Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA ban on international transfers of minors

• 31-03-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=64/newsid=808138.html
    Resolution ratified
    All four groups present at the meeting (associations, clubs, leagues and players) agreed on the principle that there should be no international transfers of minors – players aged under 18 – either into Europe or within Europe. A resolution for the protection of young players and encouragement of youth development was ratified by all four representatives' groups. Click here for the resolution.

Can see this having a positive affect on the LOI especially if the FAI and clubs take some initiative and invest money into youth development, if this happens it should have a positive impact on Irish football overall as itll mean less kids going over to England too young and coming back failures.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Will be the same old questions regarding Eu working laws and whether or not it will be legal to confine workers because of their profession,

It would be good for the Irish League, maybe not the National team as English Clubs have far superior youth setups,

I know you have to draw the line somewhere though, as it is the majority maybe don't make it that make the trip abroad.

I think its just another idea, although ratified by whoever attended, it won't make it much further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Won't make too much of a difference. Players under the age of 17 are not contracted in europe, and thus any move for the player is not strictly a transfer - its just a kid moving country. Unless they plan on trying to stop uncontracted minors moving anywhere which i'm not sure they could legally do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Wenger and Benitez won't be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Definitely good news anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Won't make too much of a difference. Players under the age of 17 are not contracted in europe, and thus any move for the player is not strictly a transfer - its just a kid moving country. Unless they plan on trying to stop uncontracted minors moving anywhere which i'm not sure they could legally do.

What this man said.

This will have very little effect on what currently happens, if a player has yet to sign professional terms at a club he can move anywhere he wants, which is why the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal have been able to secure the signatures of talented youngsters on the books at continental clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What this man said.

This will have very little effect on what currently happens, if a player has yet to sign professional terms at a club he can move anywhere he wants, which is why the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal have been able to secure the signatures of talented youngsters on the books at continental clubs.

In laymans terms :D

Man City - Hey I see you have a pretty decent feller on you u-14's
    Crumlin - Yeah, shame he cant go over to you until he is 18
    Man City - Thats true, but hey, here's 50k for you and a few quid for his folks.
    Crumlin - Oh Him, he left crumlin utd and is currently unattached
    Man City - Fair nuf, might have him over then.
    Crumlin - grand job.*

*stolen from another forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

at most i reckon you will simply see an lawful lot of pre-contracts being signed, like you see with kids from SA - Fabio and Raf two examples from United, Pato going to Milan etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Yea, did I hear something about the whole family having to settle in the new country aswell though? Like with Bojans dad getting a job in the Nou Camp as part of his deal?

What was the story with Fabregas? Arsenal could offer him a contract but Barca couldnt?

bohsman wrote: »
    What was the story with Fabregas? Arsenal could offer him a contract but Barca couldnt?

I linked to a story a while ago about this, I'll dig it out, but basically that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think that in spain they have to be 17 before they can get a professional contract and 16 in England coincedentally its 15 in scotland and SAF said thats the only reason why McGeady was picked up by Man u

• Advertisement

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4039977.ece
    English clubs’ pillaging of overseas youth systems causes the greatest resentment abroad. The French are furious about Manchester United courting two of their best under16s, Darnel Situ and Jeremy Helen, of Lens and Rennes respectively. Helen’s mother said: “Jeremy is a stable boy and I cannot see any difference between living in Rennes or Manchester if you have a good entourage. My son and I have talked with Alex Ferguson. Inter Milan, Newcastle, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Everton also contacted him. Money will not make his choice. To him, Manchester United offers the best career path.”

In Holland, there is anger about two starlets, Jeffrey Bruna and Jordy Brouwer, going to Chelsea and Liverpool. Ten players starting for Chelsea in the FA Youth Cup final second leg were signed from elsewhere, for a total of around £6m. Liverpool have just won the national Reserve League using a squad almost exclusively staffed by foreign under-21s. Their coach, Gary Ablett, noted that when he was a youth player at Anfield his peers were such as Paul Jewell and Jim Magilton, but added: “Football has changed a lot since then and the world has become a much smaller place. In the past, Liverpool would have looked to bring in youth players with potential from clubs down the English league, but these days the market is such that if we go in for a player from a lower division club, that club asks for ridiculous money. That’s why we’ve looked to recruit more from the continent . . . and that’s the direction we’ll continue to head in.”

Barcelona have just paid Manchester United £6m for Gerard Pique, a player from their own youth system pinched by United when he was 17. They lost Fabregas similarly and two more players they developed, Liverpool’s Daniel Pacheco and Arsenal’s Fran Merida, could make Premier League debuts next season.

In the case of Merida, a Fabregas clone loaned to Real Sociedad last season, the player (and effectively Arsenal) was forced to pay £2m after Barcelona won a compensation wrangle.

La Liga clubs lose teenagers to England because Spain does not allow players to sign professional contracts until they are 18. “The law is a little behind. You hear of stories about a kid who is too young to have a labour contract so a job is offered to his father [by a foreign club],” said Soriano. “We need laws to protect against that because it’s not good for the individual, and it’s a disincentive for clubs to invest in youth. Among the big clubs in Europe we’re becoming more respectful of each other, but some clubs don’t follow the rules. And sometimes this industry behaves like it’s the beginning of the 20th century when we’re in the 21st century.”

