Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT messing me about.

Options
  • 31-03-2009 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Ok i got BT 1MB in there about a week ago as the line could only handle 1MB, im having a lot of problems with latency, im pinging about 170 to dublin. I have been emailing bt for the last couple of days. When i ordered the broadband i was told i could get a new line installed and that might sort out the speed issue.(and probably the bad pings). So after sending tacerts, pings , speedtest etc i get this email back today.
    Your line is not a very good line. 1 Mb is the maximum that line can handle.
    You are connecting at the full 1 Mb and your transfer rates are good, there is nothing technical support can do.
    We cannot guarantee any ping times or get your line replaced.

Regards,

Paul | BT Residential Technical Support

So now they are telling me they cant replace the line? I feel i have basically been fooled into a 12 month contract and now they are taking no responsibility.

So does anyone have any ideas where i can go from here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

1Mb is probably the maximum your line can handle, that will be the same with any DSL provider you go with because of your line.

What is your line statistics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

cpu-dude wrote: »
    1Mb is probably the maximum your line can handle, that will be the same with any DSL provider you go with because of your line.

Ya know that but i want to go about getting a new line in because at the moment im on a carrier line.

Line stats

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 04:21:40:22
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 1024 Kbps 128 Kbps
    Noise Margin 32.0 dB 23.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 19.0 dB 10.0 dB
    Output Power -0.2 dBm 12.8 dBm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BT can't install new lines, only eircom can do this. If you want a new line, get eircom to install it, then transfer the broadband to that.

You're on a "carrier" line, what do you mean by that? If you're talking about a shared line, or pairgain, then you wouldn't have broadband at all.

Your stats look good though, and there's no reason why that line should not be supporting 7Mbps on ADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

jor el wrote: »
    BT can't install new lines, only eircom can do this. If you want a new line, get eircom to install it, then transfer the broadband to that.

You're on a "carrier" line, what do you mean by that? If you're talking about a shared line, or pairgain, then you wouldn't have broadband at all.

Your stats look good though, and there's no reason why that line should not be supporting 7Mbps on ADSL.
    Definately with that attenuation and noise margin, easily surpass 7MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

After a bit of a strong worded email i get this response back.
    Dear Connal,

The only way the line would be replaced by Eircom is if there is a problem with voice on it and even then they might just fix the line and not replace it.
    I have run a check on your line and for some reason it is now showing as a 15 Mb line when before it was only showing as a 1 Mb one.
    This might be due to Eircom regularly testing the lines and updating their database of line capacities.

Can you provide a tracert to at least 2 different game servers so we can look at it.

Regards,

Paul | BT Residential Technical Support | www.btireland.ie/help | 1890 923 111

Good news about the speed but my main priority is my ping. So i guess now its not the line? Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement