Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SEA Route

• 31-03-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Can some one suggest me a travel route. The plan is filghting to bankok on a return ticket for 10 weeks, We (couple) want to go to Thailand, Cambodia, laos & vietnan.
    We want to go to Chang mai (tresking), thai islands ? Ankor wat, tubing in laos, and travel from Hanoi to Ho chi min city along the coast before returning to bangkok, We want to travel by cheap flights between cities/borders and take trains as much as possible over busses.
    Anyone suggest an ideal route for this trip ???
    Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

If ye are planning on flights, it's very flexible what you can do tbh. Be aware though, I've noticed that the international flights are quite pricey. Internal flights in each country are more reasonable.

One suggested route off the top of my head...
    You can fly up to Chang mai from Bangkok. I'd suggest crossing the border into Laos then and head for Luang Prabang (on the Mekong river). Then take the Mekong river route down through Laos. Cross into Cambodia. Do Siem Reap and head down to Phomn Pehn. Cross the border to Vietnam (Ho Chi Min) and work your way up the coast to Hanoi. From there, get a flight back to southern Thailand. Go to the islands and get the train/boat/plane back to Bangkok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

how pricy are international flights ? i looked a few months ago and saw they were around 50-80 euros each, and internal ones were around 40+.
    Do these aorlines charge for checked in rucksacks too ?

The route sound pretty good too, i need to get planning fast as were off in 4 weeks
    i'l have to map it out and see how it looks, we had originally planned on having no plan and just skip about the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Bacchus wrote: »
    If ye are planning on flights, it's very flexible what you can do tbh. Be aware though, I've noticed that the international flights are quite pricey. Internal flights in each country are more reasonable.

One suggested route off the top of my head...
    You can fly up to Chang mai from Bangkok. I'd suggest crossing the border into Laos then and head for Luang Prabang (on the Mekong river). Then take the Mekong river route down through Laos. Cross into Cambodia. Do Siem Reap and head down to Phomn Pehn. Cross the border to Vietnam (Ho Chi Min) and work your way up the coast to Hanoi. From there, get a flight back to southern Thailand. Go to the islands and get the train/boat/plane back to Bangkok.

+1 for this - sounds like the ideal route.

As an example of flight prices I paid around $160 for a flight from Siem Reap in Cambodia to Bangkok (booked with a local travel agent at 6pm one evening for flight time 7am the next morning) Air Asia - 15k of baggage included in price
    I took another flight from Ventienne in Laos to Siem Reap for around $170 booked with a local agent around 2 days in advance. Laos air or whatever the local Laos airline is called. Around the same baggage allowance as Air Aisa

Advertisement