Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to approach redesigning a website....

Options
  • 31-03-2009 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Thread probably done already, redirect if so.

Ok, so I've been tasked by the organisation I work for to come up with a new layout and structure for our website (more user friendly homepage, eye-catching graphics, video, etc.).

Now, I have no intention of designing the thing myself, and rather plan to come up with a broad concept of what I want, draw-up an A-Z sitemap, and then find a web designer to execute the thing.

My question - what are the specifics I need to provide a developer with, and, if there's any designers reading, what do you require of clients to provide you with before you go about building a site?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

From my own experience outsourcing projects, I would define absolutely everything you want. This is from the technology to be used to mockups of the layout to the colours, etc.

I find when you leave any details up to the developers imagination it can often result in disappointment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I know some people dislike the idea - but find two or three sites you'd like your own to emulate and provide them as examples. It will at least give the designer an idea of what he/she is to provide you with, whilst not constraining their creativity.

Oh, and tell them you don't want a full flash site. CSS with some flash content at most. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

AARRRGH wrote: »
    From my own experience outsourcing projects, I would define absolutely everything you want. This is from the technology to be used to mockups of the layout to the colours, etc.

In general, spec'ing as much as you can and then getting someone who knows their stuff to go through it and them point out / ask relevant questions in relation to any "gaps" would be the best approach.....basically not having them assume anything, while still allowing their expertise to ensure that the spec is complete and that the site will do everything that's required and maybe even more.

As for the technology to be used.....that shouldn't really be your call; it's up to someone who knows their stuff to achieve the RESULT you want, rather than tying their hands with something you don't know about......e.g. I've had LOADS of people ask for Flash sites when it obviously would screw up the sites updateability/SEO/etc......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Madou wrote: »
    Thread probably done already, redirect if so.

Ok, so I've been tasked by the organisation I work for to come up with a new layout and structure for our website (more user friendly homepage, eye-catching graphics, video, etc.).

Now, I have no intention of designing the thing myself, and rather plan to come up with a broad concept of what I want, draw-up an A-Z sitemap, and then find a web designer to execute the thing.

My question - what are the specifics I need to provide a developer with, and, if there's any designers reading, what do you require of clients to provide you with before you go about building a site?

Get some user feedback from your customers. That should point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Unless you are a developer/web designer I wouldn't go into detail. If you hire a reputable company they will be able to direct you and help you avoid the pitholes. That's whay you are paying them for!

There is another side to the coin. If the project is something that has never been done before, it would be a good idea to outline the scope of the project, maybe with some simple diagrams or a workflow process in excel even just to give direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Madou wrote: »

If I was approached by a company asking for a redesign I would absolute not want a pre-drawn site map. If you really want to leverage the talent of a web designer it's in more than just the visual side of things. I would find a good web designer with experience who can talk to you, discuss your problems and needs and can actually look at the structure of your site objectively and work with you on that side of things too.

Also, it's a bad idea to find a designer & developer who haven't worked together and ask them too. It's much better to find a small company or else an established freelancer who has connections to other professionals.

As odd as it may seem, the way for you to create the best website possible is to spend most of the time finding good people to hire for the job, and then acting as a facilitator to help them do their job as best they can.

Advertisement