Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for Dev tool to use

Options
  • 31-03-2009 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Evening All,
    Could you offer some suggestions on what dev' tool I could use to build GUIs that will read/write/commit to a Postgres DB?

The data sets contain the usual type of things Name, Address etc etc.

I've got experience with SQL and VBA. I'd prefer to use a freeware/shareware offering as the project budget is almost Zero. I have enough to buy a jar of Nescafe and jaffa cakes!!!!

In the short term I'd be happy to get some simple but user friendly screens up and working. I can revisit the bells and whistle elements when the initial user screens are completed.

Your suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Sounds like VB.net might be up your alley. Have a look at Visual Studio Express Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

What are you looking for? If you mean an admin UI, how about http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/

Or are you more looking for a CMS, or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Seeing as you mentioned VBA I take it this is on windows? You could move to .Net and use one of the free express editions of visual studio: http://www.microsoft.com/Express/

There is the .Net implementation of VB but I'd recommend C#.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭AccessQuery

Morning All,
    Thanks very much for your posts. I'll have a look at your suggested options.

Cheers.

Advertisement