Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wheel of Time Book 12

Options
  • 31-03-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

From the Tor website:
    Tor Books is proud to announce the November 3rd, 2009 on-sale date for The Gathering Storm, Book Twelve of The Wheel of Time and the first of three volumes that will make up A Memory of Light, the stunning conclusion to Robert Jordan’s beloved and bestselling fantasy series. A Memory of Light, partially written by Jordan and completed by Brandon Sanderson, will be released over a two-year period.

Hooray! There's a lot of comments on the Tor website from people who are disappointed about the book being split into three books and having to wait so long to conclude the series.

Personally I am happy to wait a while to make sure that it is edited properly and is a good product. Brandon Sanderson puts forward his views on his website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I think it's great, three times as many books as I was expecting! Plus it's so much sooner. I've been following Sanderson's blog, and I think he's taken up the mantle nicely, I'm looking forward to the book. I especially like how he's emphasising that he's emulating the style of the earlier books, which IMO were much better

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ARGH NO! I thought I'd finally be finished the bloody thing with one more book to go and now there's three?! I've waited 6 years before for some sequels, I'd rather it's in one full volume. Given books 7-11 were all pretty poor, I'm not expecting anything from the finale...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    We can hope. I'm a little concerned though that he seems to want to tie up everything including the stories of all the numerous minor characters that are one of the big problems with the last few books and slowed the pacing to a crawl.
    The author gave the reason for splitting the book up on his site. Iirc, it was something about the book being too big to bind if it was released as one and that it would be released very late (around 2011 I think), while if they split it up they can release a new book each year for the fans.
    Yep - it's mostly a marketing decision and it makes sense from their POV. I'm not too big on word count translating into pages but I imagine we're talking about 1k or so for the full volume, so you could split it into 3 volumes of circa 400 pages or so (with a different typeface to the omnibus edition).
    There's also a forum request in for a WOT forum at the moment just in case people want to add support. (See my sig) ¬_¬
    Outrage! What's wrong with discussing it here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I think it's great, three times as many books as I was expecting! Plus it's so much sooner. I've been following Sanderson's blog, and I think he's taken up the mantle nicely, I'm looking forward to the book. I especially like how he's emphasising that he's emulating the style of the earlier books, which IMO were much better

That's exactly how I feel, I'm quite prepared to wait if it means it's going to be done properly. And we have something fantastic to look forward to in November this year, 2010 and 2011! Excitement x 3
    eVeNtInE wrote: »

I've read the first book of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series and loved his style. I really think he's going to do WoT justice.

Thank you! I will be definitely checking that out!

Morgase wrote: »
    That's exactly how I feel, I'm quite prepared to wait if it means it's going to be done properly. And we have something fantastic to look forward to in November this year, 2010 and 2011! Excitement x 3
    What's happening then that's exciting? :D

I do like having definite dates though - George R.R. Martin's series is quite frustrating with the long gaps between releases. It's nice to have a firmer plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

think i'll wait 3 1/2 years before deciding whether to waste any more of my life on WOT, sadly I can't get back the many hours wasted on the last 3 or 4 volumes of waffle, but I'll remember to check back on this thread in Jan 2012 and make the call then.
    :)

• Advertisement

growler wrote: »
    think i'll wait 3 1/2 years before deciding whether to waste any more of my life on WOT, sadly I can't get back the many hours wasted on the last 3 or 4 volumes of waffle, but I'll remember to check back on this thread in Jan 2012 and make the call then.
    :)
    Flames and ashes! Men! *tugs braid*

Funny, I know the last couple of books weren't as strong as the first couple, but I still loved them. I always reread the whole series during the summer, they're my favourite books. Can't wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

ixoy wrote: »

Yep - it's mostly a marketing decision and it makes sense from their POV. I'm not too big on word count translating into pages but I imagine we're talking about 1k or so for the full volume, so you could split it into 3 volumes of circa 400 pages or so (with a different typeface to the omnibus edition).

Outrage! What's wrong with discussing it here :)

Nah, he said on his blog that he had passed the 400,000 word mark which is the same amount as the forth, and largest book, and was estimating finishing with around 700,000 words which puts it around the 1800 page mark. Add in the extra scope given by publishing in thre volumes and I wouldn't be surprised to see him push over that mark.

Edit: Here we go, from the author himself
    I started to lobby Harriet subtly, pointing out that previous Wheel of Time books had been 380k, and perhaps that would be a good length for each Volume of AMOL

Flames and ashes! Men! *tugs braid*

For such wise and powerful women they did see overtly interested in their cleavage, and their dresses, and how their dress emphasised they're cleavage.

Also in the WOT did any notice the ridiculous ration of "Beautiful women" to "Plain" women, oh well the genres called fantasy for a reason.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    For such wise and powerful women they did see overtly interested in their cleavage, and their dresses, and how their dress emphasised they're cleavage.
    And, for some, overly using fishing metaphors...

I always found it amusing that the original trio were meant to be really powerful Aes Sedai but then in every book they kept finding women who were equally, if not more, powerful in the Source everywhere they went - on ships, in old cottages, etc...

C'mon bring on the Final Battle and blast away all those minor characters who drag the story down. Time for the Aes Sedai to put down their cups of tea, stop their nattering, and get it on.

And, for some, overly using fishing metaphors...

