Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance

Options
  • 31-03-2009 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Im going to rent out my house and was wondering if i should accept Rent Allowance. Anyone have any experience of it either good or bad ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Were is the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Do a search on here. There's plenty of horror stories from landlords, some stories of decent RA tenants and many RA tenants who seem decent but are unable to find homes that will accept RA.

As a landlord I would not and do not accept Rent Allowance. My decision based on accounts from friends and families. While not all horror stories, the problems are often that RA rarely if ever covers the entire rent and the tenant is supposed to make up the shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

athtrasna wrote: »
    As a landlord I would not and do not accept Rent Allowance. My decision based on accounts from friends and families. While not all horror stories, the problems are often that RA rarely if ever covers the entire rent and the tenant is supposed to make up the shortfall.
    Unless the tenant has some sort of a job, this won't be happening all too easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That's why I put "is supposed to" - there's loads of posts on here about the rent being short cos tenants don't/won't/can't make up the shortfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Of course it's up to you but it's a shame everyone who recieves RA is tarred with the same brush. I have recieved RA on two seperate occasion in my life and never had any problems paying the rent on time and in full.

People who are responsible will pay their rent, people who are irresponsible won't. RA has little to do with that.

If any good comes out of this recession hopefully it will be a review of the attitude of some people towards recipients of Social Welfare and/or Rent Allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

People who are responsible will pay their rent, people who are irresponsible won't. RA has little to do with that.
    Were you working at the time, and if not, where did you get the money from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 00D911

Thanks for all you advice so far, the house is in Lucan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

the_syco wrote: »
    Were you working at the time, and if not, where did you get the money from?

No I wasn't working at the time. I took the €11 out of my social welfare payment.

Not a huge deal really.

Advertisement