Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misleadingadvertising

Options
  • 31-03-2009 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

This probably should be under consumer issues... but I want this to be read! I have just been to Super Value and saw a special offer just inside the door; legs of lamb at half price... there was a sign up with €13.65 on it that had been crossed out (meaning that this was the old price) and a new price of €6.75, as an example of how the individual packages of lamb had been reduced.
    I then picked one out with a price of €11.35 marked on it.. of course thinking that the price at checkout was going to be €5.75 or so.. which is deal of the century I thought... only to find when I went to pay for it, that the price on the lamb included the reduction (note that these were'nt enormous legs that you can get)... at that stage there was a line-up behind me, plus I like lamb, plus €11 odd is still a very good price, but I thought it was a little bit slimmey of Super Value all the same

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved to Consumer Issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

€5.75 for a leg of lamb ? Now that would've have been deal of the century !

In fairness the price you were asked to pay was €11.35, which at a 50% discount meant the original price was €22.70 which I could well believe is around the ball park figure for a leg of lamb these days. (Nice meat but v.pricey, even lamb imported all the way from New Zealand can end up cheaper than Irish lamb produced locally )

Anyway their sign stating that a Leg was €13.65 reduced to €6.75 was only really showing the possibilities of their offer as all legs come in at different weights. They just found the smallest leg available and used that as the example. As it is a % off the price and not a set €€€ amount off then you can't really say you got done. Sharp marketing on their behalf for sure but you still got 50% off a leg of lamb so you cant really complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Consumer issues is hardly a ghost town tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The prices you quoted are per KG. See it on this page

€13.29/kg €6.65/kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Tesco do the same, like the beef they had the other week. But in fairness to them even though it was small it was hard to miss "price shown inclusive of reduction" on the shelf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Usually it says 'Price shown includes reduction' or something along those lines.

Plus I think that the half-price lamb offer is only available from the butcher counter.

Advertisement