Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning Sofit/guttering chancers on the loose

• 31-03-2009 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just a head up for a crew (all Irish) who are cold calling suggesting your guttering is falling down and the like, talking to them they started with a "ah we're in the area and I noticed damp from the leaky guttering , I could fix that for €50" and ended up with 2well I did a quick survey and you'll need everything ripping out and we can do the job for €950".

I managed to stop it going any further.

They could be legit but I didn't fancy the way that they could suddenly do a job at whatever price I could afford when I demured.

White transit WD 06 XXXX 3 guys in green bibs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ya if they are not legit they usually prey on the elderly (Like Mike :pac:)

Cheers, my grandmother nearly got dupped before for something similar.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

County reg, so probably local. You usually should give the guards a headsup as they usually like to keep an eye on this type of thing. Just give them the reg, time and date etc :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

why do people even entertaint these chancers, someone calls to my door like that I say I'm grand and the door is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Sully wrote: »
    County reg, so probably local. You usually should give the guards a headsup as they usually like to keep an eye on this type of thing. Just give them the reg, time and date etc :)

Thats all they do is keep an eye on it. Just say no thanks and close the door.

See its easy for us to say that we'd close the door (which I assume the majority of us would) but these Asshats make a killing taking advantage of the elderly who in mky experience anyway can be much much to trusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

yeah,chancers alright,i called into me nans last week to see if she needed anything done,shes very eldery (86) .about ten mins after i called in there was a few bangs on the door ,went out,fella was actually surprised it was me who opened the door,not my nan,as area full of eldery people.he said sorry wrong address and went off,spoke to me nans neighbours son and he said they were looking to clean peoples gutters\check out if anything was worth stealing more like he said.wouldnt trust them at all myself.

anplaya wrote: »
    yeah,chancers alright,i called into me nans last week to see if she needed anything done,shes very eldery (86) .about ten mins after i called in there was a few bangs on the door ,went out,fella was actually surprised it was me who opened the door,not my nan,as area full of eldery people.he said sorry wrong address and went off,spoke to me nans neighbours son and he said they were looking to clean peoples gutters\check out if anything was worth stealing more like he said.wouldnt trust them at all myself.

I dunno about saying this so mods feel free to snip if needs be but a guy walked into my ma's house and lifted her purse and walked back out. he tried the same thing next door (my aunts) they saw him trying to walk in and said what was he doing he then gave them a story about how he was cleaning gutters. It wasn't untill the next day that me poor ma realised her purse was missing.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the same lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I work from home so I'm in my house most of the time. Lately there's been a big increase in people knocking on the door seeing if I want any work done etc.

At our estate's residents association last week the Gardai were warning people about these chancers, also warned us about the lot that keep posting the recycling tags in the middle of the night and using it as a front to be on your property as they are trying to open people's doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

i brought that up b4 in a different topic about them checking the doors the sneaky f**kers:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Yeah I remember that thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement