm sure it will be available in Ireland at some point today

So will o2 have to support Skype on their network now or is it only for use over Wi-FI?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I downloaded it fine.. though it froze my iPhone when I tried to dial 'Skype Test Call'

Could be because I'm running FW 2.1 and it's apparently optimised for FW 2.2.. or it could be becuase I was logged onto Skype on my PC at the same time.

First thing I noticed was no 'Remember Password' so you've to log on each time you open the application! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just closed down PC client and it still froze on call of 'Skype Test Call'! :mad:
    So will o2 have to support Skype on their network now or is it only for use over Wi-FI?
    Only can be used over Wi-Fi!

• Advertisement

The Skype application's intended use is over Wi-Fi, so iTouch users can also use Skype, however, v3.0 beta users have been successful in getting it to work over 3G, but not consistently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 davedth

does anyone know how i can have skype running in the background on the iphone 3g so when i go back to home screen it doesnt close out of app?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭smackyB

davedth wrote: »
    does anyone know how i can have skype running in the background on the iphone 3g so when i go back to home screen it doesnt close out of app?

You can do this by jailbreaking your iphone and installing an application called backgrounder. However in the case of the skype app, it doesn't play nice with jailbroken phones. An update is available in Cydia (basically an app store for jailbroken phones) which will make skype work but disables jailbroken features such as backgrounder while skype is running. So at the moment there is no running skype in the background but it may be addressed in future Cydia updates. You can find out more here: http://thebigboss.org/2009/03/30/new-skype-app-having-problems-on-jailbroken-phones/

But for all other apps backgrounder works brilliantly, especially for apps like Wunderadio.

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Disco Bandit

works fairly well on ipod touch which is great,
    ive the 2nd gen, so i need to get me a set of headphones with a mic on them then im set.
    with eircom hotspot as a second hitter thats me set.

would be very nice if it ran in the background though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

i have backgrounder installed on my jailbroken iphone and if you run skype in the background it logs you out after a while anyway.

will have to wait for 3.0 os update before proper backgrounding works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

i downloaded this today along with the 'VOIPover3g' app from Cydia...

works great, i can call other skype contacts, all landline/mobiles including Irish ones and all over 3g as well as wifi.. all at skype rates:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

downloaded it today over 3g, worked fine installing and setting up. (wifi isnt working atm, see my other post for that)

When i got to the test call though i get this message in the pic. Wonder will this be changed by o2?

phill106 wrote: »
    downloaded it today over 3g, worked fine installing and setting up. (wifi isnt working atm, see my other post for that)

When i got to the test call though i get this message in the pic. Wonder will this be changed by o2?

this is normal, its not an issue with o2...skype for iphone only allows you to make call over wifi, and not 3g(Apples rules), as phone operators(their partners in crime) will loose out on revenues....

but like i said in my last post, their is an app in cydia that makes ur phone think its using wifi even when its using 3g, this fools the skype app and its then allows u to make callg over 3g/edge...

I read through your other post. Sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having with your iPhone.

With regard to 3G access for Skype calls, I very much doubt O2 will allow this. The Skype application for the iPhone is specifically for making calls over Wi-Fi, so by O2 allowing customers to use their 3G network to make Skype calls, would mean they’d be losing revenue. I know 3 offers this service for free, but they have had to differentiate themselves from the other operators in order to stay relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, no Skype calls over 3G (not officially anyway) but you can still use skype text chat via this app, which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Calls over 3G work in the 3.0 beta, so maybe they'll allow it when they release the update in June or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Yep I've made a lot of good quality calls over 3G on the 3.0 beta this week. I can't see O2 being able to stop us doing this. It just appears as encrypted http traffic as far as they can see. For us users, its money saved ;)

cojomo2 wrote: »
    this is normal, its not an issue with o2...skype for iphone only allows you to make call over wifi, and not 3g(Apples rules), as phone operators(their partners in crime) will loose out on revenues....
    I beg to differ! The iphone itself can do it, apple set it up that way, as they want to compete with phone companies.
    Its the phone companies such as o2 and at&t that are blocking it. Some details here, and im sure elsewhere.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/03/deutsche_telekom_blocks_skype/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

How about why didn't apple sell unlocked 3G iPhones - I know people would pay for them? Then it'd be up to the networks to block protocols at the network level and not having us pay for the privilage.

I beg to differ! The iphone itself can do it, apple set it up that way, as they want to compete with phone companies.
    Its the phone companies such as o2 and at&t that are blocking it. Some details here, and im sure elsewhere.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/03/deutsche_telekom_blocks_skype/

ofcourse the iphone can do it..but bottom line is skype have dissabled this feature (voip over 3g). Skype owe nothing to networks such as o2 so would not block this feature at their request.. However, they would block it at apples request, otherwise it could be refused entry to the appstore. Im assuming apple are asking Skype to blockthis it at the request of their (Apples)partners(o2, at&t etc)..

Anyway no fuss, like i said, if u jailbreak and intsall the app Voipover3G then it fools skype into thinking u are always on wifi even when u are on endge/3g , it works perfect.

• Advertisement

cojomo2 wrote: »
    ofcourse the iphone can do it..but bottom line is skype have dissabled this feature (voip over 3g). Skype owe nothing to networks such as o2 so would not block this feature at their request.. However, they would block it at apples request, otherwise it could be refused entry to the appstore. Im assuming apple are asking Skype to blockthis it at the request of their (Apples)partners(o2, at&t etc)..

Anyway no fuss, like i said, if u jailbreak and intsall the app Voipover3G then it fools skype into thinking u are always on wifi even when u are on endge/3g , it works perfect.

ill install that voipover3g thing then as soon as my phone gets back :)

Advertisement