Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SSN: Shearer To Manage Newcastle For Rest of Season

• 31-03-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Fcuking hell is all I can say.

Unconfirmed at the moment, but Sky sticking their neck out on this one.

Absolutely gob smacked that Wor Al would jump into bed with this lot, but perhaps he is willing to do that in order to see a club he is such a huge part of, stay up.

People can say whatever they like about Shearer not having the credentials, but he will be the shot in the arm we need. Long term, there's a good chance he is not the answer. However, in the short term, we need a massive lift, to see us out of relegation. Super Al is one of the few men who can probably generate that sort of reaction in Newcastle United.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

crazy decision

handful of games to go so you bring in a bloke with zero managerial experience to save your premiership skins... only in toon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You're a few hours early aren't you Charlie? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Nothing up on either www.skysports.com/football or www.bbc.co.uk/football about it. Are you sure? Is it confirmed?

DenMan wrote: »
    Nothing up on either www.skysports.com/football or www.bbc.co.uk/football about it. Are you sure? Is it confirmed?

last 15 minutes of coverage on ssn has been about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Newcastle need a lift like this I reckon. He'll keep them up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Only broke about 2245 on skysports, unconfirmed,

they'll confirm it tomorrow,

so it will be an April fools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Really bad decision by Shearer imo

No managerial experience and trying to keep up a club thats on the way down.
    Just because he was a hero to the fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Helix wrote: »
    crazy decision

handful of games to go so you bring in a bloke with zero managerial experience to save your premiership skins... only in toon

Whilst I agree with you that Shearer's lack of experience is undesirable, I can guarantee you that Hughton, Kineear, and Calderwood would bring us down.

Not saying it won't happen under Shearer, but he has the stature to get that short term lift around the club, enough hopefully to see us to the summer with our PL status intact.

Yes, it's a farce that we have been reduced to making decisions such as these, but it would pale in comparison that would be the farce if a club like us we're relegated.
    You're a few hours early aren't you Charlie? ;)

It's what I fear myself.

As I said, they're unconfirmed reports, but SSN are running with the story. Sky 405.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Might inspire the team, still thought they might have gone for someone with good experience, still suppose Hughton was getting nothing out of the team,Shearer will imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Fair play Newcastle, that's the first time in ages you've actually made a pretty smart move.

Like Charlie said, even he turns out to be a shíte manager, the massive lift he'll give the players and supporters alone should see them out of safety.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »

I partially agree. I never thought I would see Shearer do business with Ashley and his lot.

However, Shearer bleads black and white it's such a massive part of him. Perhaps he is willing to stick his head out, as he is as concerned as the rest of us fans that we're in danger of imploding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Frisbee wrote: »

for along season yes but with only a few games left now
    its understandable

newcastle need a bloody lift

btw who'll be the assistant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

April fools jokes are bad enough but teasing Newcastle fans like this before April fools would be beyond cruel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Alan Shearer - the man who relegated Newcastle.

How's that sound?

Headshot wrote: »
    btw who'll be the assistant?

Nothing on that yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see John Carver back at the club, Bobby's old assistant. Him and Al are very tight.

I reckon though that Hughton and Calderwood will still be kept on.

Hopefully though this sort of move spells the end of Wise's time at the club. Can't see Al working under that ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think it's a good move for Newcastle. He'll give them a short term boost that'll possibly keep them up. After that . . . god knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Have alot of respect for Shearer now. Could have come in at the start of any season with money but just decided not to for whatever reason but with the club in real danger he sticks his whole reputation on the line to keep it in the Premiership. True hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

30k outside Sid James' Park tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

This should be good. If he keeps them up there will be calls for him to replace
    Capello, if they go down he would prob still look like the brave hero fighting a lost battle. Either way Shearer comes out of this looking good.

The question is if they stay up could he walk away?
    Would love this to be an April fools though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Weeping and topless all.

• Advertisement

I wonder if Ashley is thinking of a way he could make a few bob out of such a thing, perhaps a DVD? :pac:

stovelid wrote: »
    Weeping and topless all.

hopefully fingers crossed

cheryl-tweedy-picture-1.jpg

lol

officially confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Charlie wrote: »
    I partially agree. I never thought I would see Shearer do business with Ashley and his lot.

However, Shearer bleads black and white it's such a massive part of him. Perhaps he is willing to stick his head out, as he is as concerned as the rest of us fans that we're in danger of imploding.

What happens to the Shearer legend if you lot go down though? Will it be ignored as him fighting a brave losing battle?

I suppose though that if they stay up this is the way of putting him in as permenant manager while on a huge up of having him swoop in to save the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Shearer to become Newcastle boss

BBC Sport understands that Alan Shearer will be appointed as Newcastle manager until the end of the season.

More to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7975700.stm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

SSN: Its officially confirmed.

But he'll still be gone by Christmas... or this is an elaboarte April Fools joke.

Stekelly wrote: »
    What happens to the Shearer legend if you lot go down though?

Erm, nothing. He will always be a legend to us, irrespective to what happens to us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I wonder if Ashley is thinking of a way he could make a few bob out of such a thing, perhaps a DVD? :pac:

Limited edition print tbh.
    Helix wrote: »
    lol

officially confirmed

130k tomorrow.

