Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finest buns and cakes in dublin

• 31-03-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

ok this is a strange request. can people give opinions as to the places in dublin that sell the nicest buns and small cakes in dublin.

if money wasn't an issue and you could have a cake/bun/pastry from wherever you wanted. where would you chose??? :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

has to be avoca yum yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 dopes

the butlers pantry.... everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondePrincess

Ann's Bakery opposite the jervis centre! Yum!! It doesn't look great form the outside but their cream cakes are divine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Gammels in Ranelagh on the corner at the triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Superquinn!!

Guess it just reminds me of my childhood getting an eclair or some other cream cake.

Delish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah Superquinns are good. Their Meringues and Coffee slices are delish. Cafe Leon on Wicklow st. are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Mannings on thomas street do great coffee choux buns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

thunders in clontarf- yum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Peggy's Bakery in Glasthule. Anything from there, as a kid I loved the small sponge rolls with that brown raisiny mush inside. They have what looks like a chocolate spill with raisins and nuts mixed in, along with fruit peel, no idea what the proper name for it is. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Amalgam wrote: »
    Peggy's Bakery in Glasthule. Anything from there, as a kid I loved the small sponge rolls with that brown raisiny mush inside. They have what looks like a chocolate spill with raisins and nuts mixed in, along with fruit peel, no idea what the proper name for it is. Yum.

I have found this place very disappointing and over-priced tbh. The Butler's Pantry down the road from it is much better imo, though Poppies in Dun laoghaire main street is the best of them all. Nyom :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Mannings bakery in both the Square SC and Blanchardstown SC do a great selection of cakes also Clarkes bread and cake shop in Phibsboro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Have none of you crazy bun loving people been to Queen of Tarts across from Dublin Castle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Amazing buns there! Especially on the tall Polish one, yowzer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Depends on the type of bun/cake. Old school - Superquinn. New fangled stuff - Avoca.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Can someone help me out, as a kid my Dad would bring home a tiny square chocolate covered cake with a tiny little diamond of frosted peel (usually green), decorating, dead center on top, the cake itself was sponge inside with a jam layer. It was from Bewley's I think, a 'Mary' cake? I used to love their 'Dutch buns' as well.. dipping them in coffee.

Advertisement