Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wheel of Time Book 12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The_Hat

It won't actually end till 2011 I think so closure be a while off yet. My only real fear is this book having some horrible cliffhanger ending and making me wait another year to find out what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

iercepa wrote: »
    considered going back over the whole series but id probably have to take a career break. its going to be sweet to get some closure on this

I've decided to wait until the final book is released before re-reading the series and only then starting on Book 12. Closure will be great, Sanderson can pull it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

just read the first chapter, i didnt really notice the "feel" of a new writer though like some people have said, and ive been awash in wot rereading for the past year!

does anyone know if there will be some kind of release event for this book in ireland? would it be well known enough for a late opening of a book shop somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

jebidiah wrote: »
    just read the first chapter, i didnt really notice the "feel" of a new writer though like some people have said, and ive been awash in wot rereading for the past year!

does anyone know if there will be some kind of release event for this book in ireland? would it be well known enough for a late opening of a book shop somewhere?

Really? Everything felt far more direct and more focused, but lacking in detail almost, though I suppose he has to do that to fit the book into the three volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Really? Everything felt far more direct and more focused, but lacking in detail almost, though I suppose he has to do that to fit the book into the three volumes.

Personally I think its a case of people expect it to be different so lo and behold it is different.

I've read chapter one and listend to the prologue and chapter two and I haven't noticed any discernable difference. I have my copy preordered on Amazon so I'm counting down the days until it arrives.

If there is a cliffhanger I may kill BS but that hasn't been the style of the books so far so I don't expect (and pray to the Creator and Great Lord to be certain) that it will be this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Wondering if it'll be available on Tuesday in Easons. Reckon I'll have to have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I've read chapter one and listend to the prologue and chapter two and I haven't noticed any discernable difference. I have my copy preordered on Amazon so I'm counting down the days until it arrives.

Got an e-mail from Amazon to say mine shipped today. Woo hoo!

I think Sanderson is going to do a far better job than Jordan did, particularly with the later books (though I did enjoy KoD - as good as the earlier books).

Re-read recently, so all up to date now, can't wait to pick it up Tues - somewhere in Dublin better have it in stock :)

Going in tomorrow morning to pick up two copies, waterstones in Jervis confirmed that they have "loads" of copies in stock and ready for release, hoping it's priced reasonably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 p1000

Agh! Just went in to Eason's in Athlone and they said Book 12 wouldn't be there for maybe another week! Havta find somewhere else. I know i've waited 4 years already so another few days shouldn't matter, but if i could get it today, why have to wait at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

p1000 wrote: »
    Agh! Just went in to Eason's in Athlone and they said Book 12 wouldn't be there for maybe another week! Havta find somewhere else. I know i've waited 4 years already so another few days shouldn't matter, but if i could get it today, why have to wait at all?

Easons on Shop Street (Galway) didn't have it either. Had to go Dubray books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I got to book 10 and just gave up , sick of it at that stage too formulaic and predictable........

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Picked up my copy today in Hodgis Figgis - its the size of a brick. only read a little on the way home so no definite opinion as of yet but what ive read i like.

Really liking it so far, its got a real sense of purpose and focus, the plot actually moves along at quite a nice pace. The prologue is both excellent and really long, nearly fifty pages, it doesn't even read as a prologue for the last thirty pages of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I just picked up book 4 in Hodges Figgis today and they said they had loads of copies of book 12. But, I'm resolutely re-reading them all before reading the new one. I was all set for a long train journey on Friday and had just finished book 3 and couldn't find my copy of number 4 anywhere - was devastated!!!
    Anyway, I'm hoping that if I take my time with these books, then by the time I get to book 12 it should be almost time for 13's release and then only one year to wait until FINALLY finding out what happens. I can't wait, but I have a horrible feeling about it. It's not going to be anything predictable.
    Did anyone ever read Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series? Do you remember the ending of that? I'm predicting something similar - aaaarrrrggggg!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Is it available to buy already? Two people mentioneh being able to buy it, in Jervis, and hodges &figgs

Yeah, waterstones in Jervis have it for 18 quid, not sure how much it is in hodges figges.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

its 21.99 in hodgis figgis - had one of the 10 eur off cards hence buying it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Agh, I'm waiting for mine from Amazon and the anticipation is getting to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Hopefully you won't have too much longer to wait - I ordered mine from Amazon too and it arrived yesterday. Fingers crossed you get it before the weekend :)

Awesome. I really, really enjoyed that. 8-9/10.

After reading it my primary emotion was satisfaction - he's done a great job. I'll post a review when I get a chance, probably plastered with spoiler tags.

Edit: some Dublin location status

Eason's O'Connell St - didn't have it Tuesday (FAIL), said it would be in Thursday (today). EUR 19.99
    Hodges Fidges - had it in stock Tuesday, EUR 23.99 afaicr
    Waterstones - had it in stock Tuesday, EUR 24.99 afaicr
    Chapters - had it in stock Tuesday, EUR 21.99 (where I got it) - had sold 50 copies by 5pm Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Waterstones are doing it for 18 quid in Jervis.

Im still undecided on this book, I'm only 4 chapters in but it feels a bit off so far. I'll hold off my final judgement until I finish it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Almost certainly 19.99, cos that's what their customer rep told me Tues. I specifically asked because it is on their website at 14.99:
    easons.ie wrote:
    Gathering Storm
    by Robert Jordan
    Part of the Christmas Catalogue Internet Exclusives promotion. Buy online today and save 25%!
    €24.70 €14.99

I posted a review of TGS here. (Spoilers are at the bottom of the post and there's plenty of warning and whitespace before you hit them. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Loved it! Some little bits that could have been better, Mat & Perrin, Elayne, Black Tower, but what was there I was very happy with. You could definitely spot Sanderson's style in parts, Mat especially. A lot of people seemed to have a problem with Verin but I thought he wrote her part quite well. Chapter sequencing was slightly unusual and I would've preferred a little more continuity.

Trying to avoid spoiling anything but I really loved the ending, the last 100 pages were really un-put-downable.

Also, good review Trojan. The one on TOR by Leigh whatsherface is pretty damn good, full of giddyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 p1000

Couldn't get it in Athlone so drove to Galway to pick it up a few days ago. Finished it last night and was thoroughly impressed; really loved the Verin chapter (that got to me) and the few following it. Thought it started off a bit slow but I shouldn't've expected anything else. Some of the characters seemed a bit different than they had but not so much that I couldn't accept them. Roll on next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The_Hat

Absolutely brilliant. Mat did seem a bit off but then I guess he won't really come into it until the next book so hopefully hell seem more like Mat then. Still, brilliant. Favourite chapters were probably 'A place to begin', 'the last that could be done' and 'night in silent hill....I mean Hinderstap'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

i'm bout half way through the gathering storm and i'm finding it v. good.
    Completely different writing style but very engaging stuff.

Advertisement