Shearer to become Newcastle boss

BBC Sport understands that Alan Shearer will be appointed as Newcastle manager until the end of the season.

Magpies legend Shearer, 38, has been continually linked with a return to the club and admitted in September 2008 he would like to be manager.

Chris Hughton is currently in caretaker charge at St James' Park as interim manager Joe Kinnear recovers from a triple heart bypass.

Shearer rejected an invitation to join Newcastle as a coach last November.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7975700.stm

• Advertisement

Fair play to Shearer

true legend

I dont get it. I thought big joe was recovered and ready to take back over soon.

redout wrote: »
    I dont get it. I thought big joe was recovered and ready to take back over soon.

And it would have made fcuk all difference to the job Hughton was doing. Kinnear was taking us down, just as much as Hughton was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This just goes to show what a shambles Newcastle has become when they need to resort to this sort of bullsh!t.
    I have a lot of time for Newcastle, i truly do. But the fans have to accept their part in this ground zero of a club at the moment. They gave Allardyce unmerciful stick, yelling that he didn't know what he was doing and Ashley listened. Listened so much that he appointed Keegan as manager. And seriously,the rest of the football world laughed when Newcastle fans hailed the return of the 'messiah'. It's like Liverpool fans who want Rafa gone hailing Dalglish to get the job.
    Will Shearer be successful? The impetus he will bring could be enough to keep the club. It will give the fans something to shout about and create an atmosphere.
    Look, this can't be any worse than Hughton in charge (who i think is a fantastic backroom staff member, by the way) and he is certainly better than Joe 'you're a c*nt' Kinnear. Fair play to Shearer for taking the role at this time. It's a brave move, it's not an ideal moment to be taking over. I think the impetus may just about keep them in the Premier League, it just adds more intrigue to the relegation battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Erm, nothing. He will always be a legend to us, irrespective to what happens to us this season.

This was my point.

Somebody said Shearer was putting his reputation on the line he ain't.

Firstly he has no managerial reputation to put up.

If it goes wrong and they go down Shearer is the hero for trying to save a lost battle, while everyone will blame the people higher up.

If it goes well shearer is a bigger hero regardless on wether he stays on after or not. Actually prob an even bigger hero if he keeps them up and tells Ashley and co to **** off.

Point is Shearer is risking nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

alan_393524a.jpg

ah sure...why not?!

• Advertisement

It really came out of the blue,nothing in the newspapers even

looking forward to the news-conference tomorrow morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

wat

The best thing about this is that it means no more Shearer crap on MoTD.

One less gob****e on MoTD

Thank Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's like Liverpool fans who want Rafa gone hailing Dalglish to get the job.

It'd be more like ousting Rafa for Fowler or (less so because of a bit of work experience)Rush tbh.

Thank Christ

He might double job. "Look how good Newcastle were today, passing like a world class team, tearing the opposition to shreds" -while describing a 5-0 defeat.:D

Shearer I could kiss you!

And if this yet turns out to be an elaborate hoax I'll just kill myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Why have Sky Sports not got someone outside St James Park?

Pubs closed - it could be comedy gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

And the comedy continues,

bye bye barcodes...

thanks for the memories...[ mainly the 5 past schmichel]

Thank Christ

ya, he is bad all right no major loss

him or the club..:pac:

Newcastles hall of fame last 10 years ish

Ruud Gullit,
    Bobby Robson,
    John Carver,
    Graeme Souness,
    Glen Roeder,
    Sam Allardyce,
    Nigel Pearson,
    Kevin Keegan,
    Chris Hughton,
    Joe Kinnear,
    Chris Houghton
    Colin Calderwood.

a very stable and well run club as you can see :rolleyes:

Ridiculous.

Newcastles hall of fame last 10 years ish

Ruud Gullit,
    Bobby Robson,
    John Carver,
    Graeme Souness,
    Glen Roeder,
    Sam Allardyce,
    Nigel Pearson,
    Kevin Keegan,
    Chris Hughton,
    Joe Kinnear,
    Chris Houghton
    Colin Calderwood.

a very stable and well run club as you can see :rolleyes:

Ridiculous.
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious, and for predicting the future in your previous post.

I like how you included all the one off caretaker managers in that list, not at all misleading.

And the comedy continues,

bye bye barcodes...

Nope I dont think so

im going out on on a limb here and say that newcastle will be staying up

I really think its an inspiring appointment by Ashley tbh (for once)
    Newcastle players will have the bounce in there step now.
    best time to make an appointment with 8 games left too

he hasnt had any experience but neither did keane when he took over sunderland and look how that turned out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Wow!!! Everton fans gloating at Newcastle!!!! I thought you's did things with dignity at that club!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

should be interesting o say the least .. we think we are going down anyway so nothing to lose here ....

He will be a hero .. or toon will profess he could do nothin to save us anyway ... not his fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I really hope this isn't an April's Fool, I want to see a lot less of him on tv.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Wow!!! Everton fans gloating at Newcastle!!!! I thought you's did things with dignity at that club!

Dignity means not having 3 managers a season

Newcastle are the worst run club in Europe no harm if they go down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement