Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession NZ

Options
  • 31-03-2009 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey,

i was wondering how NZ is or will be affected by the recession.
    I do not have any information on the current situation but i would be great if ye could fill me in....

Sumse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

nz went into recession before ireland did. that said, we're weathering it a lot better than the irish. it's a little bit harder to get a job, and little by little, more people are losing theirs... but absolutely incomparable to what it's like in ireland at the moment, and, from my experiences, nowhere near as bad as it is in sydney either (i can't speak for the rest of oz, but definitely, not as bad here as sydney).

there's still signs looking for new workers outside shop windows, every other small shop hasnt closed down, through the grapevine, and friends of freinds, i only know of three people who've been let go, and i know one of them has a new job already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

There are jobs to be had but it really depends on what type of job you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SunSeaSand

Does anyone know anything about availability/demand in area of teaching/substitute teaching/childcare work?

really really low on qualified early childhood peeps here... you'll be welcomed with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SunSeaSand

Hi Crumble Foo, that's great news! I have a postgrad qualific in Early Ed. Do you know any more detail on the shortage of Early ed personnell? Are you working in this area yourself?

• Advertisement

emmmm... no i don't have any. ive been working as a reliever in preschools for the last year, and have heard it referred to many times. when my visa didnt come through last christmas, the staff at the preschool i'd been temporary-long term with were shocked, and couldnt believe i wasnt let in, cos there is such a shortage... they've had advertising out for about 6months, and still hadn't found a teacher (which is why i'd been working with them for so long).

it is there, im not sure if it's still on the shortage skills list, that changes quite frequently, but give it a check, it'd be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

SunSeaSand wrote: »
    Hi Crumble Foo, that's great news! I have a postgrad qualific in Early Ed. Do you know any more detail on the shortage of Early ed personnell? Are you working in this area yourself?

Yes, there is a shortage, and there are targets to have all early-childhood workers qualified and registered by 2012 (not sure if that date may have changed).

But you need to check that your qualification is recognised, and good enough. www.nzqa.govt.nz may be a good starting point, or perhaps some of the early-childhood sites.

(I believe that Montessori training isn't well regarded in NZ: two years ago, people were saying that teachers with only Mont. quals would have to upskill. Don't know if that has changed at all.)

Advertisement