Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google's stupid search prediction

• 31-03-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

At some point today google.ie, for me, swapped from using my autocomplete history to complete searches to using some sort of prediction algorithm that shows ten likely searches below the search bar and how many results they give.

For example: I used to type "pen" and hit down and it would complete to penny arcade as I have searched for it before.
    I now have to type "penny " to get penny arcade to come to the top of the list.

I've tried looking in google settings and googling it but I can't see a way to turn this horrendous feature off. Any ideas?
    I'm using IE7.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

do you have googlebar installed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Nope.
    Autocomplete still works fine on all other sites I've used before too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

annoyed me too http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055527069

to turn it off you have to click prefrences to the right of the search box

Query Suggestions
    Provide query suggestions in the search box.
    Do not provide query suggestions in the search box.

and chose you option and save.

it'll only remember the setting if you are signed in or have not deleted the cookie it implants lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Thanks for that :)
    What in the world would possess them to put that on my default :/

Advertisement