Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

home karaoke - mixer/amp help needed

• 31-03-2009 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

hi, im trying to add karaoke to my home setup. its a low budget addition as it will only get the occasional drunken use :)

im posting here as i want to keep my setup as integrated as possible and as close to what it is at present. i'm not sure what kind of response ill get, but as im looking for a mixer i thought this would be the best place to go

the relevant pieces of my setup are a windows media centre pc which does all the video and audio at present. i intend to play karaoke files in winamp so music will be output from this machine.
    this then connects to a logitech z5400 via digital optical.
    there is some issue with passing mic through on my pc so i cant just plug a mic in the back and be done with it.

this is where i need the advice of this forums users :)

as i understand it, i will need a mixer to take the signal from my pc, mix it with a mic and then pass it on to my my audio receiver.

i will be changing the pc output to analog stereo so that it can be mixed with the mono mic properly.

the receiver only takes line level audio (if i understand this correctly) and outputs it to the speakers. it doesnt do any amplification.

so what i think i need is a 2/3 ch mixer with buiilt in amplifier that can output dual rca to my receiver.

the closest i can find to this is http://www.emkaraoke.co.uk/newsite/index.html?target=dept_12.html&lang=en-gb
    however this connects directly to speakers and is huge and ugly.

sizewise, id really like something along the lines of this but my understanding is that needs to be connected to an amp to work.

so to sum up, i think iom looking for a mixer wiht built in amp, that has 2 mic inputs and one line input and rca out. lowest possibler price is the target as auido quality and drunken karaoke dont go hand in hand :)

any help in finding this is much appreciated, or corrections for where ive gone wrong.

thanks,subway

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭arsebandit

Ok where do we start here!!!, Here goes as for a mixer and amp combo, you will be lucky to find a small 2 channel one, if at all.First of all do you have a sound system? Surround sound system ?or stereo with a aux or line input? if you do my advise would be to use this as way of ampification with its own speakers.If you can do this well then its happy days buy a cheap dj mixer, again a 2 channel with 2 mic inputs might be hard to come across, But for a bout €100 euro you will pick up something like this http://www.thomann.de/ie/american_audio_q_2411_pro.htm,
    On the other hand if you have your own speakers, and want to power them from a amp you will need to know what ohms the speakers and the ohm of the amp, if the speakers are too low i.e 4ohm speakers and a 8ohm amp, it wont last a hour!!!if you need any more advice or help pm me and i will be happy to go through it with you.

Bandit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thanks for the reply, it turned out that i dont need an actual amp, as my recevier already acts as one.
    its quite confusing for someone just walking into so i was getting my bits and pieces mixed up.
    i was thinking that i needed an amp to power the mics, but that turns out to be incorrect.

after a lot of googling and phone calls i got a karaoke mixer off ebay that has a usb sound card built in, i have that plugged into my pc and set it as default output in winamp (everything elses optical to the receiver) which plays the karaoke files and mixes it with the 2 mic inputs.

thanks for taking the time to get back to me :)
    for anyone that s interested, i got one of these http://www.acekaraoke.com/acesonic-km-111-pc-dvd-mp4-guitar-karaoke-mixer-usb.html

it takes any input (via red/white phono) and mixes it with up to 4 mics, and as mentioned has a built in usb sound card for connecting directly to a pc in case you dont want to use it as your primary sound card. it can then be connected to any audio device that takes an analog input, my case is the receiver, but can connect to a stereo or a tv etc...

Advertisement