Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broken /faulty water pump

Options
  • 31-03-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭

Hi

we bought a new house about 2. 5 years ago. the house had a water pump installed as standard.

Last year the builder's plumber had to reset the water pump (along with others in the estate).

Over the last couple of days the pump has gotten very strained sounding (and extremely loud). The plumber came back and advised us to turn the pump off and call the people they got the pump from to come out and service the pump...which they will and charge us for call out & probably for a new pump

Now i understand things break down..but surely the pump shouldnt go after 2.5 years ....i would have thought that any part of the plumbing would last a lot longer than that.

Pump supplier said that they gave plumber a 2 year warranty from whenever they sold the pump (not from when it was fitted to the house)

does anybody know if I have any comeback against the builder/ pump supplier/plumber for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Basically, you don't. You don't have very many of your ordinary consumer rights in respect of a house purchase.

If the builder is still on-site, you might just be able to convince him to do something, but probably not.

You are probably going to end up having to replace the pump. If the pump is making such funny noises, I would probably ask the plumber for a quote to replace the pump.

I would ring the pump manufacturer and ask them whether they think it is worth servicing the pump, and find out what the service would cost.

It could well be that there is something blocking the pump, in which case, it's not the pump manufacturer's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

pumbler told me to get the pump supplier to do a service call...which will cost me 125eur.....from talking to an engineer over the phone they said that it "might be a ball bearing gone" . they are calling round today..so hopefully thats all it is

well..just had the guy round...told me that the pump is finished and needs to be replaced....at a cost of another 400 eur!

Not a happy bunny on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

What kind of pump is it ?

Not 100% sure of the brand...but i know who the supplier /installer were.

Should still last longer than 2.5 years...supplier told me the lifespan was 10-12 years....also now have my solicitor looking into this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

the reason a lot of pumps go early is because the strainers in them get blocked due to debris in pipes , and they run dry thus burning out . like a kettle with no water , going the solictor route is grand but the minute u mention it every body clams up and you will still at the end of the day have to have it changed anyway , is it a shower booster pump you have got ?

Wouldn't be mad on the solicitor route myself. You probably have few or no rights here as regards the builder. You definitely have no recourse to the installer, because you are strangers in law. If the pump blew up or contaminated the water or something, you'd have recourse to the manufacturer (and possibly the installer) but it's not that sort o f situation.

You should certainly consider any advice from your solicitor, but I would seriously consider paying up and getting on with life.

Ah running dry you say Traditional...funny you should mention that. Builder caused our water to be turned off by the council last year as there was a big pressure drop once water was flowing into the estate. Eventually the builder admitted he was at fault. He sent his plumber out to reset peoples water pumps afterwards (mine being one of them). Possibly this has had some knock on effect.

the pump is providing 3 bar pressure to whole house (every sink,tap, toilet & outlet -except main tap in kitchen)

Was asking my solicitor to see if this was covered under the homebond as it may count as an essential part of the plumbing (as shower will not work with out it). He suggested that it could be part of the contract to cover fixtures & fittings for 6 years. hes double checking. Havent told builder i was talking to solicitor yet.

Consumer agency told me that could be a case under 1980 supply of goods & services act as the pump isnt of merchantable quality as it has barely lasted a quarter of its expected lifespan (regardless of what the guarantee is). they suggested registered letter to builder (went this morning) advising of the problem and seeking redress. If builder fails to respond or fails to do anything then i need to have pump replaced myself and can then bring builder to small claims court (as i have satisfied criteria of being at a loss).

Supply of goods and services act? For a part of a house? I don't know about that. A house or apartment is not a good by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe you can argue that it's a good attached to the house, but it is certainly a stretch.

If your builder is still solvent and has agreed to cover your fixtures and fittings for six years you are all set. I would be surprised if he has really done this though.

Homebond is really about providing a guarantee to mortgagees (banks) not to the end user. They might strictly speaking be liable, but the amount is just too small for them to willingly get involved. You would need to go to the District Court to flush them out.

You should seek your own legal advice and you will need to go by it.

AFAIK Supply of Goods and services would apply as the builder was contracted to build a house of a certain quality.

Surprisingly enough builder wont ring me back about the issue!

• Advertisement

Maybe that's what you contracted with the builder, but it would be extremely surprising.

The problem is that the house isn't a good and it isn't a service. The pump itself is a good, but you bought it as part of a house.

I would be interested to hear a definitive opinion to the contrary though.

Advertisement