Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mature student, second year grant???

Options
  • 31-03-2009 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Im a mature student finishing first year. Last year when i applied for my grant i was living temporarily in my family home so i was technically dependant on my guardian. As a result i got 3600, or whatever it is, for my maintenance grant instead of 6000.
    When i apply in the summer again for the second year grant will i be classed as dependant again even if i have not been living at home for a year? Cant find an answer to this anywhere and i need to know because i was JUST over the income limit last year and dont want to get half of what i could again this year. Im so poor...

Comments

There is a clause for a change in circumstances in the grant scheme, but as to whether the VEC/Council will allow this is up to their interpretation of the scheme. Best to get onto them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

The default position with the VEC/Council is that whatever classification you were assessed to be prior to commencing your course (i.e. Dependent Mature Student) remains your classification for the duration of your course.

Like Dona; said, there is a clause for "change of circumstances" - so it would be worth contacting your local authority to check it out.

Bob

Advertisement