Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College application?

• 31-03-2009 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I am considering applying to Oxford for college. I understand that Irish universities provide minimum amounts of points for courses.. But does anyone know what the minimum to apply for say Economics and Management at Oxford would be? I know that for students in the UK studying A-Levels the minimum requirement is 3 A's at A level with certain specifications for certain courses... Would this translate to LC i.e. 6 A's (honours obviously) i.e. 600 points? Or is there a certain amount of leeway? Any help or insight appreciated biggrin.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

honestly id imagine thats 600 but i wouldnt be that sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

qwerty4 wrote: »
    I am considering applying to Oxford for college. I understand that Irish universities provide minimum amounts of points for courses.. But does anyone know what the minimum to apply for say Economics and Management at Oxford would be? I know that for students in the UK studying A-Levels the minimum requirement is 3 A's at A level with certain specifications for certain courses... Would this translate to LC i.e. 6 A's (honours obviously) i.e. 600 points? Or is there a certain amount of leeway? Any help or insight appreciated biggrin.gif

There is a huge amount of leeway in UCAS. Your personal statement + interviews will play just as much a role in your application as your leaving certificate points. For most of the courses in Cambridge/Oxford, they expect you to have delved into study beyond the scope of the leaving cert/A level courses. Show you are truly interested in the course by citing any voluntary work you may have done in the area.

Also, they will check your junior cert grades and predicted grades before inviting you to interview so, it would be helpful to your application if you have a strong J.C and decent predicted grades.

The interviews can be quite grueling but with some preparation you can stand to do very well!

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

This thread is over 3 years old and was resurrected by another poster for the purposes of advertising their services.

However that's excellent advice NeuroCat and I'm sure it will be more than helpful to other potential applicants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

pow wow wrote: »
    This thread is over 3 years old and was resurrected by another poster for the purposes of advertising their services.

However that's excellent advice NeuroCat and I'm sure it will be more than helpful to other potential applicants.

Ooops so sorry, I didn't notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

No worries, neither did I!

• Advertisement
Advertisement