Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5hp Aux engine problem

Options
  • 31-03-2009 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hello everyone,

I have a small problem, i dug out my little 5hp Yami 2stroke outboard from the back of the shed, to use as an aux engine on my boat.

The engine is fine, starts well, works in foward and reverse etc... but its not taking in water to cool itself.

Im sure this is quite a common problem with outboards so im just wondering if there is any advice or simple checks i should do before i have to pay to get it fixed by a marine mechanic, im thinking there could be a blockage in the shaft or a faulty water pump?

Any advice would be very helpfull, thanks;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Ths intake could be clogged with salt residue/crud; sometimes a clothes hanger can free this. The impellor would be another thing to check. Do you have the manual? There is a website that has most manuals, but I have it bookmarked at home. A bit of googling might find some more precise tips. Powerboat.ie might be more helpful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

I had a similar problem, but it wasn't the inlet that was blocked, it was the outlet pipe. A wooden cocktail stick poked into the hole cleared the salt accumulation and water started spraying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

Get a small bit of wire, Clothes hanger works well, and poke it down the intakes.
    Also check if they are clogged with seaweed or something along those lines, but that can be cleaned out with the clothes hanger too.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Sounds like impellor to me.

Advertisement