Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm engineering code

Options
  • 31-03-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all

I need to change my alarm code and so rang the electrician who installed it two years ago to ask him for the engineering code (he changed the default value when he installed it). He told me an engineer would have to call out to change it and it would cost €85.

I need to change my code often as Im a landlord. I can change the code myself if I just get the engineering code which I feel I’m entitled to since I bought the alarm. I know times are tough and this guy have to make a living, but €85 !!. Any advice ? am I being unreasonable ?

Cheers So_So

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If he is only an electrician & not a licenced installer then you have a bit of leverage with him. Is he licenced by the PSA? If not then he should not be offering to do any work with your alarm.
    Does your user code give you any menu access?
    You could try default the panel It all dependes on whether the alarm system is engineer locked. Power down the control panel by disconnecting the mains power & also the back up battery.
    Locate the factory link on the main PCB (marked LK1) & remove this.
    Power up the system & disarm using the factory code 01122.
    If the system disarms you have sucessfully unlocked the panel & can now enter the engineer mode using the code 01278.(Don't forget to replace the factory link at this stage.) All codes & configurations can be set in this mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mark2009

I know times are tough and this guy have to make a living, but €85 !!.
    That sounds pricey alright!

What type of alarm system is it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The price of the call out is about right, but if you can do it your self????

How did you get on SO SO?

Advertisement