Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good value for film.

• 31-03-2009 6:10pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There's a lot of questions re film wheres, hows and prices.

Unicare Pharmacy are selling 5 rolls of Fuji is200 for a fiver. If you only buy one roll it will also cost you a fiver. Unicare are nationwide and this long running promotion is supposed to be upheld in them all.

Developing to CD. Foley's Pharmacy on Meath St. D.8 will process 5 rolls of 36 exp. onto one CD for 8 quid (8 quid for 180 exp.negs and disc).

So for 13 euro it's possible to buy, shoot, develop and CD it. Excellent price.

The film is grand. It does exactly as it says on the tin. The quality of image on the CD is ok.(It does perfectly for viewing and selecting which (if any) negs you want to bring to a higher quality developer for higher quality imaging to CD or indeed print).

I've selected the absolute bargain basement of buying and developing colour film. If anyone can do better please post it up.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for good prices on higher quality development in colour or printing from negs?
    Does anyone have good knowledgable (prices and results) recommendation for B+W in film, development and printing?
    What bargains are out there and where for film at the present ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Before you invest in any film, ask if they have expired stock.

If it's a busy store, like those around Dublin, chances are, the expired stock is only a few months out at the very most - And can be had for a fraction of the price, with very little degradation in quality.

Don't be afraid to ask what's on the cheap either.

Ultimately, the best value lies in a few people chipping together, to order a larger amount of film online, so not only are you getting better value for money, but you're sharing the shipping charges. The only problem with this is getting a group of people to buy the same film :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

humberklog wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good recommendation for good prices on higher quality development in colour or printing from negs?
    Does anyone have good knowledgable (prices and results) recommendation for B+W in film, development and printing?
    What bargains are out there and where for film at the present ?

I think we discussed this in another thread a couple of days ago. Online, 7dayshop is the way to go, particularly if you take advantage of their usually quite frequent special offers on bulk out dated or short dated film. I got 20 rolls of reala last year there for about a euro apiece, at the moment I have 5 rolls of 120 neopan in my fridge which cost me about 2 euros a roll, shortdated to june or july or something. Their normal prices are quite reasonable aswell.

Development wise I do all my own, C-41 and B&W. C-41 I have down to about 1.50 a roll, B&W about the same or less depending what I use to develop it. Then I scan, 35mm on my coolscan which offers quality far in excess of anything you're going to get out of a minilab, and 120 on a canon 8600, which is good enough for medium prints and certainly good enough for online.

So on average I reckon I pay about a fiver to buy, shoot, develop and scan B&W and C-41. Slide is a lot more expensive, development is 8.50 or 6.50 depending on where I get them done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

oh i see theres a thread bout that film already....

ok em anyone know whats the deal with the film... have a box of it at home - they were giving the stuff away last year... expired... barely... wanna cross pro.... but wanna see how it might look first, and cant find the films type.

also who still does xpro about and is it extra?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think we discussed this in another thread a couple of days ago.

Indeed Daire it has. It has come up in a few threads recently. The prices and quality going on out there vary hugely and that can even be from shops not 50m apart.
    So I thought it could be helpful to condense all good bargains into one thread. If a certain shop/ on line place is running a certain deal at the present then pop it up. If you see a good camera going cheap then pop it up. If a shop is open to haggling then pop it up.
    I don't shop on-line myself and prefer putting in footwork for a deal so my eye is drawn to shops.
    It would be good to keep the thread lean and clean. Good offers alerted in a timely and clear fashion.

Photoshop on Dalkey High St. has a big bargain bin of mixed fuji 35mm film. Iso200/400 36exp. for 2 quid a pop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

City Pharmacy, Dame Street(fuji lab): Develop + CD with Dublin Camera Club Members Discount: €4.99

I assume it would be around 20% more without DCC discount. still cheaper than most.

great thread!

when we find the cheapest place, then it is time to phone the 'other' places and ask them over phone their prices and inform them .. ''no thanks, I can get it done for €X.xx at SuchaLab.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

anyone know where ya can get xpro done in town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Picked up 6 rolls of HP5 today from Gunn's for 21 Euro, not too shabby at all.

Oh, that's medium format fwiw.

