Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Phone line

Options
  • 31-03-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I've recently had DSL installed in a new apartment where the phone lines were already set up, 1 phone line is in the sitting room and 1 phone line is in the bedroom. The modem/router is connected to the sitting room line but I want to run a cable from the phone line in the bedroom direct to the xbox because the router signal is just not good enough, the problem is when i connect the router/modem to the phone line in the bedroom there is no DSL connection on the modem, Does anyone know why is this happening ?? the bedroom is only about a metre away from the sitting room and the phone line doesn't look like it has been damaged in any way. I've talked to digiweb and they've told me that I should have the dsl on both lines.. Help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Do you get a dial tone in the bedroom when you test it with a handset?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭travispickle8

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Do you get a dial tone in the bedroom when you test it with a handset?

I haven't tested it yet with a handset (don't have any) but when I connect the modem there is 1 wan green light but no light for DSL or intranet.
    I'll get a handset today to see if there is a dial tone.

I haven't tested it yet with a handset (don't have any) but when I connect the modem there is 1 wan green light but no light for DSL or intranet.
    I'll get a handset today to see if there is a dial tone.
    Good, it's the easiest way to find out if there is a wiring issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

On the phone socket in the sitting room, is it a single or double socket? eircom sometimes put in a double socket, with the filter built into it, which means you can only plug the modem into this socket, as all other sockets in the house are on the non-DSL filtered side.

If this is the case, you're fairly screwed. I've only seen such a socket once, and it does make moving the modem very difficult.

The other case would be if the line in the bedroom isn't even wired, in which case you'd just have to wire it up.

jor el wrote: »
    On the phone socket in the sitting room, is it a single or double socket? eircom sometimes put in a double socket, with the filter built into it, which means you can only plug the modem into this socket, as all other sockets in the house are on the non-DSL filtered side.

If this is the case, you're fairly screwed. I've only seen such a socket once, and it does make moving the modem very difficult.

The other case would be if the line in the bedroom isn't even wired, in which case you'd just have to wire it up.

The socket in the sitting room is a single one, I'm going to test a handset on it later.. If it isn't wired up how would i go about doing that ?? is it just open up the socket or is it something on the outside.. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wiring will depend on the circumstances, whether there's even a cable behind the socket, does it extend to the first one, and so on. If there's no dial tone, then you'll need to open the socket to see what's behind it.

jor el wrote: »
    Wiring will depend on the circumstances, whether there's even a cable behind the socket, does it extend to the first one, and so on. If there's no dial tone, then you'll need to open the socket to see what's behind it.

I've tried a handset and there is no dial tone at all.. I've opened up the socket and all the wires are connected where they should be.
    Do I need to get on to Eircom to ask them to switch the socket on. ????

I've tried a handset and there is no dial tone at all.. I've opened up the socket and all the wires are connected where they should be.
    Do I need to get on to Eircom to ask them to switch the socket on. ????
    If the socket is working in the sitting room, then it's already turned on but there is some issue between that socket and the one in your bedroom. Is it definately an extension socket? If so, you may need to just get an electrician in to have a look at it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

If it's a new appt then add this to your snag list and get the electrician to sort it out for you.

If the socket is working in the sitting room, then it's already turned on but there is some issue between that socket and the one in your bedroom. Is it definately an extension socket? If so, you may need to just get an electrician in to have a look at it for you.

How do you mean an "extension socket" I can just see a socket on the wall and all the wires go under the floor boards.
    If 1 line is turned on the other should be on aswell right ??
    Is this an eircom issue or would digiweb fix it for me.
    I've only just moved to the apartment and I'm now thinking that maybe the previous tenants had 2 separate phone lines ..
    Is there always a dial tone even if the bill has been canceled ??

• Advertisement

How do you mean an "extension socket" I can just see a socket on the wall and all the wires go under the floor boards.
    If 1 line is turned on the other should be on aswell right ??
    Is this an eircom issue or would digiweb fix it for me.
    I've only just moved to the apartment and I'm now thinking that maybe the previous tenants had 2 separate phone lines ..
    Is there always a dial tone even if the bill has been canceled ??
    1. Like in most houses, the first socket in the house is the main telephone point (MTP) and the rest of the sockets and usually an extension off it, split at the MTP around the house.
    2. If they are in fact connected together, both should get a dial tone (this is why you may need an electrician / landlord in for a snag list as travispickle8 said).
    3. Eircom only have to fix your MTP (Eircom NTU) and the rest is your own responsibility.
    4. If this is the case, you should contact the previous tenants to find out about this.
    5. No, there will be only a dial tone if an active account is setup with a phone line / BB provider.

1. Like in most houses, the first socket in the house is the main telephone point (MTP) and the rest of the sockets and usually an extension off it, split at the MTP around the house.
    2. If they are in fact connected together, both should get a dial tone (this is why you may need an electrician / landlord in for a snag list as travispickle8 said).
    3. Eircom only have to fix your MTP (Eircom NTU) and the rest is your own responsibility.
    4. If this is the case, you should contact the previous tenants to find out about this.
    5. No, there will be only a dial tone if an active account is setup with a phone line / BB provider.

Thanks for your help mate.. its sounds like a lot of bother I think i might just run a big ethernet cable to the bedroom if i can't get the socket turned on.

Thanks for your help mate.. its sounds like a lot of bother I think i might just run a big ethernet cable to the bedroom if i can't get the socket turned on.
    Definately a wise option... cheers!

Advertisement