Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse and Greyhound Racing Fund

Options
  • 31-03-2009 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

With the way things are, (just heard that building of the new cystic fibroses Unit by the HSE is been shelved). Same as the cancer jab for girls

Isn't it obscene that the government is still pumping millions into this fund, money that would be better spent saving peoples lives

I guess F.F. and the Greens are looking to where their votes are coming from as opposed to giving a f@#k about the people of Ireland

I really do think that at this stage the political system in this country is completely morally bankrupt

I wouldn't piss on a politician if they were on fire, more inclined to throw extra petrol on them:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

You seem to be starting with the axiom that the rulers of this country are capable of and intending to act in a way that benefits all the people of this society.

That you could still believe this at this point is fairly naive
    But I must tell you, to IMF officials, all of these crises looked depressingly similar. Each country, of course, needed a loan, but more than that, each needed to make big changes so that the loan could really work. Almost always, countries in crisis need to learn to live within their means after a period of excess—exports must be increased, and imports cut—and the goal is to do this without the most horrible of recessions. Naturally, the fund’s economists spend time figuring out the policies—budget, money supply, and the like—that make sense in this context. Yet the economic solution is seldom very hard to work out.

No, the real concern of the fund’s senior staff, and the biggest obstacle to recovery, is almost invariably the politics of countries in crisis.
    "We are concerned, however, that a credible multi-year fiscal consolidation strategy will not emerge until after the general elections, due by 2012," the agency said.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

BennyLava wrote: »
    With the way things are, (just heard that building of the new cystic fibroses Unit by the HSE is been shelved). Same as the cancer jab for girls

Isn't it obscene that the government is still pumping millions into this fund, money that would be better spent saving peoples lives

Even when we are not in a recession, people will always be dying of something or other that might be treated better with more money.

So therefore your argument is that no money at all should ever be invested into sports as there will always be a better cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Even when we are not in a recession, people will always be dying of something or other that might be treated better with more money.

So therefore your argument is that no money at all should ever be invested into sports as there will always be a better cause?

i don't see it that way. Of course money should be invested in recreation and entertainment industries (e.g. horse racing). Such monies should be invested when we can afford them (which is not right now).

It would be very hard (politically) for Government to pull the plug on subsidies for these industries overnight, but cuts should be made. Why should the GAA, FAI, IRFU be immune to this recession? If there are to be significant cuts in spending on health and education, there should also be measures to cut non-essential items like the subsidies to sports, entertainment industries.

The priority has to be peoples' lives and in this case, the prolonging and improvement of peoples' lives. The HSE's record on provision of services to Cystic Fibrosis patients is atrocious.

People won't die if Punchestown is cancelled for a year or 2. CF sufferers will die sooner if they don't get this dedicated unit, as promised

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

BennyLava wrote: »

I guess F.F. and the Greens are looking to where their votes are coming from as opposed to giving a f@#k about the people of Ireland

I really do think that at this stage the political system in this country is completely morally bankrupt

I wouldn't piss on a politician if they were on fire, more inclined to throw extra petrol on them:mad:

its simple

fund racing => Better Tracks => more people go => More money taken in in tax.

Advertisement