I think that in spain they have to be 17 before they can get a professional contract and 16 in England coincedentally its 15 in scotland and SAF said thats the only reason why McGeady was picked up by Man u

So with these new UEFA regulations no Irish u-18s would be able to sign pro in England meaning a lot of them would be more likely to stay at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

So with these new UEFA regulations no Irish u-18s would be able to sign pro in England meaning a lot of them would be more likely to stay at home?
    provided they are already contracted to an Irish club and don't just 'move'
    to england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Yep, the way it should be.

Protection of young players and
    encouragement of youth development
    Resolution of the Professional Football Strategy Council
    With regard to the protection of young players and encouragement of youth development, the Professional Football Strategy Council agrees that no international transfers (or first registration of non-nationals) of players under 18 into Europe or within Europe should be permitted.
    This means in particular that the third exception foreseen today in Article 19, paragraph 2 b), of the FIFA Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players, and which relates only to the EU/EEA, should be reviewed in order to guarantee that the same system regarding transfer bans of under-18 year old players applies both within and outside Europe and that this system is strictly monitored.

Theyre certainly talking the talk anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

DSB wrote: »
    Yep, the way it should be.

To play schoolboy football then hit 18 and stop?

90% of LOI players have been to england gotten top class coaching from about 15 onwards then either did or didnt make it over there.

LOI cant offer any level of decent youth-coaching so Ireland loses out longterm internationally and at LOI club level.

Our best players are all returnees, i no problem with that as long as they getting paid to be professional footballers at some level.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    To play schoolboy football then hit 18 and stop?

90% of LOI players have been to england gotten top class coaching from about 15 onwards then either did or didnt make it over there.

LOI cant offer any level of decent youth-coaching so Ireland loses out longterm internationally and at LOI club level.

Our best players are all returnees, i no problem with that as long as they getting paid to be professional footballers at some level.

Why should we have to settle for having to send our average, good and best players to England? The FAI and the clubs should be creating top class youth academies here - Bohs went in the right direction last year in the link up with DCU for facilities and scholarships, theres no reason why Ireland shouldnt be able to get top class youth setups and pay top people to run them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't see it making much of a difference, clubs may not hoover up as many players as before but they'll still find ways around the rules for the ones most worth it.

I'd say it'll benefit the clubs of the smaller leagues as they'll get to hold on to their players for longer. It'll harm the players though as they won't get the best coaching... which is good for the bigger, richer nations' national teams whose players will.

Specifically in an Irish context, do schoolboy players "transfer" to LOI clubs or do they simply sign professional contracts?

If it's the latter, what's to stop English sides securing their signature before they move to a LOI club and have to be the subject of an official transfer?

Specifically in an Irish context, do schoolboy players "transfer" to LOI clubs or do they simply sign professional contracts?

If it's the latter, what's to stop English sides securing their signature before they move to a LOI club and have to be the subject of an official transfer?

the Professional Football Strategy Council agrees that no international transfers (or first registration of non-nationals) of players under 18 into Europe or within Europe should be permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What is required is an EU wide standard for when a youth can sign professional terms. Currently, some countries have 18, others 16 or less, which leads to clubs taking advantage of the rules in another country to harvest its underage talent. I say standardise at 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Wenger probably cried when he heard about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

If it means hundreds of irish players don't go over to england on trials when they're 15-16 then it's a good thing. You're better off staying in ireland, if you're good enough play with a LOI team, and finish your leaving cert at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Why should we have to settle for having to send our average, good and best players to England? The FAI and the clubs should be creating top class youth academies here - Bohs went in the right direction last year in the link up with DCU for facilities and scholarships, theres no reason why Ireland shouldnt be able to get top class youth setups and pay top people to run them.
    I dont know of any LOI clubs who have their own Top Class training facilities for their first team ? Maybe they do . But how can they provide top class facilites for Youths if not for the first team?

All this will do is get the EPL clubs etc to form partnerships (as some already have) with irish schoolboy clubs and allow them to get who they want that way

As you see in the post you quoted Bohs have full use of DCUs world class sport facilities for the senior team and all underage teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The FAI and the clubs should be creating top class youth academies here - .

Didn't realise the fai and clubs were in a position to finance top youth academies on a par with English clubs.

Keep forgetting we have to copy England to a tee in everything we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Keep forgetting we have to copy England to a tee in everything we do.

Never said you should, you happened to point out that you should't lose talent to English clubs, my question/point still stands,are the FAI, clubs in a position to finance "top class youth acadamies"

• Advertisement

They should certainly be making it a priority and looking for funding.

As you see in the post you quoted Bohs have full use of DCUs world class sport facilities for the senior team and all underage teams.

That's the point Im making and AFAIK Bohs only in recent years started using DCU, but while great its not their own. Far too many LOI clubs are relying on schoolboy/Junior clubs and colleges to let them use their facilities yet they wonder why so many kids go abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

micks wrote: »
    That's the point Im making and AFAIK Bohs only in recent years started using DCU, but while great its not their own. Far too many LOI clubs are relying on schoolboy/Junior clubs and colleges to let them use their facilities yet they wonder why so many kids go abroad

I don't think they do

micks wrote: »

I dont see any problem in having a link up instead of actually owning facilities.

Advertisement