Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well I finally did it.

• 31-03-2009 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I put up a thread here a few weeks back about considering the purchase of a T4 Hi-top. Well, I travelled over to Manchester at 5am one morning last week and completed the purchase of a 1993 T4 Hightop which I had been watching. It is a 2.4 diesel LWB and was converted by ENC in Scotland. It has 59,000 miles on a full service history. Drove down the M6 from Preston and across to Holyhead where I boarded the night ferry to Dublin. Really impressed with the driving experience and the torque in the 2.4 diesel lump.
    Presented van to Customs on Monday where it was measured and inspected. They will ring me with a price on VRT later this week. (Fingers crossed).

One question... what gas cylinder do you use in a small camper like a VW. The cylinder is strapped inside the lefthand rear door. The regulator fitted presently is for Camping Gaz. There is not enough room for the standard orange Flogas cylinder that we get here in Ireland.
    I owned a Traffic camper and a Ducatto many years ago and used to use the small Calor cylinder that was available in the UK. In fact I used to get them filled here locally !! Dont know if that size cylinder is even still available any more.
    What do you suggest? Camping Gaz ? Is that expensive ?

Anyway, looking forward to chatting and maybe even meeting the members of this Board over the weeks and months ahead.

Heres to a great Summer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

cool.
    pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

You used to be able to get the "half" calor cylinders here in Ireland too. I havent seen them in ages. If you got your hands on one I'm sure you could still get it filled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Well done and good luck with your new purchase. Propane is the gas of choice out there, perhaps try a boat yard who I think still do the the half cylinders. Also you could try www.calor.ie who may give you some info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Congrats.....happy camping :)

Charles' camping in Wicklow sells the 5 kg Calor ones. Last one I bought a couple of months back was about €50 first time buy. Haven't seen them on sale anywhere else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭octyvrs

you can also get the 5kg calor gas cylinders at webbs hardware, tempelogue.
    I bought one myself here recently...

http://www.homewise.ie/supplier/Dublin/WebbHardware/37266/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Thanks for that info folks. I will try and locate the 5kg Calor rather than go the CampingGaz route. Still waiting for Price on VRT. Rang local office yesterday, but nothing back up from Rosslare yet.

Well Folks,

Paid up the VRT :( and received my new Reg. Number. I ordered and fitted the new plates. Whipped around to local main dealer and got Cert of roadworthyness for the van. Mechanic gave it a thorough checkover and commented that the van was in "good nick" and looked to be a well minded vehicle. I contacted both Dolman and Stuarts today re Insurance. They both sounded fair to deal with and their prices seem very similar. Is the breakdown cover the same on each policy especially for European mainland ??? All advice welcome on this one folks..
    Spent a few hours on some little jobs in the van... fixed sticky Microswitch in the tap, fitted new gas regulator to take half size Calor bottles (located two in the back of the garage), made up mains connection lead.

One surprising feature for a "factory van conversion" that I noticed is that the fridge has the required external exhaust flue for gas operation but it does not have the external cooling venting kit fitted. Instead it is cooled (or not) by internal vents situated above and below the fridge in the campervan. This results in hot air circulating in the campervan whenever the fridge is in use. I also feel that the fridge is performing significantly below average. I base this opinion on experience of caravans and campervan conversions which I have owned with similar fridges fitted with external vents. Is anyone else on the forum using a fridge without external vents ? Are you happy with the way it performs ? Could my problem be caused by something other than the venting system ? What advice would you offer? Should I go to the bother and expense of fitting external vents ?

Hope to get on road soon :D

See y'all

Unfit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd say the reason why you don't have fridge vents is because over the years they have been proven to be moisture traps that let in lots of water. They have been the cause of many a converted panel van succumbing to severe rust damage.

If you need to "pimp" the cooling of your fridge, fit some 12V PC fans behind it to help with the air flow.

