Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RPGs for my new 360

• 31-03-2009 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

As a new 360 owner who loves RPGs, there sure are a lot of 360 exclusive JRPGs for me to choose from. I would ask for RPG recommendations in general but as I have a pretty good laptop I already have Mass Effect and Fallout 3.

I also have a hefty back catalogue of PS2 and PS3 games to finish, so I'm wondering if JRPGs like Blue Dragon and Lost Oddyssey are so amazing I should run out and buy them right now, or can I come back and play them later when I see them going cheap? Are The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery really that bad?

I bought my 360 for Fable II, as I got tired of waiting for a PC port. Are there any other awesome RPGs that I might not be aware of that I should keep my eye out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There is Oblivion but that's on the PC aswell. I thought Fable 2 was OK not that good. But I do love Mass Effect and Fallout 3.

Mass Effect 2 is in the works but not due till some time in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I have Oblivion on PC as well.

I heard that you can carry over your save from Mass Effect over to Mass Effect 2, so I hope my laptop can run Mass Effect 2 so that I get to keep my stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Dude, read my OP, I mentioned those games. I'm asking for opinions on whether they're any good or not. I've heard bad things about The Last Remnant for example so I doubt I'll get it. I saw Lost Odyssey for €20 in HMV and wanted to know if it's worth my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Star Ocean and Tales of Vesperia are coming in June if you can wait that long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lost Odyssey is very good but really takes a very long time to get going. The first disc is very slow and the story only really gets going byt the end of that disc. Then the battle system becomes a thing of beauty at the end of the second disc. It's worth playing but you need patience to slog it out since it takes a while to be rewarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I bought Blue Dragon last week pre-owned in Xtravision for €6.95. Haven't played it yet but can't really go wrong with that price!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Blue Dragon annoys me. The battle system is excellent but it's too easy. But the main complaint is that treasure is scattered everywhere. You spend most of your time searching the same odd looking objects in the enviroment insterad of enjoying the gameplay. It's an odd game, it should have been good but it has so many flaws that you'll either like it or absolutely hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Blue dragons decent if you have no other game to play :)..

I recommend lost odyssey too, I played from start to end in a few days and I enjoyed it a lot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No ones mentioned Eternal Sonata? FOR SHAME!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Lost Odyssey is good, but I lost interest during it, and I do plan to get back into it at some stage. Eternal Sonata is also pretty cheap now, and is decent enough. Unfortunately, my time is limited these days so I don't want to get into a big RPG so that's sitting on the shelf beside LO.

fitz0 wrote: »
    Star Ocean and Tales of Vesperia are coming in June if you can wait that long.
    Star Ocean 4 is the other game I got my 360 for :D I've never played any of the 'Tales of ...' games so maybe I should play one of the older ones first?
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Lost Odyssey is very good but really takes a very long time to get going. The first disc is very slow and the story only really gets going byt the end of that disc. Then the battle system becomes a thing of beauty at the end of the second disc. It's worth playing but you need patience to slog it out since it takes a while to be rewarding.
    So it's a bit like Suikoden V then, pace wise? If the battle system gets really good I guess Lost Odyssey is top of my list.
    jenno86 wrote: »
    I bought Blue Dragon last week pre-owned in Xtravision for €6.95. Haven't played it yet but can't really go wrong with that price!
    I saw Blue Dragon for €6.95 pre-owned in a few places, I'll play the demo first to see what I think but at that price you're right, you can't really go wrong.
    Kiith wrote: »
    No ones mentioned Eternal Sonata? FOR SHAME!!!
    Oh yeah, Eternal Sonata is on my list but I won't be getting it for a while. I'll be getting it for the PS3 anyways because of the extra content (Including 3 extra compositions by Chopin which is a selling point to me as he's one of my favourite composers). Good call though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

jenno86 wrote: »

Same as me. I was impressed to see it was on 3 disks so it must be big.
    I have that eternal sonata also but again never got around to playing it.

GothPunk wrote: »
    So it's a bit like Suikoden V then, pace wise? If the battle system gets really good I guess Lost Odyssey is top of my list.

No not really. Suikoden V is 4-5 hours of middle of the road seen it before RPG until the big plot development when it's instantly a roller coaster ride of fun. Lost Odyssey on the other hand starts of very slow with one of the worst and most confusing opening cities in an RPG but the story starts to get better little by little and gets very emotional, Jansen who seems to be a badly written and annoying character becomes loveable and funny and the battle system starts to reveal hidden depths when you start using enemies weaknesses and hot swapping equipment rings mid battle to combat them. The battle system ends up rivalling FFX by the end of the game and is very tough and strategic but at the start of the game it feels like a very limited FF battle system. It's very much a slow burner. I lost interest before the end of the first disc but went back to it and got hooked.

Thanks for that Retr0, I think I'll have to come back to Lost Odyssey during the summer when I have more time. I'm still making my way through some of the PS2 RPGs you and other people here on Boards recommended. That and Valkyria Chronicles, which has gotten even better now that I'm half way through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I also took advantage of the cheap blue dragon offer in xtra vision:D Only played a little bit so far but its not so bad.
    Eternal sonata was very solid, great battle system. Roll on vesperia! Absolutely loved tales of symphonia on the GC

Advertisement