Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problem with leg muscles

• 31-03-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi guys Im looking for some advice. Im new to Triathlon, I've done a fair bit of cycling over the last few months, but Ive not much experience running. Im 26 and fairly fit. Anyhow I was running today, and found that the muscles on the back of my legs near my ankles were getting extremely tight, nearly seizing up. I had to stop to stretch them out and eventually gave up and walked back to the car, after stretching more and driving home they were back to normal. What should I do? I had stretched before running, and remember having this problem years ago

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

can anyone offer any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

richiemack wrote: »

I'd recommend seeing a physio. They should be able to determine the cause of the problem and suggest some stretches etc.

I'm going to see one tomorrow myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hi there,

It's not that you're being ignored it's just that the regulars know the charter:
    From Charter:
    We do not give out medical advice. Injuries may have common symptoms but are unique to the individual - just because you were able to keep training with X injury or were out for months because of Y doesn't mean that the same will apply to someone else. Bad advice given here and followed through could aggravate an injury and prevent an athlete making a full recovery in as rapid a time as possible.

As Rigal says if this is something that happens a lot then the only advice we can offer is to see a professional.

K thanks Amadeus, its not an injury though, just that legs wont work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Quality Feet

in the past i would have been of the same train of thought as you. 'its not an injury, if i give it a bit of time it will be fine'. experience has thought me that if it stops you from running it is an injury and should be seen by a professional. i know the cost factor involved is a turn off but to avoid the frustration of not being able to go out and run its worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

in the past i would have been of the same train of thought as you. 'its not an injury, if i give it a bit of time it will be fine'. experience has thought me that if it stops you from running it is an injury and should be seen by a professional. i know the cost factor involved is a turn off but to avoid the frustration of not being able to go out and run its worth it.

Excellent reply.

My own personal attitude is that something wierd can happen once. If it happens a couple of times then get it checked. You know your body better than anyone and you don't know whats wrong. How can a bunch of well meaning amateurs on teh internet diagnose the problem without seeing you?!

Thats what I wanted to hear guys thanks for that, Ill post the response from the phsio soon as I see him, thanks for pointing me in the right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I had something similar last week, while doing a pyramid session on the track.
    Got pain where my lower calf joins my achilles.
    It was the first time it happened, so I stopped the session, went home and iced it a few times. Took 6 days off, and went training again, so far no ill effects. Also had another intervals session on the track last night, it hasn't re-occurred.

I'm not giving advice here, just stating what happened to me and what I did - ice is the most basic and common practice to treat niggles or injuries.
    As amadeus says, if it happens more than once, its a problem, and if it happens again, it'll be off to the physio with me for some expert advice.

just been to the physio and turns out I have little or no arch in my feet, aparently its genetic, she said she was surprised I could run 2 miles. Im so happy that I found out, now Ive to get orthotics made, and will be able to run no problem, so now i'll have no excuses!!!

Advertisement