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Well Folks,

Paid up the VRT :( and received my new Reg. Number. I ordered and fitted the new plates. Whipped around to local main dealer and got Cert of roadworthyness for the van. Mechanic gave it a thorough checkover and commented that the van was in "good nick" and looked to be a well minded vehicle. I contacted both Dolman and Stuarts today re Insurance. They both sounded fair to deal with and their prices seem very similar. Is the breakdown cover the same on each policy especially for European mainland ??? All advice welcome on this one folks..
    Spent a few hours on some little jobs in the van... fixed sticky Microswitch in the tap, fitted new gas regulator to take half size Calor bottles (located two in the back of the garage), made up mains connection lead.

One surprising feature for a "factory van conversion" that I noticed is that the fridge has the required external exhaust flue for gas operation but it does not have the external cooling venting kit fitted. Instead it is cooled (or not) by internal vents situated above and below the fridge in the campervan. This results in hot air circulating in the campervan whenever the fridge is in use. I also feel that the fridge is performing significantly below average. I base this opinion on experience of caravans and campervan conversions which I have owned with similar fridges fitted with external vents. Is anyone else on the forum using a fridge without external vents ? Are you happy with the way it performs ? Could my problem be caused by something other than the venting system ? What advice would you offer? Should I go to the bother and expense of fitting external vents ?

Hope to get on road soon :D

See y'all

Unfit

Is this the kind of vent you are talking about?

fridge4.jpg

I would say it would be simple enough to fit.

• Advertisement

Yes Kol, they are the ones I mean.

I could leave things just as they are, ie. unassisted circulation of air within the van itself. I could improve on that by fitting PC fans as suggested by Peasant, but that still requires adequate air circulation and heat loss within the van interior. Or finally I could opt for external ventilation of fridge heat exchange by installing the vents in the exterior van walls. Obviously, the previous owner(s) have not seen it necessary to carry out that upgrade in 16 years use, so maybe the answer is to use the camper for a few outings and see how things work in practice.
    I just thought it a bit strange that a factory conversion would opt for internal venting on a three way fridge. Most home conversions now fit the upper and lower heat vents in van conversions. Any opinions on this ?

Unfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For what it's worth, Westfalia in the T3 conversion didn't fit it either

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Yes Kol, they are the ones I mean.

I could leave things just as they are, ie. unassisted circulation of air within the van itself. I could improve on that by fitting PC fans as suggested by Peasant, but that still requires adequate air circulation and heat loss within the van interior. Or finally I could opt for external ventilation of fridge heat exchange by installing the vents in the exterior van walls. Obviously, the previous owner(s) have not seen it necessary to carry out that upgrade in 16 years use, so maybe the answer is to use the camper for a few outings and see how things work in practice.
    I just thought it a bit strange that a factory conversion would opt for internal venting on a three way fridge. Most home conversions now fit the upper and lower heat vents in van conversions. Any opinions on this ?

Unfit.

Actually looking at mine it has the upper and lower exterior vents. i can understand how the internal only venting would be up to much. It looks like mine were retrospectivly fitted as noticed some marks around the top one where the installer had mrked the wall before cutting the hole. Also the top vent is a Dometic vent and the bottom is an electrolux vent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just want to say best of luck with your purchase - you won't regret it :)

Thanks folks.

Rather than rush into anything, maybe I will try it out for a while and see how it works as is. It might work fine.
    After all the Westphalia conversion on the T3 would have been developed with continental touring in mind and obviously those guys knew what they were at!!

Thanks for the welcome Deadlock. Really looking forward to getting on the road and chilling out this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

Fair play to you unfit2006... Camper vans absolutely rock.. you'll love it I'd say :)

Well Folks,

eventually got on the road last Sunday. VRT'd/Insured/gassed up/ almost taxed (honestly guard) and headed to Limerick for the Vintage and Classic car show. The van drove well. he road between Birr and Borrisokane thoroughly tested the suspensions (ours and the vans).
    Met a fair few camper vans on my way down and back from Limerick. Couldnt help but wonder if any of the Boards regulars were amongst them, so I waved at them all anyway:D
    Got back up home Sunday night tired but pleased with the day. Learned a fair bit as well about the van, such as the fact that the fridge heats the van interior in direct proportion to how much it cools the contents.

Well here we were just before heading off on Sunday morning and now that you might recognise us in future, dont be shy about waving. (Must do something about the stickers on the rear doors :) )

Unfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Nice looking van unfit,happy n safe travels:D

Advertisement