Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend which of these is the best broadband company?

Options
  • 31-03-2009 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Edited post in order to explain the small number of options in the poll.

I'm investigating broadband for a house where the companies listed above are really the only ISPs available in the area.

Which of those listed above do you think offers the best all-round service for the price you pay?

Best broadband? 36 votes

UPC / NTL
    0% 0 votes
    Eircom
    25% 9 votes
    BT
    16% 6 votes
    Perlico
    5% 2 votes
    UTV Internet
    2% 1 vote
    Smart
    0% 0 votes
    Other.... Please reply and specify
    50% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭LowOdour

No mobile broadband companies in there?

The best is Vodafone mobile broadband. 5gb usage with a max speed of 3.2mb/sec. The privilage of this will cost you 25 euro a month. Fantastic bargin!

Yep, I am been sarcastic.
    But when you live out in the sticks, it is God compared to dial-up.
    Used to have Irish Broadband in a house I used to rent. The company have alot of haters but I found the broadband and their customer support fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not a great poll, most of those just resell Eircom. UPC/NTL only pick areas in the cities with high population density. BT and Smart only sell their LLU products in high density areas also. What about all the Wireless providers who are doing a much better job than Eircom in bring broadband to those who fail thru other means?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You're missing a large number and type of products.
    Digiweb for one, they have numerous products.
    Not sure where this poll is going to go to be honest. Theres plenty things to take into consideration when deciding which is "best" in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Okay I've edited the post to explain why there's so few options in the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Still no Digiweb or Casey Cablesurf. Or Magnet, who offer 50Mb fibre! Rorser will not be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I would be surprised if at least one of the digiweb services arent available to you.....

This topic looked like a poll on broadband providers, what it now appears to be is that you are looking for a recommendation of a provider to use for your self.
    For any "proper" recommendation you'd really need to give more information on what the customer already has and what they want.
    Such things as, have they a phone line with Eircom already, have the an NTL connection, do they use a landline already, are they looking to bundle a package, do they need a voice/data package, what is their useage, just surfing or downloading more than they would just by surfing,whether there is a gamer in the hose etc etc. All these would be relevant when determining which package best suits them to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Okay sorry I edited the title of the post this time!

I just didn't want to be told off for starting a separate "best broadband provider" poll when a big one has already been done! (The 2007/2008 sticky one.)

I worded the original post poorly. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

So far I've had broadband from Eircom, BT, Smart and O2 Mobile CrawlBand.
    I don't expect the Earth, just the service that I'm actually paying for and the only company that achieved this was Smart.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

So far I've had broadband from Eircom, BT, Smart and O2 Mobile CrawlBand.
    I don't expect the Earth, just the service that I'm actually paying for and the only company that achieved this was Smart.

I've had Digiweb, NTL, 3 Mobile Facepalm and Smart.
    Ntl met my expectations, Smart exceeded my expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If Smart is available at in the house, then cut straight through all the bull**** and just get that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement