Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC LAN setup?

Options
  • 31-03-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Bonjour folks, welcome to my first post!

My house is wired in CAT5 cable with points in various rooms all wired back to one location. I am getting UPC tv, internet and phone connection installed at the weekend and would like to know what I need to do/buy to make the internet connection available on the wired network?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

jimmy1000 wrote: »
    Bonjour folks, welcome to my first post!

My house is wired in CAT5 cable with points in various rooms all wired back to one location. I am getting UPC tv, internet and phone connection installed at the weekend and would like to know what I need to do/buy to make the internet connection available on the wired network?

If they give you a cable modem with only one ethernet port, you'll need to put a router into that port, and the rest of your connections into the router. Look for routers described as just being broadband routers, without an integrated ADSL modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

When you say it's all wired back to one point, is this a switch? If you've got all the cable connected directly together, then I don't think you'll be able to do a whole lot with it. Each Ethernet socket should be wired to a switch.

If there is a switch in place, then all you should need is to connect the UPC modem to one of the sockets, and then connect you PC to any of the others.

UPC allow you to connect 2 devices, as they assign you up to 2 IP addresses. If you're going to connect any more than this, then a router would be recommended. Even if you're not, a router is recommended anyway, as it will give a level of protection (firewall, NAT) that you won't have if connecting directly to the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jimmy1000

jor el wrote: »
    When you say it's all wired back to one point, is this a switch? If you've got all the cable connected directly together, then I don't think you'll be able to do a whole lot with it. Each Ethernet socket should be wired to a switch.

If there is a switch in place, then all you should need is to connect the UPC modem to one of the sockets, and then connect you PC to any of the others.

UPC allow you to connect 2 devices, as they assign you up to 2 IP addresses. If you're going to connect any more than this, then a router would be recommended. Even if you're not, a router is recommended anyway, as it will give a level of protection (firewall, NAT) that you won't have if connecting directly to the modem.

Well when I say point I actually mean location, the cables are currently hanging out the wall and don’t even have connectors on them – another project I’ll shortly be attempting myself!

Looks like I'll be purchasing a router then, would something like this be suitable?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=346664

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Well when I say point I actually mean location, the cables are currently hanging out the wall and don’t even have connectors on them – another project I’ll shortly be attempting myself!

Looks like I'll be purchasing a router then, would something like this be suitable?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=346664

Cheap and cheerfull I guess, but should work fine. You might want to also consider a router with Wifi now, rather than pay more to upgrade later.

Spear wrote: »
    Cheap and cheerfull I guess, but should work fine. You might want to also consider a router with Wifi now, rather than pay more to upgrade later.

Something like this?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=434517

Or have you any recommendations?

• Advertisement

Something like this?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=434517

Or have you any recommendations?

I'd still suggest the ever popular WRT54G.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=314078

Do a quick google to get an idea of their reputation and spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That, or this perhaps. The only downside of these wireless routers, is they usually only have a 4-port switch, meaning you can only connect 4 of your Ethernet cables to it. To add more, you'll need a separate switch, like this, or one with even more ports if you have more cables to connect.

Cheers guys, looks like it's the WRT54G for me.

Advertisement