Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of retail - Meeting

Options
  • 31-03-2009 4:49pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Meeting tonight at 7pm in the Longford Arms Hotel to discuss the future of Longfords Trade.

Rumours around the retail sectors is that Tesco may be pulling out of the town, which will be discussed at the meeting tonight. As a retail worker, I received a bit of information regarding this, and unfortunately I will not be able to attend because I am working, but I urge anyone concerned to attend.

The meeting was organised in advance of the council meeting on April 8th.

Anyone who does, please fill in on the conversations had, because I for one want to hear every bit of information that may/may not happen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 barndancer

No need to woory about retail spend in Longford. According to report in Irish Independent last year Longford will be a powerhouse for retailing by 2018 overtaking Athlone! See the link :rolleyes: http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/the-retail- winners-and-losers-in-2018-1413388.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

that was nearly a year ago when that article was done. things have changed since :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Economic

Even taken into account the fact the article was done a year ago is all hope gone for Longford's chances as a retail area.

Is it true the County Council are moving into the new shopping centre? If so does that rule out it ever been used as a shopping centre?

Has the new shopping centre any potential as a hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Haven't heard anything about the new shopping centre...
    As for the old shopping centre... it will be devastating for the town centre if Tesco goes.
    La Mirage and Catwalk will be shutting up shop in the near future so that's two empty units already. But if Tesco goes u can kiss goodbye to practically everything in that part of town. You're looking at something similar to the Mall centre in Mullingar.

The boys and girls in the Town Council will soon realise that they have killed the goose that laid the golden egg. After battling for several years to get paid parking in the Tesco car park, they finally scored "victory". I remember it used to be impossible to get a space there and the centre would be packed to the rafters at the weekend. Now Tesco is half empty on a Saturday afternoon while the free Dunnes carpark on the edge of town is full to overflowing.

In these recessionary times €1 an hour for parking is too much. Personally I refuse to pay it on principle, I will park on-street for free and walk over rain hail or shine. But a lot of people couldn't be bothered with that and will just avoid the place.
    Fair enough Tesco will pay your parking if you spend €15, but a lot of people would go into the shopping centre for a browse around and a cup of coffee, drop into Tesco for a few unplanned things. That business has now been lost. Plus, paying people for parking is bound to be hitting Tesco's profit margin.

Longford Town Council are actively pursuing policies to kill off town centre shopping. The proposed pedestrianisation of Grafton Court will be another death knell.

What vested interests are involved here I wonder? Who exactly owns the land which might be chosen by retailers for their new outlets? Who would stand to gain? I don't know, but I wish I did.

Advertisement