I always found it amusing that the original trio were meant to be really powerful Aes Sedai but then in every book they kept finding women who were equally, if not more, powerful in the Source everywhere they went - on ships, in old cottages, etc...

C'mon bring on the Final Battle and blast away all those minor characters who drag the story down. Time for the Aes Sedai to put down their cups of tea, stop their nattering, and get it on.

The one scene in the 11th book where
    Nynaeve sends Lan to the borderlands to lead the Malkieri to the last battle
    still gives me hope for the last book.

Also if there was one story arc in the series that needed the chop it
    was Faile getting kidnapped
    Three books of misery and boredom as you watch Perrin go from being one of the best to one of the worst characters.

And not to mention the
    stupid fourway relationship with Rand being linked, by extension, to around eight people mentally.

Mat remains by far the most interesting character, you have to admit his bit was the only interesting part of book 11.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Also if there was one story arc in the series that needed the chop it
    was Faile getting kidnapped
    Three books of misery and boredom as you watch Perrin go from being one of the best to one of the worst characters.

Could not agree more. I think it must have been something along the lines of, hmm, what will I do with Perrin for the next two books, while the rest of the characters have meaningful stories?

I love the Nynaeve/Lan relationship, both battling conflicting loyalties, and the sense that it won't end well either.

That is one of the things that bothers me, the fat that all the young Aes Sedai are pursuing romantic relationships, but will end up outliving them by hundreds of years:(

I would have liked a bit more Rand in the last two books, but my favourite part in the later books, can't remember which one it was in, was
    the cleansing of the male half of the source

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

as long as the fcuker doesn't die after the 2nd book.
    It was a mate that introduced me to Wheel of Time.
    He always swore that Jordan would probably die before finishing it due to wasted time on off shoot books on Lan etc.
    When I told him the news about Jordan he was nearly crying.
    10 years nearly following it.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

I love the Nynaeve/Lan relationship, both battling conflicting loyalties, and the sense that it won't end well either.

What about the Mat/Tuon relationship, both battling well.....
    however i have the feeling it will end well (comparitively)
    When I told him the news about Jordan he was nearly crying.

I think alot of people were like that
    I remember i was just getting an update on the next book when i found out, bit of a downer really

What about the Mat/Tuon relationship, both battling well.....
    however i have the feeling it will end well (comparitively)

I don't know, I just can't warm to Tuon, she constantly seems like a spoilt child. Though I suppose she is just what Mat needs. Yeah, of all the characters, Mat and Tuon seem to be the most likely to survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

I don't know, I just can't warm to Tuon, she constantly seems like a spoilt child. Though I suppose she is just what Mat needs. Yeah, of all the characters, Mat and Tuon seem to be the most likely to survive.

Have to agree with you about Tuon as a stand alone character she is definitely lacking any spark, however she does spark interesting moments and has incerdible relationships

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Started reading this series around 1990 I think - long long time ago to remember clearly.
    Will be sad to see it come to an end - but cannot wait to see what happens with Rand, Perrin and Mat.

Need to pull the old ones out of storage and get back up to speed before November - gawd I wish I had long summer holidays again.

Taltos wrote: »
    Started reading this series around 1990 I think - long long time ago to remember clearly.
    Will be sad to see it come to an end - but cannot wait to see what happens with Rand, Perrin and Mat.

Need to pull the old ones out of storage and get back up to speed before November - gawd I wish I had long summer holidays again.

There's a re-read going on on Tor.com at the moment which has chapter summaries of the books. They're on book 4 at the moment but there's a few chapters done per week. Handy if you just want to refresh your memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

I actually kinda like Tuon, which is odd because I cannot stand Egwene, Elayne and most of his female characters.(Nyneave is off that list because of her incredible coolness at the end of KoD)

Mat has been the stand out character for me for the whole series.
    He gets better and better with each book. (Plus, he's giving the Band cannon)
    Whats not to love.
    Blood and bloody ashes people, get your swearwords RIGHT!!!

I actually kinda like Tuon. which is odd because I cannot stand Egwene and Elayne and most of his women (Nyneave is off that list for incredible coolness at the end of KoD)

Mat has been the stand out character for the whole eleven books for me.
    Moar! (plus, he's giving the Band cannon)

Blood and bloody ashes people, get your swear words RIGHT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I would have liked a bit more Rand in the last two books, but my favourite part in the later books, can't remember which one it was in, was
    the cleansing of the male half of the source

It couldn't have been any less dramatic to be honest. It was like:
    "tada it's done. Let's have some tea"

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frodos63

Last book is being split into three books i think. First of which is due this Nov. Can't wait

gaius c wrote: »
    It couldn't have been any less dramatic to be honest. It was like:
    "tada it's done. Let's have some tea"

But it's not about the drama, it's about the realisation that a profound change has come to one of the fundamental truths of their lives, it's a game-changer, and shows the effect that the actions of the ta'veren are going to have. I mean I found it hard to see how the actions of the main three were going to change the world so utterly that the next Age would arrive, but it's these events, rather than the wars and politics that appeal to me most about the books.

I think it depends on how you read the books though, and what are the bits that appeal to you. I mean I don't think that the later books are bad, not as great as the beginning, but still very good. Apparently there are a bunch of spoilers floating out there about the book already from a convention in the US, so I have to avoid all mention of the book on the web, for fear that it will ruin it.

• Advertisement

Ak! Thbt!
    Philiosophy!
    :P

Advertisement