Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wheel of Time Book 12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Three books of misery and boredom as you watch Perrin go from being one of the best to one of the worst characters.
    Mat remains by far the most interesting character, you have to admit his bit was the only interesting part of book 11.

Though it does drag out a bit (I'm looking at you, book10), I think it's a great story arc and Perrin is thoroughly badass, what with the
    figuring out you don't use torture to torture the Aiel

Mat is great in the last few books, and I actually really like Book 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

Undergod wrote: »
    Though it does drag out a bit (I'm looking at you, book10), I think it's a great story arc and Perrin is thoroughly badass, what with the
    figuring out you don't use torture to torture the Aiel

Mat is great in the last few books, and I actually really like Book 11.

As i see it all the characters become, i dunno predictable for want of a better word, as soon as they embrace their "destiny" so to speak. Mat is great because he only does the neccessities as he see them, wouldn't be surprised to find him drunk and gambling moments before the last battle breaks out:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

When is this series going to be finished? When Sanderson dies he will have one more book left to finish the series, and the baton will be taken up by some other author and he too will have to split this last book into a dozen or so, then he will die with one book remaining and his successor will say, sure, just one more book, but it will be published in 12 thousand page volumes.

Ok, fair enough, it's weirdly fitting with the wheel of time motif that the series trundles around and never ends, books come and pass leaving memories which are long forgotten when the next book comes around again etc etc, but at the same time, the author himself said that it started with an idea of the ending, and he has been building up to that. But it seems that either he couldn't reach that ending or he forgot about it. If he doesn't have it written down for the next guy, he'll have to think of something but it would make all the rest of the books irrelevant.

I suspect that this thing will never be finished now, because to finish it would show how much of it was simply irrelevant.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

The very last chapter is written I think, Jordan left behind a substantial chunk of (what was supposed to be) the last book.

Release date for the next one is in November I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I'm pretty sure they're planning on a book Nov 2009, Nov 2010, Nov 2011. Brandon Sanderson put up his take on it on his website, sounds ver reasonable.
    See: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/56/Splitting-AMOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

The very last chapter is written I think, Jordan left behind a substantial chunk of (what was supposed to be) the last book.

Yes as I understand it RJ had some parts written, some parts were dictated and recorded (I was going to say taped but that would show my age!) and some parts are more loose ideas.

Roll on November 3rd! I have my copy preordered on Amazon :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Could he not do a quick screen wipe away from all the subplots that are in it, or else finish them off quickly, and then lash in the last chapter? I've never seen a better example of a publisher milking their fans for all they are worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Just started re readingThe eye of the world, what have i let myself in for, its a lot of reading. :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Could he not do a quick screen wipe away from all the subplots that are in it, or else finish them off quickly, and then lash in the last chapter?
    You mean you don't want to find out what happens to each and everyone of the 17664 Aes Sedai and the 4324 other women who are also strong in the Source, the Wilders and what not? Blood and ashes!
    I've never seen a better example of a publisher milking their fans for all they are worth.
    The Wheel of Time turns as does the Reels of Money in the Jordan Estate's hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Just started re readingThe eye of the world, what have i let myself in for, its a lot of reading. :eek:

Yup I hear ya... started a few months back and am on Knife of Dreams now. Its been years since I read the books and was quite enjoyable to go back over them, despite the slower pace in last few.

By the way, www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ has a great synopsis of all the books, characters, items etc. Great reference while you're reading or if you just want to catch up on the books over a few days rather than months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Could he not do a quick screen wipe away from all the subplots that are in it, or else finish them off quickly, and then lash in the last chapter? I've never seen a better example of a publisher milking their fans for all they are worth.

Oh no ya don't! We've come too far, through too many books to have the last one rushed. I don't care if they're no released for another 5 years(ok maybe I do) just so long as they're finished well. No rushed subplots, no lazy plot devices, no unexplained transitions, I want to FINALLY understand these books!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you want to understand them?

robert jordan had a decent enough idea many many years ago and started writing. Some time after that he realised he didn't have a freaking clue where he was going, what he was doing or what he intended to do when he got there (wherever there was). Then he died.

The end.

Here's a link to the first review that I know of for The Gathering Storm. There are some slight spoilers in the middle of the post, but a spoiler warning is given at the start and end of the spoilery stuff. I didn't read the spoilers (so please no discussion of information in spoilers in this thread!)

http://www.dragonmount.com/News/

It all sounds very good. As the reviewer said:
    Guided by a strong plot outline, familiar characters, and a knowledge of the franchise that was honed to a razor sharp edge by lots of research, it became quickly apparent to me (or “intuitively obvious to the most casual observer”) that Brandon was the best person in the world to take this gig, and that he did as fine as a job as was even possible. For that, I am his biggest fan…. until November 3rd at least, at which point you will be.

Roll on November!

It's taking a lot of my willpower not to read the review, but I don't want any plot spoiled for me.... I can't wait for this to come out!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frodos63

Is there any firm date for the release yet

frodos63 wrote: »
    Is there any firm date for the release yet

On Sanderson's website he's announced that it's to be released on 27 Oct in the US, so hopefully it'll be here not too long after. (See here:link)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frodos63

cheers lemon sherbert thanks for the link

And for those of you who just can't wait, here's Chapter One of the book, courtesy of the publishers! It does come after the not-yet-released Prologue however.

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=story&id=53532#audio

Here's a link to some more WoT news; the news mainly being that the Prologue is being released as an e-book (for $2.99) on September 17th.

http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=641

Read the first chapter and I have to say I'm starting to get excited about this book. The writing style is clearly different but I'd almost say its changed for the better. Can't wait for the prologue.

• Advertisement

fitz0 wrote: »
    Read the first chapter and I have to say I'm starting to get excited about this book. The writing style is clearly different but I'd almost say its changed for the better. Can't wait for the prologue.

I think it would have taken RJ twice as many words to have said essentially the same things in that chapter. Brandon Sanderson's style is certainly more compact than RJ's. I too cannot wait for the prologue.

Morgase wrote: »
    I think it would have taken RJ twice as many words to have said essentially the same things in that chapter. Brandon Sanderson's style is certainly more compact than RJ's.
    True, I'm rereading the series at the minute but just skipping over all the pointless repeated descriptions of places, coats, dresses and previous plot points. I'm on book 6, having started in mid June.

Sandersons tone focuses the series for the first time in far too long. RJ tended to ramble on more and more as the series progressed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

fitz0 wrote: »
    True, I'm rereading the series at the minute but just skipping over all the pointless repeated descriptions of places, coats, dresses and previous plot points.
    If you skip over all that, particularly in the later books, you'll only have about ten pages to get through :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

So have any of you read the prologue yet?

I don't want to say too much about it but suffice it to say it gets a thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The_Hat

Should I pre-order the book or just pick it up when its release? It's my first time being around for the release of a new WOT and I'm wondering whether its necessary.

The_Hat wrote: »
    Should I pre-order the book or just pick it up when its release? It's my first time being around for the release of a new WOT and I'm wondering whether its necessary.

I've had my copy on pre-order with Amazon for some time now but I'm a bit of a freak for WoT.

If you know you're going to pick it up in a particular bookshop it would be no harm to ring them and ask them to put one aside for you.

Less than a month to go, woo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 StewartJ

I've been staying away from all web site in case of spoilers for weeks now can't wait for the next installment :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 iercepa

considered going back over the whole series but id probably have to take a career break. its going to be sweet to get some closure on this

Advertisement