Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is limerick really THIS bad?

Options
  • 31-03-2009 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Says it all for me tbh....

2937ryv.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

+1
    yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Not sure, I live in Limerick City. Never see any bother. I hear about it on the Radio, newspaper.

I think its just parts of it. Has a bad reputation unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

no...

like all places it has it's bad spots. i've never had any trouble and i've been here all my life.

btw, just out of curiosity, where is the OP from

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Its not that bad some bad estates in the city alright though. Been living in Limerick for 6 years:3 years work and 3 years college and never had any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Is LImerick that bad?

It's a bit like asking "Do the Irish drink a lot?"

If a Paddy is asking a Paddy, then it's "Ah Ha Ha - Jaysus yeah, aren't we divils for it sure."

If a foreigner is asking a Paddy, then different story. It's "Who ju talking about Willis?".

• Registered Users Posts: 41 IrishGooner83

Ahh, Like everywhere course it has some pretty ad areas... They all happen to be within walking disance to the city centre so it sometimes appears a lot worse than it can be.... Typically unless your unlucky (which unfortunately does happen too), you wont find trouble unless your looking for it...

To put it in perspective. Dublin has had 11 gangland shootings in the last 12 weeks.... Where's the media bandwagon coverage for this?

Would be 24/7 news if anything of this scale happened in Limerick!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭So Many Shoes

No offence Op but these type of questions really annoy me!

I've never had a bit of trouble in Limerick but in saying that I won't be going into any of the "well known bad" estates any time soon!

Its like IrishGooner83 said Dublin has its fair share of killings but never the same amount of hype. I was listening to the news this morning and it said that a body was found from a gangland shooting, that was at 8 o clock. I didn't hear anything about it in the news at 4?? But if that was about Limerick it would be breaking news every half hour....

Ya there are some families that I wouldn't want to be associated with but I'm sure that's the same for every town/city in Ireland...

Sorry about the rant, but Limerick isn't that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Would be 24/7 news if anything of this scale happened in Limerick!

Because it has a certain history regarding gangland feuds?
    Because LIM is just a wee bit smaller then the capital?

But i'm not going into a statistics debate here again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭So Many Shoes

But obviously Dublin has the same history of gangland funds, its just its not talked about as much....

I know Linerick is smaller then Dublin but it is just 2 (4 including there "associates") families in Limerick that are fighting. I don't think Limerick should be tarnished with being "that bad" when it's only certain people ruining certain parts of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Limerick is as good/bad as you want it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭indenial

I spent 5 years in Limerick and it was my first city ever living in. There are some amount of knackers just walking around the city. I thought this was the norm until I went to Cork, Galway and Dublin. For some reason there is a rougher element in Limerick than other city's.

In saying all that, I only ever got hassle there once when a knacker walked up to me in Burger King demanding money off me or his buddies would beat me up outside. When I told him he was getting nothing off me he just moved on to the next people.

Wouldn't advise anyone to hang around supermacs on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Stupid thread in all fairness! Its trolling of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So my question to the OP is. Did you go onto the Dublin forum and post a similar thread called "Is Dublin really THIS bad?" with lots of links to news reports on the different gangland related killings over the last couple of months alone? Or did you post a similar themed thread in the North forum about the 2 British soldiers and a PNSI officer killed recently?

So I ask what is the motive here other than an attempt at trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

obvious troll, but
    1) Scumbag funeral was a self inflicted gunshot wound
    2) Creamer died in the UK
    3) Crescent stabbing was an eastern european drunkenly injuring himself
    4) Irelands toughest town didnt feature Limerick after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

No. Limerick is not 'this' bad. There is a feud out of control in Limerick and people are, simplistically, associating this with the whole of Limerick. Sure thats insane.
    Why dont we all say "Limerick is rich" cos Dolores the Millionaire, and family are from Limerick?
    You might be trolling but might I stand (or type) proudly and state Im proud to be living here. I love the people here. We're friendly, we're courteous, and great fun.
    There's eejits and scum in every city.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Because it has a certain history regarding gangland feuds?
    Because LIM is just a wee bit smaller then the capital?

But i'm not going into a statistics debate here again!!!

Pffft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

wat the hell are you ppl on about. this city is an absolute disgrace and deserves the attention it gets. i am in my 20s and have lived in the center my whole life bar some periods of a few months in foriegn lands. i love limerick. i have relatives in all these estates that have the rep. my relatives wouldnt be into all that stuff or any other tbh. if they where they wouldnt be a relative of mine bar the blood connection:)

anyways back to my point its not just "the fued". limerick is full of scum. walk into town at the weekend and scum everywhere. there are even spots in the center where not just alcos hang out but junkies too. ive spent time in some rough cities and other cities in this country and nowhere lets this type of behaviour happen.

if a tourist to this city wanted to go see our "meeca" (thomond park:)) they would have to get a taxi or risk been mugged either in moyross or d'island. there are other ways to walk to avoid all that crap so consult your local tour guide.

if a tourist didnt know about supermacs or burger king or hmv or lobster pot or parnell street or dock road area or clancys strand on a saturday night what do you think they would see?????

the sad truth is we as a people have turned an eye to this behaviour and thought "i dont wanna be a rat". thats why we as a people deserve all this crap.

to sum it up Limerick is a small town with a big bad name. its the one of the nicest places with alot of tour spots but at night lock your doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Why didn't the mods lock this thread after post 1? Tiresome rubbish that's trotted out all too frequently.

