Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is limerick really THIS bad?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

When i was in secondary school there was this lad few years ahead of us, we all called him Jesus, cos he looked like him.

Met him out one night, and told him, and he totally didnt know he was called jesus, was very funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

When i was in secondary school there was this lad few years ahead of us, we all called him Jesus, cos he looked like him.

Met him out one night, and told him, and he totally didnt know he was called jesus, was very funny!

need to be there type thing?:confused:

Yeah sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

old boy wrote: »
    i know a guy that kinda looks like bin laden, he takes pride in it, he even answers to bin laden some people do not even know his birth name, only his knick name.

I knew a guy who looked like Uday Huessein in the paper after he and his brother were killed.
    I said it to him and showed everyone the picture.
    Ever since then, everyone has called him Uday, and I mean everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

lg123 wrote: »
    i'm of a similar opinion to this poster, i havnt had a bad experience yet but there is an unreal amount of scumbags around compared to similar sized cities such as galway or cork.

it was put into words perfectly by the mayor of Limerick on the late late show back i think on the 27th of february..go to rte web page and look for it..
    when asked how its so bad he simply pointed to 2 things

city boundary (governed by 3 local authorities)

and police..after it was seen that limerick ws short 500 gardai the added that to the city and he said the violence has ceased drastically..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I lived there out by Moyross, and never had any hastle. During all that time there was only one murder down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Is Limerick this bad?

Yes and No.

It has plenty of bad things about it that many like to gloss over and make out like it does not happen, and it does seem to have a huge amount of scum compared to other cities.

But..

There is also plenty of good things about Limerick that those who wish to knock the place tend to ignore when they want to paint the place as awful. Having lived on mainland Europe, the UK, and four of the major cities/towns in Ireland, I can safely say in my opinion that Limerick is not the worst by any stretch, nor is it the best that I have lived in, it is not so much as good as you make it to be yourself because sometimes people get stuck in an area with terrible anti social stuff going on, and it is not always the so called bad spots where this goes on either. But for a large amount of people it is a good town, and one that with the right planning and policing could garner a much better reputation and be even better to live in.

Personally I only tend to slag Limerick off when I am talking with another person who is from Limerick, and when the other person is in a position to comment either way on whatever I am waffling about. I tend to talk the place up when talking to anyone who is not from Limerick as the place has a bad enough image with many who have not been here that it does not need those living here confirming that stereotype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Kess73 wrote: »
    Is Limerick this bad?

Yes and No.

+1 Kess.....the only difference being the OP's capitalisation of the word "THIS", which means the answer is a straight "No".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Its been already mentioned in this thread, but what bugs me is the compartively high amount of scum that inhabit certain parts of the city and its environs, you certainly don't have anywhere near as much scum in Cork, Galway or Waterford.

What are the historical demographics that have caused this situation to conspire?

grenache wrote: »
    Its been already mentioned in this thread, but what bugs me is the compartively high amount of scum that inhabit certain parts of the city and its environs, you certainly don't have anywhere near as much scum in Cork, Galway or Waterford.

What are the historical demographics that have caused this situation to conspire?

The highest % of social housing in any Irish city is what has led to it. Not to say that all in social housing are the type of person that cause trouble, far from it, but it is no secret in any city that a large amount of troublemakers, numberwise not percentagewise, come from areas with high amounts of social housing. I think Limerick was coming in at between 40% and 50% of all houses in the city being of a social housing nature, which is a staggering figure.

And those houses are spread out all over the city, so it spreads out the scum and gives them lots of areas to exploit. But it would be wrong for anyone to point the finger at the usual suspects in terms of estates, it is too easy to blindly say that all the trouble comes from Southill, Moyross etc, when I can see with my own two eyes that spots like the Father Russell road have an anti social problem starting to build up, and I have no doubts that it is like that in pockets all over the city, with scum and wannabe scum popping up with no regard for others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Just for the record, the term "stab city" wasnt invented by the Dublin Media, it was invented by our very own Gerry Stembridge. And this thing so many of us down here do of using dublin as a way of defending Limerick is pathetic! We cant take criticism so we attack Dublin....The OP never mentioned Dublin but almost everyone here has...and this Dublin Media thing is hilarious! Paul Williams is from Leitrim!!! Why cant we face up to ur problems without saying "ah well, Dublin is worse"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭JackieRyan

Hi
    I am from limerick ,and i love living here,i have raised three of whom work and one about to do his leaving ,and i am from one of the so called bad estates in limerick,which is on the news very frequently, the decent people in limerick far outnumber the undesirables ,it seems most folks just want to bash limerick without ever having being here and finding out for themselves the great majority of people are decent friendly hardworking ,and caring

Liam79 wrote: »
    Why cant we face up to ur problems without saying "ah well, Dublin is worse"

Because as a result of the crap that's printed (and 3-year-old stories regurgitated at every opportunity), people post threads on the internet asking if Limerick is "really THIS bad"......

The "not as bad as other places, like Dublin" is a perfectly valid response to that.

