Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff Puppy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

getz wrote: »
    iif any of you have ever had a staffie and his jaws havent locked on to another dog -you have been lucky

I find that statement ridiculous in the extreme.

Anyway, best of luck with your new family member! My bro has a beauty of an American Pitbull called Louie and he is one of the most handsome dogs I've ever seen. Louie, along with his litter mates were dumped in a bag in Blanchardstown, and my brothers friend found them. Their eyes hadn't even opened yet they were so young. My brother rescued Louis and reared him, and I remember him sleeping on my pillow and he only about the size of my hand. He is now a big and strong boy, although he can be scared of strangers - which is no surprise considering the young age he was abandoned. Absolutey fantastic animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Noopti wrote: »
    I find that statement ridiculous in the extreme.
    questions to ask -have you ever had a staffie ?.-the answer to that is no ,if you decide to look up the breed and history you will find all that i have told you is true,

questions to ask -have you ever had a staffie ?.-the answer to that is no ,if you decide to look up the breed and history you will find all that i have told you is true,

I'd like to see your evidence. I think you are wrong, and not owning a Staffie has nothing to do with it. Maybe do a poll?

1. I own a staffie and it has "locked on" with it's jaws on another animal
    2. I own a staffie and it has never "locked on" with it's jaws on another animal
    3. I don't own a staffie

I would suggest that if you own as staffie and it has done this, then you are unlucky(or maybe it isn't anything to do with luck, rather control and training), rather then what you suggest: "Anyone who owns one and it hasn't done this is lucky"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No dog is able to lock its jaws onto anything. They maybe powerful, but they dont LOCK their jaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

andreac wrote: »
    No dog is able to lock its jaws onto anything. They maybe powerful, but they dont LOCK their jaws.

They dont lock and are average power!

they do try to hang on where other dogs would bite several times, this is not actually locked on but there trying to lock on if that makes sense!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see your evidence. I think you are wrong, and not owning a Staffie has nothing to do with it. Maybe do a poll?

1. I own a staffie and it has "locked on" with it's jaws on another animal
    2. I own a staffie and it has never "locked on" with it's jaws on another animal
    3. I don't own a staffie

I would suggest that if you own as staffie and it has done this, then you are unlucky(or maybe it isn't anything to do with luck, rather control and training), rather then what you suggest: "Anyone who owns one and it hasn't done this is lucky"
    i will try to make things easy for you -history of the bulldog/staffordshire bull terrier- the englishbulldog is the main breed that the staffie came from it was used for bullbaiting the dog would LOCK his jaws on the bull to hold it down .when bullbaiting was outlawed the bulldog was used for pit fighting as it wasent good at this a terrier was crossed to give the dog more courage with the same power and ability as the bulldog this dog is now called the staffordshire bull terrier [first bred in the black country staffordshire ] there are more dogs in the uk than there are people in the irish republic,this means you are very unlikely to walk down the road without meeting another dog many of them not on a lead, people who have staffies know the dog will not back off so the chances are that sometime or other your dog is going to be attacked and will LOCK on to his attacker, the number of dogs in the uk in 2001 was 6.8 million the number of people in the republic in 2001 was under 4 million ,not that many people in ireland have dogs as yet ,so i can forgive you for not knowing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Wonderful dogs, great with the kids. They need a firm handling when young, train them early and you will have years of enjoyment and companionship.

They are lovers of comfort you'll find - a warm basket and soft cushion and they'll happily curl up there for half the day.You will need a good 20 - 30 minutes vigorous play with them, they love chasing a ball and running about.

I never found them to be great guard dogs - they'll bark at the door if someone is there but will greet them like a friend regardless of intent. At least I never had to disprove or prove that fact for real.

You'll have to get used to the prejudice against them in the media and by others who are not well informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I think this argument continues because of the misunderstanding of the term "lock on". Dogs who 'lock on' - bite and hold as opposed to 'bite and shake'. There is no vicegrips -type locking of the jaws.

