Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't pay the rent, can I break a fixed lease?

Options
  • 31-03-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I have recently been made redundant and can no longer pay my rent. I am renting a house with 3 others, another of whom has also had to change work place and who also needs to move. Can we leave the house and only suffer losing the deposit or are there other sanctions we should be aware of? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated as the landlord will not let us out of our lease.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

IMO if the rent is paid up to date than you will lose only deposit if you're not giving him any notice. If you owe some previous rents him than runaway and forgot about deposit. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you renting a room from the landlord or did you all rent the house? Who signed the lease? If your name isn't on the lease then you could technically just move out and leave the leaseholder high and dry but it is more usual that you try to find someone to take over your room - if the lease allows this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 rudi1978

Thank you. Looks like I am stuck as I have signed the lease and the only way out really is to try to find someone to take over the rent. The landlord may be kind enough to end the lease early!! I doubt it. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to the landlord, explain the situation.

you may be entitled to assistance with your rent under the Supplementary Welfare Allowance scheme - talk to your local community welfare officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 laudiedell

rudi1978 wrote: »
    I have recently been made redundant and can no longer pay my rent. I am renting a house with 3 others, another of whom has also had to change work place and who also needs to move. Can we leave the house and only suffer losing the deposit or are there other sanctions we should be aware of? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated as the landlord will not let us out of our lease.

Okey dokey be very careful with this one! Im going thru an awful time with this same situation.

In my last house we left a couple of months early and the landlord was so nice and just gave us our money back.

this time around we are dealing with a letting agent (who incidentally is the devil....) and they agreed to give us back our deposit on the grounds that we find new tenants. we did this, and pretty much eveything they asked to date. they have lied to us about 'signing over fees' and now that we are out of the place and the new tenant is in they are deducting money from the rent which they never mentioned to us before. its all very dodgy.

my advice is to be on the ball, ask lots of questions, appear to know yer stuff, know yer stuff, seek advice from threshold or the private residencies tenancy board and know yer lease inside out!

good luck!

(you can also apply for rent relief from revenue.ie which may help you financially - its just tax back on your rent paid!)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

rudi1978 wrote: »

I think you will just loose your deposit. But to be fair you made a commitment so you should appreciate that.

Advertisement