Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library opening times this Easter

Options
  • 31-03-2009 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Anyone know? Unusual time, shorter hours, not open at all?,Keep forgetting to ask every time I'm in there. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Following an agreement with library staff, and in response to requests from the Students' Union, the Library will be operating longer opening hours this Easter. Specific detail on each site can be found on the Library website:

http://www.dit.ie/library/hours/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

Thanks that answered the question. I'm glad to hear its open, I have a fair bit of work that needs doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Early opening at 9am starts April 20th... pfft, UCD Library opens at 830 every weekday morning and late opening means closing at midnight! This is one of the problems with DIT, the Aungier St library anyway is too small, way too noisy... there's people having conversations at full volume and no one to do anything about it...

Sorry to go on a rant :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I dont suppose any computer labs are open tomorrow. Im a bit late with a submission.

EDIT: Kevin street that is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

All the DIT libraries I've been in are a total joke, tbh. Even AST - DCU library or UCD are so much better.

Grangegorman will now be used as an excuse not to build better facilities until it finally starts operating sometime in 2027.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shamama

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Grangegorman will now be used as an excuse not to build better facilities until it finally starts operating sometime in 2027.

That's right, they're using it as a reason to let Kevin St fall into complete disrepair. It's an embarassment to potential students and sets a bad example for DIT. 2027 is when they may get around to sorting out the employee coffee room.

Sorry, feeling in a 'rant' mood today :)

Ok, the major rant...

The generous opening hours in Kevin St during Easter are insulting...Fri and Sat are NOT official working holidays and isn't that when students need the library, when THEY are on break? Isn't it the job of the 3rd level institutions to teach and facilitate STUDENTS?

It doesn't take many people to open up the place; someone to sit vacantly behind the desk and an operations guy to open the main doors and keep studious rebels in check.

Also, the opening at 9:30 when the college opens at 8 is ridiculous and Sat hours are joke.

Other than the student union, does anyone know to whom a formal complaint can be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Yeah, i'm not too happy with the library opening times either. I can accept not opening today through till monday but not opening the labs yesterday and closing the whole college at 1pm and then not reopening till the following wedensday? there's no reason they shouldn't reopen on tuesday.
    Also, i really cannot understand why they're closing the comp labs in kevin st. at 4pm each day. the library stays open till around 9:30pm and the porters have to stick around. It's a pretty big inconvienience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

As far am I'm aware, the Aungier street library has been outsourced since September and as such is not run by DIT itself as in the past.

I agree though that the opening hours for the library are below what is required and the closing of DIT colleges yesterday at 1pm, in addition to labs being closed early on wednesday and the whole college not re-opening till wednesday..... beyond a joke.

But such is DIT!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Im in Kevin Street now, and its Tuesday...

• Advertisement

bohsfan wrote: »
    Im in Kevin Street now, and its Tuesday...

I'm curious, were you actually IN the library and if so, are you an apprentice? I turned up at 9:30 sharp and was accosted by the security guy who said "The college is CLOSED and library is only open to apprentices, no questions, no exceptions". When I pointed out it said OPEN on the website, he got aggressive and said it doesn't matter.

I have exams soon and wasted 3 hours of study time on travel...I swear, it people actually got IN I'm gonna hurt someone real bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Has anyone tried their local library... sometimes they have study rooms and might cut down the commute time, that is if you don't need any books in the DIT library. I'm considering it as I usually study at home but find the procrastination fairy hangs around too much here!

Advertisement