I think this argument continues because of the misunderstanding of the term "lock on". Dogs who 'lock on' - bite and hold as opposed to 'bite and shake'. There is no vicegrips -type locking of the jaws.

spot on

Actual lock jaw does not exist in dogs, this as i already said is a mind set, they want to hold as other dogs want to continue to nip-i've seen collies "lock on" to other dogs and not let go, no lock jaw mechanism, they just decided they wanted to hold on like any dog can..

i will try to make things easy for you -history of the bulldog/staffordshire bull terrier- the englishbulldog is the main breed that the staffie came from it was used for bullbaiting the dog would LOCK his jaws on the bull to hold it down .when bullbaiting was outlawed the bulldog was used for pit fighting as it wasent good at this a terrier was crossed to give the dog more courage with the same power and ability as the bulldog this dog is now called the staffordshire bull terrier [first bred in the black country staffordshire ] there are more dogs in the uk than there are people in the irish republic,this means you are very unlikely to walk down the road without meeting another dog many of them not on a lead, people who have staffies know the dog will not back off so the chances are that sometime or other your dog is going to be attacked and will LOCK on to his attacker,

Ok, I don't need a "simplified" version for a start, and I know the history of these dogs (you don't need to have owned them for however many years to know this).
    Anyway, you "evidence" is laughable. It is not evidence at all.

You are giving a figure for the amount of dogs in the UK, then using that statistic to back up a completely different point. Your point was that any Staffie owner who has not had their dog "lock on" to another dog is "lucky". I asked you to back that up with evidence, and all you could do was give me the total number of dogs in the UK and then use that to guess that with so many dogs around you are bound to meet one who will attack your staffie and as such your staffie will lock on to it. :rolleyes:
    the number of dogs in the uk in 2001 was 6.8 million the number of people in the republic in 2001 was under 4 million ,not that many people in ireland have dogs as yet ,so i can forgive you for not knowing this

Forgive me for not knowing what? Knowing a stat on the amount of dogs in a country is completely irrelevent to your point.

If you had said something like, "Always maintain good control of your new dog in public areas, especially with other dogs" would be fine, and is good advice for owners of any breed. But to say the owner should get a thick collar so they can more effectively seperate their dog when (not if, but when according to you) it locks onto another dog is unhelpful, fear mongering and simply reinforces the negative image these dogs are already afflicted with.
    And for someone who has "had Staffies for over 30 years", I would have expected a more considerate level of advice being given to someone who is new to the breed.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    spot on

Actual lock jaw does not exist in dogs, this as i already said is a mind set, they want to hold as other dogs want to continue to nip-i've seen collies "lock on" to other dogs and not let go, no lock jaw mechanism, they just decided they wanted to hold on like any dog can..
    its a sad day when boardies cannot understand what is said without trying to nit pick-would any of want me to use the words seize and latched on ?[william shakespear]words he used when talking about bull baiting or the words used on the bull breed [grab and hold down] the bull .that was in 1568,

Ok, I don't need a "simplified" version for a start, and I know the history of these dogs (you don't need to have owned them for however many years to know this).
    Anyway, you "evidence" is laughable. It is not evidence at all.

You are giving a figure for the amount of dogs in the UK, then using that statistic to back up a completely different point. Your point was that any Staffie owner who has not had their dog "lock on" to another dog is "lucky". I asked you to back that up with evidence, and all you could do was give me the total number of dogs in the UK and then use that to guess that with so many dogs around you are bound to meet one who will attack your staffie and as such your staffie will lock on to it. :rolleyes:
    seeing that ireland has the biggest largest stray dog per capita in europe ,dogs attacking dogs is soon going to be a big problem there,so it is far better to know what to do to save a bad injury to the dogs than like i have seen in the uk people beating the dog with a stick ,to make him let go,-you have to know what to do just in case.

its a sad day when boardies cannot understand what is said without trying to nit pick-would any of want me to use the words seize and latched on ?[william shakespear]words he used when talking about bull baiting or the words used on the bull breed [grab and hold down] the bull .that was in 1568,

Saying locked on backs up a false negative stereotype of these dogs, i knew it was a wrong definition but many others would not-and been on boards does not make you a genius that understands everthing your trying to say. your wrong and clearly trying to back track now..

