Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican Restaurant

• 31-03-2009 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there are many decent Mexican restaurants in Galway City. I've only stumbled across one called Cactus Jacks but haven't eaten in it yet. Is it any good and is it the only one?

Love Mexican food..

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try La Salsa. One on Mainguard street and another on Mary street. Yum.
    I hear good things about Cactus Jacks but haven't been there for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

cactus jacks is overpriced and hugely disappointing. The main courses are ok, but the rice is flavourless and the salad was about as old as I was.

Of course, I'm a big pansy and didn't complain at the time. sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

La Salsa FTW. Bit expensive for what you get but so so good:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Xiney wrote: »
    cactus jacks is overpriced and hugely disappointing.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Beetlebum wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there are many decent Mexican restaurants in Galway City. I've only stumbled across one called Cactus Jacks but haven't eaten in it yet. Is it any good and is it the only one?

Love Mexican food..

Thanks.

Its a ripoff-big prices for little portions of sub-average food.Cheaper flying to Mexico.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If you're used to 'proper' Mexican food, or even proper 'American Mexican' food then there is NO where to go.

If you don't have a comparison, then maybe La Salsa.
    Frankly I think it's overpriced and bland, grumpy (bar one nice one!) staff too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The general consensis is that Cactus Jacks is the worst resturant in Galway ..horrible food, overpriced , full of hen/stag crowds and very poor service..La Salsa is a fast food joint not a resturant...it's average enough but light years ahead of Cactus Jacks. IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The general consensis is that Cactus Jacks is the worst resturant in Galway ..horrible food, overpriced , full of hen/stag crowds and very poor service..La Salsa is a fast food joint not a resturant...it's average enough but light years ahead of Cactus Jacks. IMO

And that is a FACT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Its a ripoff-big prices for little portions of sub-average food.Cheaper flying to Mexico.

getting a plane there on friday afternoon for dinner saturday night. whos in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

getting a plane there on friday afternoon for dinner saturday night. whos in?

Ya, can't beleive Aer Arann are doing direct flights there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

It depends on what you get in La Salsa, which branch, member of staff...

If you really want a Mexican restaurant, try Acapulco next time you're in Dublin. Good margaritas.
    http://www.menupages.ie/restaurants/acapulco_restaurant.aspx

lovertits wrote: »
    It depends on what you get in La Salsa, which branch, member of staff...

If you really want a Mexican restaurant, try Acapulco next time you're in Dublin. Good margaritas.
    http://www.menupages.ie/restaurants/acapulco_restaurant.aspx

is it worth the aer arann flight to this restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

I wouldn't go up to Dublin especially for any restaurant - only for a gig/movie/shopping (nice grub being a bonus)!

I got way too used to having decent and reasonably priced Mexican food close to where I lived in Britain. http://www.chiquito.co.uk/Index.aspx Oh the happy hour cocktails and the quesadillas...

I think something like that would go down a treat in Ireland.

what are you waiting for then? get the ovens heated!! ill bring the sombrero:D

Advertisement