Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else's UPC fallen to crap?

Options
  • 31-03-2009 9:15pm

My UPC connection here in Drumcondra has been terrible today and yesterday. I was away for the weekend and powered back on the modem yesterday evening. I'm meant to be on the 10 meg package and only seem to be getting between 100k and 500k down.

I also noticed that my cable modem's firmware has been updated and the upstream transmit power has increased from 54.0 dBmV to 56.5 dBmV. Here's a speed test result, note the 21% QoS :eek:

Is anyone else having problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i did a test for you to look at

i'm on upc 10mb in limerick

http://www.irishisptest.com:443/myspeed/db/report?id=313539

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

good, i though i'de royally borked something.... 20M package running at about 5M, QoS ~67% but still "usable"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

441875539.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

441912168.png

20Meg UPC, Yeah its going rather slow tonite alrite, was much slower earlier

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Anyone tried one of the other servers to compare with ?

The reason I'm asking is, that the Dublin speedtest server is hosted by Digiweb instead of Westnet as of yesterday and we've seen some differences. It's giving me slower speeds than before.

/M

• Advertisement

442271070.png

Back to normal for now anyways :)

Nick

442319198.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

442472201.png

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Hmmm, Speedtest.net shows download speed as 9.65 MB/sec but the Internetfrog.com test shows 1.13MB/sec (which seems a lot more accurate).
    Any idea what that's about?

Mines slightly slower than usual, i did notice Sierra working on behalf of UPC digging up my whole road, and checking the cableng along all the houses, so it may be the upgrades.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, Speedtest.net shows download speed as 9.65 MB/sec but the Internetfrog.com test shows 1.13MB/sec (which seems a lot more accurate).
    Any idea what that's about?

Yes Internetfrog shows Mega Bites Speedtest shows Mega Bits.

Net connections are measured in Mb not MB.

So 9.65 Mb is just under 1MB.:)

442638160.png

Slow aswell tonite, still not complaining, huge Improvement over Eircons "Up to 7.6Meg" package and cheaper too :)

Nick

Mine seems a lot better today, the transmit power is still too high but that could be a local issue of some sort.

Is anyone elses really poor the last few nights, This is the 20Meg connection!! Was getting under a meg last nite
    446477271.png

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ksl19

I'm in Drumcondra on 10mb and speed is fairly consistent (between 600-900Kbps). On the 1st April connection went dead for am hour or two.

With the amount of digging going on in Drumcondra at the moment I was expecting this. Also take up of the service is massive at the moment so contention will be an issue.

We need to let UPC know about poor speeds.

ksl19 wrote: »
    I'm in Drumcondra on 10mb and speed is fairly consistent (between 600-900Kbps). On the 1st April connection went dead for am hour or two.

With the amount of digging going on in Drumcondra at the moment I was expecting this. Also take up of the service is massive at the moment so contention will be an issue.

We need to let UPC know about poor speeds.

I must be one of the lucky ones.446493230.png

Ranicand wrote: »
    I must be one of the lucky ones.446493230.png

Where are you located? I'm in temple bar and not only are the pings ridiculous but there is noticeable lag while browsing the net, not suprising as I'm only getting just over 1meg :rolleyes::rolleyes:,

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Where are you located? I'm in temple bar and not only are the pings ridiculous but there is noticeable lag while browsing the net, not suprising as I'm only getting just over 1meg :rolleyes::rolleyes:,

Nick

Tallaght.

446506712.png

This is an absolute joke :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    446506712.png

This is an absolute joke :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nick

446507877.png

• Advertisement

Ranicand wrote: »
    446507877.png

Yes, I know, I saw you posted that earlier, Was merely putting up my new result in case anyone else is expiriencing simular

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

446531956.png

Fairly average result (10 meg) for me but I did notice my download speeds going up and down like a yoyo earlier.

446533039.png446533806.png

It is funny though that my ping and speed are consistently better to the Netherlands...

Well it does seem to work a bit better at 3:50 in the morning :rolleyes:
    446604572.png

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

My speed downloads are fine but webpage browsing is sooooo slow, dial up speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lukasbasic

yes, it seems to have 'days' which it works horrible
    the response times are very bad, this is crucial for gaming
    so I may get even 10mbit on speedtest net, but the pings change from sec to sec
    so playing - especially in the evening are often an horror
    thinking of change...but to what??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

My speed downloads are fine but webpage browsing is sooooo slow, dial up speeds.
    have you tried changing to different DNS servers?

stick 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 into your DNS settings on your router instead of using the ISP supplied ones and see how it is.

or try opendns if you like on 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

446865951.png

Grand today anyways, be interesting to see if its crap again this evening

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

crap in limerick since the upgrades, can't browse web pages,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Avago

im on 20mb in swords, speedtests are always good but actual downloads are crap
    most i'd get would be 120kB/s even from the likes of microsoft
    any ideas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

move to Smart if you can, unfortunately not available at my exchange, Caherdavin in limerick (in case anyone from Smart are reading this), i have been with Upc since they first rolled out the 20mb package and found it frustrating.
    throttling P2P big time.
    i was previously with BT and Eircom at work no probs with P2P but lousy caps.

Advertisement