"Dogs dont have a lock jaw mechanism, for the people who dont have the same level of intelligence as getz"

Saying locked on backs up a false negative stereotype of these dogs, i knew it was a wrong definition but many others would not-and been on boards does not make you a genius that understands everthing your trying to say. your wrong and clearly trying to back track now..

"Dogs dont have a lock jaw mechanism, for the people who dont have the same level of intelligence as getz"
    please dont tell the armed forces that when their radar LOCKS on to a target that it dosent,what i tried to say in this thread was [before it got hijacked by idiots] was that if you get a dog you should know about the breed;and what to do if things go wrong, and one of the things is what to do when the staffie[its a fighting breed] bites into another dog;it seems that many irish boardies do not realize that the staffie is a RESTRICTED breed in ireland mainly because of the bad publicity it has had, because of bad and sometime ignorant owners in the republic-i have walked a number of times around killkenny and i have seen staffies without muzzles on-so i will say again you must know the breed you are buying-the dog at the moment in the uk that is in bad books is the greyhound a lot of people are now getting ex/racing greyhounds as pets-yes they make lovely pets but you must also realize when off the lead they can become very dangerous to other- smaller animals ,a number small dogs and cats have been killed recently by them ,if you dont know your breed you will be letting all other dog owners down- i wrote on this thread because i love my and all staffies, if you dont follow the rules of dog ownership you should not get one, if you do check the downside to the breed

give it up cowzerp read the dictionary the word lock can mean a number of things as well as the obvious ie noun to hold fast [as my staffie claim]or verb to become fastend to or to make fast or immovable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

please dont tell the armed forces that when their radar LOCKS on to a target that it dosent,what i tried to say in this thread was [before it got hijacked by idiots] was that if you get a dog you should know about the breed;and what to do if things go wrong, and one of the things is what to do when the staffie[its a fighting breed] bites into another dog;it seems that many irish boardies do not realize that the staffie is a RESTRICTED breed in ireland mainly because of the bad publicity it has had, because of bad and sometime ignorant owners in the republic-i have walked a number of times around killkenny and i have seen staffies without muzzles on-so i will say again you must know the breed you are buying-the dog at the moment in the uk that is in bad books is the greyhound a lot of people are now getting ex/racing greyhounds as pets-yes they make lovely pets but you must also realize when off the lead they can become very dangerous to other- smaller animals ,a number small dogs and cats have been killed recently by them ,if you dont know your breed you will be letting all other dog owners down- i wrote on this thread because i love my and all staffies, if you dont follow the rules of dog ownership you should not get one, if you do check the downside to the breed

For the love of sweet baby jesus, so many contradictions - so little time to debunk 'em.

Getz, when your in a hole - stop digging!.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ok calm it down a bit people.Ive had a couple of reports about this thread.In my opinion the reports were unjustified since they were more about the "tone" of the thread rather than a specific rule being broken.

Its a heated debate but thats all it is.

Now can we please keep it a bit (more) civil or else Im going to lock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 nanuq

XXNikXX wrote: »
    Im collecting my new staffy on wednesday evening and can't wait, having trouble thinking of a nice name for him though any ideas?

Also, anyone have any advice on this breed? Had labradores, a dobermann and a collie but never a staff, anything in paticular i should know?

i have a staffie tia they are the best dogs ever i have a 4month old baby and my dog just loves her she is a quick learner sooooo easy to train and the gentleist of dogs i would reccomend them to anyone they are known as "the nanny dog" in the states because of there good nature go to dog breed info you will get good tips and advice but if yo had a dobie a staff will be easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 nanuq

and always remember its the people not the animals when you hear negitave comments and just plain ignorance dogs are not born vicious they are missteated and raised that way FACT!

Advertisement