Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to drinking in Galway

Options
  • 31-03-2009 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Now don't get me wrong, I like a pint, a short and a jig as much as the next man but surely there is mroe to life than getting blathered every weekend. So please tell me what it's possible to do at night time in Galway city OUTSIDE of the pub environment and also please choose something that is not weather dependant.

I guess that people could see the cinema (but that's like staying in especially considering the size of my tv :)) and also going to a restaurant is a possibility (but again this is just boozing with food) so be creative with your suggestions and I shall consider them if they are worthy of me.

It seems we though lack decent parks/forests/lakes in this city and also there are a lack of quality museums/galleries.

Thankfully many decent festivals are on their way, the ocean race will be great and the arts festival is always brill, i'll also pop down to limerick for the riverfest on the may bank holiday weekend but I need URGENT NOW solutions, there are only so many times that I can go into the salt house and play connect four and operation, now I am so good at these games that others are intimated to play against me. I have tried evening classes in things like creative writing but my standard was too high, I have even tried learning to play the guitar but I fall down at the first step: tuning it :confused:, I need your advice

So basically I am quizzing you about what to do if you don't feel like guzzling back pints of an evening, I am not really a big tv fan and I need stimulation so please offer it to me IN AN INFORMED AND WISE fashion if at all possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Fiddling your thumbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

you do tend to post some terrible ****e and after ur rant about galway ladies telling people u play connect four in the salt house is to say the least just a bit stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

You got it right there, your standards are too high!

Us Irish girls wouldn't know anything about anything expect going drinking, sorry :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most gyms are open in the evening.

Or walk: the Prom, or Ballyloughane (spelling may be a bit off, you get the idea). Or other places that you like.

Live theatre (www.tht.ie)

Teach an evening class.

Try an instrument again, either a different one, or get a tutor to show you how to tune.

Sport: in summer, lots of teams have evening games.

Church - various evening events etc in places around town.

Voluntary work - sign up for one of the organisations looking for workers.

Coffee - Java's (when it re-opens again soon) isn't a pub!

Join a choir, most have practices in the evenings.

Hang out in the Social Space ... various things on in there.

Research and write a book on "things to do in Galway" !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Learn some Latvian so you can wooooo all the girls :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Jogging out the Prom,
    Long cycles towards Connemara direction,
    Hiking in Connemara,
    Karting,
    Fishing,
    Astro leagues,
    Art or various diy/mechanics classes,
    Watersports (swimming , Kayaking, jet ski , scuba diving, wind surfing etc),
    Aran Islands etc....
    Literature Festival next month.

I could go on ....

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kellsum

I guess that people could see the cinema (but that's like staying in especially considering the size of my tv :))

Why get a cinema size TV if your not into watching it!
    Get a smaller TV and you might enjoy the cinema again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

does anyone know how that social space malarkey works and would a man of my standing be welcomed there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Become a busker/beggar. Drunk people are easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check out the sticky Activities. Also all the stuff Mary wrote is good.

Or ask in here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'd suggest spending some time on becoming less of a patronising twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Get a GPS and find the Galway Geocaches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Watersports (swimming , Kayaking, jet ski , scuba diving, wind surfing etc),

Oh Please don't suggest that he inflicts himself upon us watertypes:eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Nathan251 wrote: »
    I have even tried learning to play the guitar but I fall down at the first step: tuning it :confused:

I actually missed this in the first post.

Have you not ever heard of an electronic tuner if your ear is not so inclined:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sleeping. It's free and you won't be annoying anyone. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

It seems we though lack decent parks/forests/lakes

Parks? For what exactly there's plenty of green areas around to do whatever you want.
    Forests? Well your unlikely to get one in a city but head out the road a bit and you'll find them.
    Lakes? Corrib not big enough for you then?
    Problems solved.I reckon now that the weather is that little bit warmer just take up bushin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

thanks for all the suggestions so far, you're a helpful mob and worth using, there may be a thread on this already but i think i may take up golf, buying the golf set isn't a problem but joining a club is possibly a problem, all i see when i search on the net is green fees, i want full membership of a golf club, not too expensive, not too far from galway and hopefully not full of pretentious types (as I want to take that mantle :D)....so anybody know a good one to join

on a related note, any of the ladies who were downhearted because they couldn't find a place that offers poledancing lessions may accompany me on my golfing trips, and in exchange for being my caddy i'll allow them to display their wares and do their thing on the flags at each hole, surely there's an offer that can't be refused

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Magnus wrote: »
    Check out the sticky Activities

Sticky activities, eh? Sounds kinky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Can you swim? Give surfing a try, great craic and Fanore beach is just over an hour away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Buy a season membership at Rusheen Bay Windsurfing School.

(I'm not a shill before anyone points the finger, just a very satisfied customer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's what they all say ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Come to Terryland Park! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

If you're not into the mainstream sports there are activities such as American Football, Softball, Lacrosse and even the new Inline Hockey team you could try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

THE SALT HOUSE?! you d be as well off staying in.playing connect 4 on a night out? really? Thats a bit pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Watch out for Bubba in the bunkers, he uses a ping eye berilium with zero lift . Not even those spikey Bugsy Malone shoes will stop you moving. Afterwards you could play tiddly winks with the connnect four

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    Come to Terryland Park! ;)

Only go every second friday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    THE SALT HOUSE?! you d be as well off staying in.playing connect 4 on a night out? really? Thats a bit pathetic

The Salt House is a fine pub, and Connect4 is a classic. I bet you hate Jenga too. There's just no helping some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭dougie ward

on a related note, any of the ladies who were downhearted because they couldn't find a place that offers poledancing lessions may accompany me on my golfing trips, and in exchange for being my caddy i'll allow them to display their wares and do their thing on the flags at each hole, surely there's an offer that can't be refused

so your a bored pimp? is she latvian? no irish girl would flash the beaver on a golf course unless drunk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Sarky wrote: »
    The Salt House is a fine pub, and Connect4 is a classic. I bet you hate Jenga too. There's just no helping some people.

Me,being the boorish cad that I am, prefers a more sporting class of hostelry hi-jinx.

• Advertisement
Advertisement