Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you fail maths ...

Options
  • 31-03-2009 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

If you fail maths can you do arts in ucd if you get enough points and have irish and english and 4 other subjects ?I'm doing higher level maths and I have no real fear of failing ,I just want to know really .

Comments

Is passing OL/HL Maths an entry requirement for Arts in UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm pretty sure passing maths is a requirement tbh!

I know there are people in my school repeating because they failed maths, even thought they passed everything else and got enough points.
    *shrugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

I thought you had to pass maths for like every course?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Took a look at the UCD prospectus, I dont think its a requirement for most Arts subjects (so not just arts omnibus), and I dont think you need it to get into Law either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Fad wrote: »
    Took a look at the UCD prospectus, I dont think its a requirement for most Arts subjects (so not just arts omnibus), and I dont think you need it to get into Law either.

You are correct.

There is no maths requirement for the following faculties:
    • Arts
    • Human Sciences
    • Philosophy
    • Celtic Studies
    • Law
    • Social Science

So, for those faculties, you need Irish, English, a third language and three other passes, (and you can count foundation level maths as one of those passes).

The above information is from the NUI entry regulations, but you should double-check with the college of your choice.

The full document concerning entry regulations is linked here: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegs0809Eng.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

You need to pass maths in order to pass the entire Leaving Cert. If that weren't the case, I would happily forget about maths and just focus on my other subjects. Thankfully all of my courses are languages and accept foundation maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

There isn't really any such thing as ''passing'' the leaving cert. If you dont require to pass maths to get into a course, end up failing it but still get into your course, how is that considered 'failing'. The leaving cert is just a means to an end of getting into college etc.
    That said the majority of courses require you to pass maths, but not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Des23 wrote: »
    There isn't really any such thing as ''passing'' the leaving cert. If you dont require to pass maths to get into a course, end up failing it but still get into your course, how is that considered 'failing'. The leaving cert is just a means to an end of getting into college etc.
    That said the majority of courses require you to pass maths, but not all of them.

None of my courses require maths but I still need to get a pass grade in at least foundation. And maths is a general LC requirement like English is.

OneArt wrote: »
    And maths is a general LC requirement like English is.

False on both counts. Neither maths nor English is compulsory for LC. In order to be a registered senior cycle student in a registered second level school, (i.e. in order for the school to count you for its "capitation" grant,) your programme of study must include Irish. No other subject is compulsory.

When it comes to the exams, you can sit for whatever subjects you like, (provided, in the case of some subjects, that the school is an approved provider of the subject). You get awarded the grades in the subjects you sit. That's it. There's no such thing as passing or failing the whole thing, and no such thing as passing or failing an individual subject, except that "NG" means "no grade", so that could be described as failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...and no such thing as passing or failing an individual subject, except that "NG" means "no grade", so that could be described as failing.

Hmm, so if I get an E or an F in, say, English, I haven't failed it and if I get a D or greater I haven't passed it? So, what DO I get?

• Advertisement

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Hmm, so if I get an E or an F in, say, English, I haven't failed it and if I get a D or greater I haven't passed it? So, what DO I get?

You are asking a question that you have already answered. If you get an F, what you get is an F; if you get an E, what you get is an E, if you get a D, what you get is a D. I don't think it's really that hard to understand. ;)

Failure is a matter of perception. Lots of people may perceive an E or below to be a fail. Therefore, in the eyes of such people, you have failed when you get that grade. The real question (and the key to happiness in life perhaps!) is whether you perceive your own achievements to be failures or successes. If you believe you are capable of an A and strive for it, you may well perceive a B as a failure.

A number of courses, by the way, accept a higher level E in maths as an entry requirement. To such enlightened people, presumably, such a grade represents an achievement rather than a failure.

Advertisement