Yes, you're right in saying that "look, Bertie wasn't as bad as Haughey" isn't a defence for our most recent ex-taoiseach, but it is understandable that people take that stance......
    Liam79 wrote: »
    Just for the record, the term "stab city" wasnt invented by the Dublin Media, it was invented by our very own Gerry Stembridge.

Yes, it was a TINY part of a satirical show with Dermot Morgan - remember him ? He's dead YEARS.....so do you have any other examples of 20-year-old barely-funny jokes ?

And do you think people would find them funny if you used them nowadays......? That's even being generous and implying that they're actually meant in a funny way, which they're usually not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭JackieRyan

As
    we all discuss if limerick is really this bad ,a man has being shot dead in a bar in limerick where he worked ,i think but am not sure he was shot before in the leg when he refused to serve the underage sister of one of limericks most notorious families,the 1st part of this post is true it is now on the national news ,the second part i am not 100o/o of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Man-shot-dead-in-Roxboro.5158725.jp

or is it technically county limerick (for the statistics, you know) and again has nothing to do with limerick city?

No, i think thats city!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

[rant]

I finally figured out why Limerick is so full of scumbags ......... it's because they keep shooting lovely fellows from lovely families .

Just back from the butchers where someone was saying that he was a lovely fellow that got shot from a very nice family , this maybe the case this time but for the love of god I am sick of hearing it over and over again . Are the scumbags targetting nice people so that they can out number them eventually .

In the real world nice people don't usually get shot .

[/ rant off ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Man-shot-dead-in-Roxboro.5158725.jp

or is it technically county limerick (for the statistics, you know) and again has nothing to do with limerick city?

Nope, its the city....right across the road from the Garda station!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Do Wan

I hear the guy who got shot is the guy who owns and runs the steering wheel and also the old pike inn, where Wayne Dundon shot one of his bar staff and subsequently got locked up for it

Whatever about the ACTUAL occurrences in the city, the OP's original post showed a screen grab which included thread titles "stabbing in Crescent SC" (some idiot stabbed HIMSELF) and "Ireland's toughest town" (without checking what conclusions that thread came to) and a thread about a scumbag funeral (every town in Ireland has those).

And then they added a snide "says it all for me", as if the above were FACTUALLY correct and beyond contradiction, despite them being DISCUSSIONS and not FACTS.

So the answer is NO. Regardless of WHAT the ill-informed post and say "says it all for me".

Is it dodgy in some parts ? Yes. Is it as bad as the OP was trying to make out ? No

And since the OP said "is it really THIS bad", accompanied by the screenshot of which 2 of the 4 were irrelevant to the discussion (to which I presume the THIS applies) the answer is "no".

Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mr. Croft

It is THAT bad, just walk down William street and look at the state of all the pramfaces, its hardly a quaint little city is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I lived in Limerick for about five months last Summer. I have lived the rest of my life in Cork City. The area that I had my humble abode in was in Raheen and to be honest it was a very good area. Never had any trouble or saw anything suspicious. It was just a nice, pleasant suburb.
    However venturing into town was a different story altogether. I found the number of scumbags on O'Connell St to be much more in your face than you would find on Patrick St. in Cork. Cork has some dodgy streets but none of them are main street thoroughfares really, but in Limerick I found that the main street had a high level of undesirables. I think it was brought to the forefront one time when it was raining and I was dashing for a bus and over a 80m stretch of footpath I was physically harassed for money 3 times. In Cork I have been harassed only twice in my entire life and both times it was down alleys. I don't know why it is but I found that scumbags in Limerick just felt like they had the run of the place and were never going to be opposed.
    I can't remember the name of the street which leads off O'Connell Street and up a hill and has numerous places to sit down on but I do know that after sitting their twice and being harassed that I would never sit there again. Its a real shame too as the street is nice. Its the one near Subway.
    Comparing Limerick to Dublin is a silly comparison. Crime levels in Limerick should be compared to Cork and Galway, cities with similar populations and demographics. In that comparison I imagine you will find that per capita Limerick has higher levels of petty crime all the way through to gang related murder.

On a side note, when I was growing up Cork was a much rougher place. It wasn't too long ago that every Saturday night for about 6/7 weeks there was someone beaten unconscious on Grand Parade by the fountain. One poor lad is still in intensive care because of it if I remember correctly. I don't know how things changed but whatever the gardai in Cork did to clear our streets to acceptable levels, I hope that the Gardai in Limerick do likewise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Do Wan

D-Generate wrote: »
    I lived in Limerick for about five months last Summer. I have lived the rest of my life in Cork City. The area that I had my humble abode in was in Raheen and to be honest it was a very good area. Never had any trouble or saw anything suspicious. It was just a nice, pleasant suburb.
    However venturing into town was a different story altogether. I found the number of scumbags on O'Connell St to be much more in your face than you would find on Patrick St. in Cork. Cork has some dodgy streets but none of them are main street thoroughfares really, but in Limerick I found that the main street had a high level of undesirables. I think it was brought to the forefront one time when it was raining and I was dashing for a bus and over a 80m stretch of footpath I was physically harassed for money 3 times. In Cork I have been harassed only twice in my entire life and both times it was down alleys. I don't know why it is but I found that scumbags in Limerick just felt like they had the run of the place and were never going to be opposed.
    I can't remember the name of the street which leads off O'Connell Street and up a hill and has numerous places to sit down on but I do know that after sitting their twice and being harassed that I would never sit there again. Its a real shame too as the street is nice. Its the one near Subway.
    Comparing Limerick to Dublin is a silly comparison. Crime levels in Limerick should be compared to Cork and Galway, cities with similar populations and demographics. In that comparison I imagine you will find that per capita Limerick has higher levels of petty crime all the way through to gang related murder.

On a side note, when I was growing up Cork was a much rougher place. It wasn't too long ago that every Saturday night for about 6/7 weeks there was someone beaten unconscious on Grand Parade by the fountain. One poor lad is still in intensive care because of it if I remember correctly. I don't know how things changed but whatever the gardai in Cork did to clear our streets to acceptable levels, I hope that the Gardai in Limerick do likewise
    i'm born and bred limerick, 28 years and have never ever been physically harrassed for money. just cos some guy walks up william street in a trackie doesnt mean he's a scumbag, and i very much doubt the dundons are going around with mcdonald cups asking for your spare change. get a sense of perspective would ya and start living in the real world. i lived in cork for 2 years, 2005-2007 and found it no different to limerick. actually i did, the amount of fights on the south mall on a saturday night would be nothing compared to limerick. i felt like i was in kabul sometimes. Did this change my mind or feelings towards cork? NO. simply cos i live in the real worls and this kind of ****e happens every weekend no matter where you are.
    i'm not denying there isnt some social problems here,course there is, but its time to start living in the real world sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Do Wan wrote: »
    i'm born and bred limerick, 28 years and have never ever been physically harrassed for money. just cos some guy walks up william street in a trackie doesnt mean he's a scumbag, and i very much doubt the dundons are going around with mcdonald cups asking for your spare change. get a sense of perspective would ya and start living in the real world. i lived in cork for 2 years, 2005-2007 and found it no different to limerick. actually i did, the amount of fights on the south mall on a saturday night would be nothing compared to limerick. i felt like i was in kabul sometimes. Did this change my mind or feelings towards cork? NO. simply cos i live in the real worls and this kind of ****e happens every weekend no matter where you are.
    i'm not denying there isnt some social problems here,course there is, but its time to start living in the real world sunshine.

Do you find it difficult to separate discussions from personal insults? Some day when you garner a sense of maturity you might learn how to enter in to debates or at least a civilized discussion. I assume you will develop maturity around the same time as you develop the modicum of intelligence necessary to demonstrate a knowledge of grammar.

I was only venting my personal experience of Limerick. I know that the Dundons would never lower themselves to street level begging and hence I wasn't discussing them in my post about O'Connell St's problems. I was just merely commenting that walking along that street in Limerick is more likely to result in a different experience than walking along any main street in Cork and Galway.

Oh and about living in the real world, please define what you mean by that? If you mean it is a world inhabited by troglodytes and idiots who can't construct a sentence or have any intelligence at all then I think you probably do live more in that world than me. If however you mean a world where you are exposed to many dangerous situations then I think I have a better sense of that world than you. On the grand scale of things Limerick is a much safer city than many I have been to, unfortunately in comparison to Cork and Galway it is not on the same level of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Cut back on the personal insults, folks.
    Lets keep this civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

Have lived in Limerick since last summer, moved over from the States in July with the mister and 3 kiddies..

Was super aprehensive with the 'ole Limerick reputation but bar one instance of being harrassed by some really outta hand tweens we have had absolutely no hassle here whatsoever. I find the kids here really do need something to do with their time as they seem to currently spend their time losing all respect for adults...but other than that...

I have even gotten to the point where I actually get upset when I say I live in Limerick and people start slaggin it immediately, or saying they are sorry for me. I find myself getting very defensive, like I have lived here my whole life or something..lol

I have lived all over the States and come from a massive city in Cali and seriously feel fine raising my kiddies here.. mind you I dont spend loads of time in town.. I keep to my lil burb mostly. Ya wont find me out in Supermacs on a Saturday :)

Just my 2c..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Stupid thread in all fairness! Its trolling of the highest order

How is it trolling? People questioning whether Limerick is a knacker place ?

S Africa is better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

spent 4 yrs in ul and always thought the place's image was all hype uintil a mate got bottled in the back at an atm....the place does seem to have gone downhill of late though with all the coverage

Do Wan wrote: »
    no wonder you got picked on, you sound like a prized prick

Why? Because his opinion differed from your one and he responded after you first tried to be insulting?

If you disagree with him, then argue your point. If you feel strongly about something, then defend your corner, but don't start with personal abuse that could get the thread closed for the rest of us.

I for one like to see the differing views of Limerick as there is normally some truth in all of them, and people can open other people's eyes with their points of view, for good or bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Do Wan: Infraction given. Next offense is a 2 week ban from the forum.

Advertisement