Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Shock Team ??

• 31-03-2009 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Have anyone here every received a call from a "shock team" in O2 ? I got my bill out last Thursday, €272 :eek: I had an idea what it was in relation to but hadn't realized the cost would be so bloody high. I used my sim from my mobile in one of them O2 3G modems(Which I used to be a customer of) while i was at my parents house, now not for very long and just for browsing the web and checking email. I called them about on Friday morning and the girl I sopke with was wondering why a "shock team" hadn't called me. Now I never heard of them but from speaking to a fella over the weekend he told me he had a similar experience and received the call from shock team and had actually managed to get the expense written off as a warning. He was a business user so maybe that's why they allowed him the chance.

Anyone ever experience this ?

P.S don't ever do what i did, it's too bloody costly, criminal in fact.

bill.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I think they're the guys who look for unusual spending patterns etc to prevent shock bills for customers.

It's a good proactive approach that they're taking on it.

I'm not sure about the other networks but i'd imagine they have similiar.

And please, please take responsibility for your mobile spending. It's expensive but you have options which you didn't take up. You can try call them and ask if they can do anything but they are under no obligation too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭tinofapples

And please, please take responsibility for your mobile spending. It's expensive but you have options which you didn't take up. You can try call them and ask if they can do anything but they are under no obligation too.

Like I said I had no idea it was so expensive, it's ridiculous what they charged me.

Like I said I had no idea it was so expensive, it's ridiculous what they charged me.
    And I believe it's ridiculous that you used a service without bothering to check what it cost.

The pricing is expensive but they don't hide the pricing from you. You are responsible for your usage.

This "shock team" is a value added service which isn't promised, guaranteed, promoted or obligatory on their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have to agree. They can only bill you for what you use, its you to you to monitor your usage and spend.

The fact that they have a team setup to help people when this happens is great, they are doing their bit to help the situation, users should help by knowing what they are spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Random wrote: »
    And I believe it's ridiculous that you used a service without bothering to check what it cost.

The pricing is expensive but they don't hide the pricing from you. You are responsible for your usage.

This "shock team" is a value added service which isn't promised, guaranteed, promoted or obligatory on their part.

If more people had this common sense there wouldnt be a need for a bill shock team, its like someone going into a restaurant, ordering the most expensive meal possible and not looking at the prices, then getting annoyed at the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

krudler wrote: »
    If more people had this common sense there wouldnt be a need for a bill shock team, its like someone going into a restaurant, ordering the most expensive meal possible and not looking at the prices, then getting annoyed at the cost.

I can see why it happens because in a restaurant, regardless of the meal you pick you're not going to end up paying €5000. I rarely look at the prices very closely in a restaurant and have never been shocked at the end.

But still people should check the prices before they use the service. I have actually once walked out of a restaurant because the prices were insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

This story does actually show how much the mobile networks are ripping off their customers. The OP's data charges were over 150 €. If he used a data add on it would cost him all of 7.53 € for 250 MB. To return to the restarurant analogy, this is like going into a restaurant and seeing the steak go for 150 €, then checking with the waiter, who would offer you the "smart customer steak add-on" for 7.53 €.

Why can the mobile networks get away with it? Because apparently the customers put up with it. OP, you should complain, loudly.

Here's an example...
    Go into Eddie Rockets. You get hamburger + chips + drink or malt for 9.99EUR.

If you don't order the above special and you just order them separately you will pay approx 17EUR.

Is it not your own fault for not looking at your options before purchasing?

Here's an example...
    Go into Eddie Rockets. You get hamburger + chips + drink or malt for 9.99EUR.

If you don't order the above special and you just order them separately you will pay approx 17EUR.

Is it not your own fault for not looking at your options before purchasing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

blaz wrote: »
    Why can the mobile networks get away with it? Because apparently the customers put up with it. OP, you should complain, loudly.

The network can only advertise their products, they cant explain and tell everyone individually.

• Advertisement

OP - your question in relation to the O2 Shock Team has been answered. Should you wish to complain further about data pricing and specifically how far you beleive a mobile network is obliged to go with it please use the Consumer Issues forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

OP - should you wish to add a final comment to this thread please drop me a PM and I will add it in for you.

This thread is now closed.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement