Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Printing a Dagerrotype... from file...

• 31-03-2009 3:46pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got a reasonable high res copy of a dagerrotype that i wish to print and blow up... given the res is 3441 x 2472, and the general low quality the dagerrotypes are... I'm thinking maybe 150 DPI, would get me an alright 30 x 20 print? Has anyone tried this, and any reccommendations on what printing route I should pursue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's more than possible if you have the chemicals availible to you. You're going to have to use contact printing, and high quality transfer paper. There's a book called The Digital Negative which explains this process, along with photoshop help on preparing your file for contact printing.

You are also limited by the size you can print your neg. Why don't you start small and progress from there. Or at least, start with more basic darkroom techniques, until you get it right, then move from there. It's not something you can just 'jump into'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fajitas! wrote: »
    It's more than possible if you have the chemicals availible to you. You're going to have to use contact printing, and high quality transfer paper. There's a book called The Digital Negative which explains this process, along with photoshop help on preparing your file for contact printing.

You are also limited by the size you can print your neg. Why don't you start small and progress from there. Or at least, start with more basic darkroom techniques, until you get it right, then move from there. It's not something you can just 'jump into'.

ìts a scan Al....

Ah, I thought you meant the other way around, as in, print a file through traditional methods.

In that case, yeah, you'll be grand.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

yeah... daguerrotype printing would be a wee bit much for me, found a nice copy of Boulevard du Temple by Daguerre, a nice milestone photo, will sit nicely beside my signed photo of Brody Dalle :rolleyes:

but back on topic, the low DPI wont really affect the image so in your humble opinion???:)

• Advertisement

Well, if you're willing to accept the quality of the daguerrotype isn't up to much, then, yeah, it'll be grand. It'll also depend on how far you are from the print. I mean, you're never going to get the quality availible on the original print, and the scanner will only begin to pick up the texture of the print itself, rather than the image if you go for a very high res scan.

Advertisement