Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Students Union Voting 2nd of april

• 31-03-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all As you May know the elections are on this thursday! an i hope all students will come out and have ther voices heard.

I my self am running for publications officer, this role involves putting together the weekly magazine and also publishing the new S.U. Website, i intent to bring the magazine up to date by puting it online for all to view in colour, and cleen up the pages so it can be one again enjoyable to read.

If any one has any questions or are in faver of a new college magazine feel free to contact me.

So Vote Andy Shaw For Publications Officer!!

view facebook search "Andy Shaw For Publications Officer"

Thanks Andy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Hi all As you May know the elections are on this thursday! an i hope all students will come out and have ther voices heard.

I my self am running for publications officer, this role involves putting together the weekly magazine and also publishing the new S.U. Website, i intent to bring the magazine up to date by puting it online for all to view in colour, and cleen up the pages so it can be one again enjoyable to read.

If any one has any questions or are in faver of a new college magazine feel free to contact me.

So Vote Andy Shaw For Publications Officer!!

view facebook search "Andy Shaw For Publications Officer"

Thanks Andy

You'd imagine a Publications Officer could spell wouldn't you? Or at least proof read their work.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ShayK1 wrote: »
    You'd imagine a Publications Officer could spell wouldn't you? Or at least proof read their work.......

And that they'd have interesting posters. There is one nice poster, I think that's yours OP.

How are you going to clean up the mag, are you going to remove advertisements?
    If so how are you going to fund its creation or generate revenue for the SU and can we get anything other than drinking advertisements?

Will it actually contain anything worth reading this time around?
    Will it be printed in colour, this was promised last year, now look.
    If it is online, will people actually want a hard-copy?
    Will it have decent resolution pictures and a semblance of journalism about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Well all I'll say is dont vote the same plonkers in again this year! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭sallysaucer

Surley the same guys arent going for it again???

Who else is up for elections..am a past student and just being curious!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hughj

Best of luck Andy,Good idea about putting the mag online It needs to be brought up to date alright......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 rexsavage

Well folks? Im Colin Dunning and I'm running for the position of President. Im running independently and would really appreciate your votes! I know that a lot of students generally vote for a team when they know one person in the team. I really want this to change, obviously if I'm to get in it has to!:D

I am a willing and dedicated person who would give my all in representing the students of the IT. I like to think I'm a nice guy, I haven had many complaints so far so I'm goin well, and I'm also easily approachable.

I intend on tackling issues such as the parking problem, noise levels in the individual study area in the library, the problem with finding frickin computers(it took me ages to get this one) and the poor canteen hours

I would also like to oversee the development of a creche for students which would be partially subsidised, with the re-introduction of fees this could be a selling point for the IT, I'd like to work with Andy or whomever gets in, in upgrading the su website, create a student radio station which could be braodcast via webcast also, lobby for a student bar(if ya dont try you'll never succeed!) and try and get back the shuttle bus.

So if ya like what ya read and there not just empty promises, I will persue them, even if it means bloodshed;), then vote Colin Dunning your S.U. president!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andrewshawire

Well Sorry guys for the bad grammer. but its not my strongest point.

Anyway here is a link to some posters i have created for the campain,

http://picasaweb.google.com/shawireland/Elections?feat=directlink

And yes i do intend to reduce the amount of ads in the mag. it is to heavy with nightclubs and dark pages.
    why not have the local supermarkets battling it out for the top spot of a list of top 5 beat offers of the week. keeping there prices low and giving students some thing that will be a help to them.

And i have a good design backround and a designer is what is needed for this job, not someone in pr or science who wouldent know what to do if it couldnt be done in powerpoint or word!

Thanks Again
    Andy Shaw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

what are you going to do about college funding? i find that the SU are cowtailing to the college cos the college fund them, so basically the SU becomes a puppet government. what would you do to stop this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I guess more fund raising next yeh :S!

where would these funds come from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

rexsavage wrote: »
    I intend on tackling issues such as the parking problem, noise levels in the individual study area in the library, the problem with finding frickin computers(it took me ages to get this one) and the poor canteen hours
    Is the canteen self sufficient? Can the cost of the food cover the cost of the wages, if so extra hours won't be a problem, if not someone is going to have to put extra money in.

How do you intend to get extra parking? The college is well aware of the parking issues, the notices, clamps and the ID at the gate thing last Thursday prove that, what are you going to do?

How are you going to keep noise down in the LRC? Have people watching and keeping order?
    The same goes for computer availability, unless you go and buy more computers, you are going to have to prove someone isn't using their comp for college work, then what, forcefully remove them? Ban their account?
    rexsavage wrote: »
    I would also like to oversee the development of a creche for students which would be partially subsidised, with the re-introduction of fees this could be a selling point for the IT, I'd like to work with Andy or whomever gets in, in upgrading the su website, create a student radio station which could be braodcast via webcast also, lobby for a student bar(if ya dont try you'll never succeed!) and try and get back the shuttle bus.

The creche is a great idea, I know that people would appreciate that, and wouldn't mind paying as long as it was up to par with services already available in town.

As for the student radio station, you may want to consider streaming it over the internet, even locally within the college. Not everyone has a portable radio, and I wouldn't go and buy one just to listen to you guys :p

A student bar will require a license, are you going to pay for one, or get the college to do it.

The shuttle us will help with parking, how is it to be funded, who is going to get a bus, insure & tax it, then drive it?

just so people know the college is working on 92% of max of power usage, 95% is the highest safe stack you can go. i got this info from fergal. any more computers and we are going to have a black outs.

the parking is an issue needing tackling. but the students union in its current setup will never be able to tackle it.

as for the canteen, its a contract, you cant make them do jack. after a specific time it is not fee sable to have it open any later, any way.

the student radio is setup and ready to go, but there arent enough people there to maintain and run it. even if you got that how are you going to fund licencing? online radio still needs a licence. it costs around 1500 regardless of educational or private use. the only exemption is hospitals. i know i helping running raid.radiocrackle.com and we are trying to go legal.

good luck, and congratualtions on your research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭sallysaucer

Well Sorry guys for the bad grammer. but its not my strongest point.

And i have a good design backround and a designer is what is needed for this job, not someone in pr or science who wouldent know what to do if it couldnt be done in powerpoint or word!

Thanks Again
    Andy Shaw...

No impressed with this, you just lost a lot of votes...just because we didn't pick what ever course your on doesn't mean we don't know how to use programmes other than power point or word. Maybe if you were on the PR couse you'd actually know how to plan a campaign properly i.e not insulting the people you want to vote for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

Hiya, Im a third year student in the wexford campus. Whoever gets the positions are supposed to represent us as well. Aparently there was voting in wexford today but no one knew anything about it or about any of the canditates so what was the point. They were only there for a short while also so for students who were either in a class or not in until later in the day they missed it. I am an art student and we are in a different building to the main Wexford campus. Do any of the candidates even know of our existence? :( Before today, I nor any of my classmates that I have spoken to even know elections were taking place. Granted we didnt know the names even of the last reps so I dont suppose it will make any difference!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I was a bit weary of this thread topic as its not really a tool designed for people to promote their campaign but it does seem to be sparking a bit of discussion so it's cool to continue as is.

Just a reminder, any attacking of another candidates policies, character or beliefs on a personal level and any damaging comments about organisations that are unsubstantiated will be cause for this thread to be closed. Sorry about that but Boards.ie has an ass to cover also.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rexsavage

well done andy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Can anyone let us know who the winners were?

Advertisement