Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else's UPC fallen to crap?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

My connection keeps dropping and speeds are all over the place the last few weeks.

Not a very happy UPC customer. :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Not working too badly today, granted its not hitting the 20meg, but its a ok speed none the less:
    447699054.png
    expatoz wrote: »
    move to Smart if you can, unfortunately not available at my exchange, Caherdavin in limerick (in case anyone from Smart are reading this), i have been with Upc since they first rolled out the 20mb package and found it frustrating.
    throttling P2P big time.
    i was previously with BT and Eircom at work no probs with P2P but lousy caps.

I know they appear to be more relyable, but allot more expensive especially if you account for line rental, great thing about UPC is theres no line rental cost and it is cheaper

Nick

expatoz wrote: »
    move to Smart if you can, unfortunately not available at my exchange, Caherdavin in limerick (in case anyone from Smart are reading this), i have been with Upc since they first rolled out the 20mb package and found it frustrating.
    throttling P2P big time.
    i was previously with BT and Eircom at work no probs with P2P but lousy caps.
    Unfortunately they're my only decent choice, I only managed 16.8k on dialup so the phone line is out. If UPC never upgraded the cabling here I'd have no choice but HSDPA. *shudders*

I often wondered it UPC throttle torrents alright, the most I've gotten on one was about 400k or 500k down but in most cases it's about 100.

447966529.png

NTL must have some serious contention issiues as it seems to go bad every evening, this is shocking, like being on dial up tonite :( Will be contacting them :rolleyes:

Nick

Mine's not too bad tonight but it's still not as good as it should be:

447973649.png

http://www.irishisptest.com:443/myspeed/db/report?id=328372

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

very bad in dublin 2 ...tonight also !

DominoDub wrote: »
    very bad in dublin 2 ...tonight also !

448158236.png

Same area, seems to be an "improvement" tonite, this is a 20meg connection btw :rolleyes:

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ksl19

At this stage I wish I'd stayed with Smart.

I get fairly good speed but for xbox live it is a disaster. Cant connect on any game. I'll get a few games in and then nothing.

Anyone else having xbox live problems on upc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Somonedude

ksl19 wrote: »
    At this stage I wish I'd stayed with Smart.

I get fairly good speed but for xbox live it is a disaster. Cant connect on any game. I'll get a few games in and then nothing.

Anyone else having xbox live problems on upc?

I know of a few alright, seems to be an issue with ping times being too high for some specific servers. What you'll need to do is ping the server ip your getting kicked off of and take the average ms round trip after a few tests , conatct the game support and find out what the minium required ping time for the connection to them is? Unfortunatly ping times arent that important to any great extent to reisdential web surfing and thats where the money is for isp's so I know UPC site states they dont trouble shoot gaming issues.
    What gamers online and web surfers need from their connections are very different is a big problem nd as Ireland has no dedicated gamers ISP only some that seem to be better suited network wise gamers are left with the rock and hard place... booerns.

If your over that average they may be kicking you off, poss causes being latency? Where is the server located do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Can anyone tell me what the download limit is for the 6Mb Broadband light package. No mention of it on their site as they don't sell it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I've never once gotten the full 20Mbit speed from my UPC 20Meg connection.
    Downloading from ftp.heanet.ie generally averages 850-1100Kbps.. I hardly ever get more than that.

Running speedtest.net to the Dublin server typically gets me just over 10Mbit.. usually around 12-14... and an upload usually around .9Mbit.

Running speedtest.net to the server in Amsterdam however, does get me the full 20Mbit every single time.. but downloads from mirror servers in the Netherlands are about half the speed I could get from HEAnet.

Ping times, are consistantly around 16-20ms and webpages load instantly, I've never had any noticable delays in loading. Im wondering at this point, if the 20Mbit package is worth that extra tenner.. I got it originally because I wanted the faster speeds for regular downloads, and the faster upload speed.

NTL Engineers tell me the 50Mbps broadband upgrade will be coming, so for the same price as the current twenty, it will be fifty.. broadband extreme.. I suspect will be the fabled 120Mbit service which I would be tempted to get.. but with the current performance of the 20Mbit service Im not so sure that UPC's distribution network (aorta.net) has the capacity..

Advertisement