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    Why didn't the mods lock this thread after post 1? Tiresome rubbish that's trotted out all too frequently.

but aint this the point in public opinion boards? you dont have to take part in a public discusion if you dont want to. sure this will prob come up again in about a year or 2 weeks:) but doesnt public opinion change even slightly after a period of time. id rather moan here and get it off my chest than in the pub where ill piss some1 off and get killed:) lol not really killed but ya know wat i mean. lighten up guys i know i said things are bad but at the end of the day when its realised how bad it is then it can and hopefully will be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Stop feeding the troll thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Paulegend wrote: »
    wat the hell are you ppl on about. this city is an absolute disgrace and deserves the attention it gets.

No it doesnt, it isnt a disgrace, the whole country is exactly the same. It certainly doesnt deserve the attention it gets.
    i love limerick.

Really doubt that!

anyways back to my point its not just "the fued". limerick is full of scum. walk into town at the weekend and scum everywhere. there are even spots in the center where not just alcos hang out but junkies too. ive spent time in some rough cities and other cities in this country and nowhere lets this type of behaviour happen.

Are you serious? I thought I had seen the biggest amount of BS ever on boards last week over on AH, but i think you have taken the award here!

if a tourist to this city wanted to go see our "meeca" (thomond park:)) they would have to get a taxi or risk been mugged either in moyross or d'island. there are other ways to walk to avoid all that crap so consult your local tour guide.

Okay, you dont have to walk through d'island or moyross to get there, especially from hotels and i have been in one of the toughest cities in the world (LA) and i would prefer to walk from the likes of the absolute hotel through thomondgate to get to the ground. Its a lot safer than walking in parts of LA. Plus i have done it many times!

if a tourist didnt know about supermacs or burger king or hmv or lobster pot or parnell street or dock road area or clancys strand on a saturday night what do you think they would see?????

Well if they happened upon these areas, i presume you are talking about when the clubs and bars shut?? If thats the case, then it will be exactly the same as any other town/city in this country.
    the sad truth is we as a people have turned an eye to this behaviour and thought "i dont wanna be a rat". thats why we as a people deserve all this crap.

We certainly dont deserve it, but how many times has someone called the gardai and havent got a great response, maybe thats why people are not so forthcoming. But thats a whole different topic!!
    to sum it up Limerick is a small town with a big bad name. its the one of the nicest places with alot of tour spots but at night lock your doors.

To sum it up Limerick is a city (hard to believe??) with two or so families that cause trouble and paint this city with a bad name. The sooner they kill themselves off the better. Limerick has a lot of positives going for it. Bear that in mind when you are talking about Limerick in the future!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Does Limerick get more attention than it deserves - Yes!

Given the size of the city does it appear to have an excessive amount of scum - Yes!

Is it completely retarded to compare Limerick to L.A. or even Dublin - Yes!

thank u very much. seriously there dont seem to be alot of people that care enough to talk about this. story from my point of veiw is

one time i was at home with my mom
    beside my house a car pulled up very fast almost knocking the wall and parking beside the tv but anywho. the gardAI Took an hour to get to the scene in which l;eft the crinimal scum enough time to come back and burn the car out(a car which could have beeen returned)(if u did this think again). my poor little mom was at home. if alone wat wud she do!! this scum dont deserve inocent til proven guilty.

this is one of many limerick stories i have. things are bad!

please keep the post open and show every1 wat is wrong in this town. lets help the change!!!!!

No it doesnt, it isnt a disgrace, the whole country is exactly the same. It certainly doesnt deserve the attention it gets.

Really doubt that!

o realyy???? listen i can tell you stories if kids in school with guns and i was held at knife point!!!!! in this hell city

Are you serious? I thought I had seen the biggest amount of BS ever on boards last week over on AH, but i think you have taken the award here!

what are you basing this on. people like you will say limerick has gotten bad press because a child was burned alive(not killed but justify it)

Okay, you dont have to walk through d'island or moyross to get there, especially from hotels and i have been in one of the toughest cities in the world (LA) and i would prefer to walk from the likes of the absolute hotel through thomondgate to get to the ground. Its a lot safer than walking in parts of LA. Plus i have done it many times!

i said u dont have to walk through there.

you walk from brisbane "the village" to kangaroo point. you dont have a clue. i lived in la

Well if they happened upon these areas, i presume you are talking about when the clubs and bars shut?? If thats the case, then it will be exactly the same as any other town/city in this country.

does that make it better. i said that other places are like this. im just not pretendening limerick is exaderated

We certainly dont deserve it, but how many times has someone called the gardai and havent got a great response, maybe thats why people are not so forthcoming. But thats a whole different topic!!

my dads house was broken into by the (can i mention name?) 3 times. then was burned while he was at work. only because ppl where chicken to say who was doing it. now he is broke without work and work living on the streets. because ppl didnt wanna be rats..........

bull!!!!!!

not a different topic to me

To sum it up Limerick is a city (hard to believe??) with two or so families that cause trouble and paint this city with a bad name. The sooner they kill themselves off the better. Limerick has a lot of positives going for it. Bear that in mind when you are talking about Limerick in the future!!

limerick does have alot of positives. i love limerick but lets stop dreaming and sort it. im not giving up!!!!

if ye wont help ill still keep trying but i do need help.

please dont stop this post beacause tjhis is something that matters. people need to know how the city feels. then it can be fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Almost impossible to decipher whether parts of that last post are meant to be quotes from other posters, but just as one example:
    how many times has someone called the gardai and havent got a great response

HOW in the HELL is this specific to Limerick ? It applies countrywide, and even moreso in remote rural areas where Government neglect has ensured that it can take HOURS for Gardai to arrive.

If you're going to say "Limerick's THIS bad", then you're going to have to point out things that are uniquely bad or extreme in Limerick.

Yes, there are a fair of drunking, arrogant scumbags and "trailer trash" whose idea of a night out is to puke or piss on the main street @ 3am, but I've encountered those in Dublin, Galway, Cahir, Kilkenny, and pretty much everywhere else....Ireland population is in a bad way in some regards....but that's by no means unique to Limerick.

Neither is the drug feud, which is as bad if not worse in Dublin. Both have claimed mostly scum lives, but both have claimed at least one innocent life each, which is two too many.

Burying heads in sand won't fix what's wrong, but singling it out despite some things being a nationwide problem isn't helpful either.

Riots in Belfast, anyone ? And don't mention the "special circumstances" or so-called "war" there; that ended years ago.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Almost impossible to decipher whether parts of that last post are meant to be quotes from other posters, but just as one example:

HOW in the HELL is this specific to Limerick ? It applies countrywide, and even moreso in remote rural areas where Government neglect has ensured that it can take HOURS for Gardai to arrive.

If you're going to say "Limerick's THIS bad", then you're going to have to point out things that are uniquely bad or extreme in Limerick.

Yes, there are a fair of drunking, arrogant scumbags and "trailer trash" whose idea of a night out is to puke or piss on the main street @ 3am, but I've encountered those in Dublin, Galway, Cahir, Kilkenny, and pretty much everywhere else....Ireland population is in a bad way in some regards....but that's by no means unique to Limerick.

Neither is the drug feud, which is as bad if not worse in Dublin. Both have claimed mostly scum lives, but both have claimed at least one innocent life each, which is two too many.

Burying heads in sand won't fix what's wrong, but singling it out despite some things being a nationwide problem isn't helpful either.

Riots in Belfast, anyone ? And don't mention the "special circumstances" or so-called "war" there; that ended years ago.

i apologise for the last post by me. i started posting in a qoute and deleted the the qoutations.........

yea i do believe this is something Irish bound and not just Limerick bound BUT we are in Limerick and must fix it at a local level before we can fix it at a national one. this country is in big trouble right noW!!

believe it or not it dont change a thing!!

burying heads in sand is the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are so many people that dont wanna be rats!!! but where does it end?

one guy had his house broken into for 3 weeks!!! every few days. the first night had his sons that where beaten and very very hurt emotionaly and phisically. these people wheree ordinory people!!!!!!!! after 3 weeks of stolen stuff this house was burned to the ground!!!!! everything that wasnt stolen was destroyed! all because when asked the neighbours said "we didnt see who did it!!!" it was south hill i know who did it! i was the kid beaten to a bloody pulp and because people that where at their windows watching on "didnt see it" my father lost everything!!!!!!!!!

just because some1 doesnt wanna be a "rat" dont make it better!!!!

THAT IS LIMERICK

say wat ever u want but LIMERICK can go to hell

i will ask that this post doesnt close please. my reason is that at least politions out there will notice this and see what we think of our "world"

if you have something good to say about limerick please post for the others. or else whats the point in looking for guests. we have alot of good points. sorry that i just see the bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Limerick has 40% social housing the highest for any city in ireland but whats worse is that it is grouped tightly in estates. Also it has to be said that limerick has a small footprint with many housing areas bordering on the city centre thus increasing the drift of certain types into town.

Even with this imo limerick it one me the safer towns in ireland in 29 years i have seen and been a victim of much worse in places like sligo and cork.

Most people obviously dont remember limerick in the 80's a dried up post industrial town with its back to the river and worse social problems than today. Now the city is in mid transmation turning itself around figuratively and literally. OK the recession has slowed this but change is coming and i'm looking forward to the end result.

And as I have said on countless other threads Limerick is home to the regional offices of all the major irish papers not cork or galway thus why we get to the front page so fast

Paul you've obviously had a bad run and i'm sorry for that but limerick is a far better city than it used to be

Advertisement