Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port scans

Options
  • 31-03-2009 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

sorry if this is the wrong section,i think it could be :o

For the last 2 months ive noticed in the router(netopia) logs some "security log entries."

these have mostly been an 86./87.xxx.xx.xxx ip and normally between 6- 11pm on weekdays.
    There are usually 4 or 5 per week.

i don't pay much attention to them, as the only thing normally connected to the router is my
    laptop(nothing sensitive really on it) or xbox. i thought at first that it could be my
    brother playing games on the xbox, but then some of the entries have been at 3 - 4 am.

last one :
    Security alert type : Port Scan
    Protocol type : TCP
    IP source address : 87.232.56.174
    Time at last attempt : 3/30/09 07:34:52 PM
    Number of ports that were scanned: 5
    Highest port : 56383
    Lowest port : 56341
    56341 56351 56362 56377 56383
    and a whois brings up
    Host dsl-056-174.cust.imagine.ie
    Location IE IE, Ireland
    City Dublin, 07 -
    Organization Imagine Telecommunications Ltd
    ISP Imagine Telecommunications Ltd
    AS Number AS35272 Imagine Broadband Ltd
    is this anything to be more concerned about or just random scanning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Do you use IRC much? If so, you can expect quite a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

no i have never used irc.

there is a new one from 10am this morning, when nothing was connected to the router.

also, yesterday a rapidshare account i use was "hacked" and was used for downloads in poland + china. Ive scanned my pc for malware/virus etc and found nothing. Just a coincidence hopefully.

Advertisement