Bump up the cam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Doctor Tunes

anyone know where ya can get xpro done in town?
    The Fuji lab on Abbey street. Beside Wynns Hotel just off O'Connell Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

humberklog wrote:
    Developing to CD. Foley's Pharmacy on Meath St. D.8 will process 5 rolls of 36 exp. onto one CD for 8 quid (8 quid for 180 exp.negs and disc).

I got two rolls done in the camera shop up top of Grafton for €19 :o
    And my camera's shutter was screwed up, so I only got ~25 exposures out of those 72 :"(

The quality of the digitised copies is excellent though, hmm..
    Could you provide a 100% scale example of your own scans from there?

PS- Unicare also have a get 1 roll developed, get 2 rolls free offer, at least the one on Rathgar Rd does. Unfortunately developing takes 2-3 days there, as they have to send 'em off.

Baza Unicare are giving it awat free by the 100 box carton at the moment.

I did top of Grafton the other day too...yeah 19quid for two rolls. Quality? Excellent. I was also waiting for Neopan to come back for over a week (16quid for negs and cd of 36exp.!!)

Foley's have made a few cock ups with mine (nothing much that couldn't be got over or sorted out in the shop. They charge 8 euro if you're only getting one roll done. They do it by flat rate of cd...so 200 exp? 8 euro. 72 exp.? 8 euro.
    I don't know how they look blown up as what I do is: Have them do 5, look through the cd and sort out what I want to re-do. When I've about 40 'keepers' I then pop the negs to Gunns (or other) to have them done to a higher quality. I don't really do that for the photos I post here as I see them as fun and don't mind them being thrown about. But for other work (private shoots, project work etc.) then that's what I do. It's keeping costs well down. I'm essentially using them as the beginning of the editing process and it really is a cheap starting point.

Baza as these photos are coming from disc onto lap top then directly to picasa and then onto flickr I can only open them to 800x536. But here's some
    3427762374_375c0f1122_o.jpg

Oh found that hasn't been reduced

3417523743_f69b70be44_o.jpg

Hmm, I guess that if you're getting negatives it doesn't really matter.. 8 euro for 5 sets of negatives is a steal enough, without the disk. Besides, I'm hardly a serious photographer, so it doesn't matter a whole lot anyway. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I got 2 roll of 120 slide dev only last week for 6.50E a roll from the fuji place on abbey street. When I rang them initially for a price they quoted my 6.50E a roll also for B&W 120 dev only. I rang Gunns and they gave me a price of 4.50E a roll for the 120 B&W dev only but said it might take a week to get back.

I went down to abbey street with the slide film and asked the guy could he match Gunn's price on the B&W and he said no. I know it was only for the sake of 4E but in these recessionary times I only left the slide into Abbey street and left the B&W into Gunns the next day where I collected it on Sat (which was not a full week waiting).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Seeing as Foley's deal is gone I went to Unicare in Artane. €3.50 per roll developed and then €4 to put on CD after that. So I dropped in 6 rolls and it cost me €25.

The deal is gone? Well, blast. I had just finished my first five rolls and was going to get them done this weekend.

How long did it take in Unicare?

The Unicare in Artane has a lab there so I left them in in the evening and he said he would do them first thing in the morning. I picked them up that evening. So a day maximum.

The Foley's deal is well gone. I started a new thread on it as I couldn't find this one.

Fuji lab in Unicare in Artane Castle will do 5 rolls for 15. The price would normally come to 21.50 but I've haggled him down. So if you're using him tell him you're with Boards.ie and you're looking for the deal that Neil set up. This will work as I've taken 15 rolls out myself and another two friends have also used it.
    I've had the rolls back the same day although it you could be waiting until the next day.
    He will do them by post but you've got to put cash in the envelope, with a note saying your looking for the Boards.ie deal and you must include a self addressed and stamped envelope.

So 15 quiid for 5 is still very good. The service and quality is about twice as good as Foley's so it is a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

...also who still does xpro about and is it extra?

I come across references to xpro a lot but cannot work out what it is or why it is so attractive. Examples and explanations would be really welcome, please. Should I be using it?

• Advertisement

Anouilh wrote: »
    I come across references to xpro a lot but cannot work out what it is or why it is so attractive. Examples and explanations would be really welcome, please. Should I be using it?

It means processing a film with a development process meant for a different film.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_processing

I'll mention the boards.ie deal next time I go in. Seems great value.

ayee ayee, lovely with slide film

Advertisement