Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SSN: Shearer To Manage Newcastle For Rest of Season

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Dignity means not having 3 managers a season

Newcastle are the worst run club in Europe
    To be fair, Valencia can make Newcastle seem like a well run club.

As far having 3 managers this season, one can hardly point the blame at Ashley for Kinnear's health problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Newcastle are the worst run club in Europe no harm if they go down.

to be fair, they're run badly, and Newcastle fans readily admit that. but it's a bit harsh and disrespecful to say there'd be no harm if they go down. what have they done to everton recently to deserve singling out?

I severely dislike ashley for the same reasons most would, but certainly not the club.

they bring in huge crowds, they have a wonderful stadium and have passionate fans; some of them a bit mad, but what club doesn't have a few mad fans?

they'd be a pretty big loss to the premier league imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Are we sure this aint some big master april fools from Sky and the BBC because it was seemingly broke several hours ago and still nothing from Newcastle United.

Rob Lee to be assistant according to the Daily Mail...

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

redout wrote: »
    Are we sure this aint some big master april fools from Sky and the BBC because it was seemingly broke several hours ago and still nothing from Newcastle United.

i can't stop thinking this could be the case myself.

Goal.com Comment: Alan Shearer, Newcastle United Manager - A Colossal Gamble For All Concerned

By the time you read this, Alan Shearer will have been confirmed as Newcastle United manager. (See here for our initial report.)

That the news hit Tyneside mere hours before the start of April Fools' Day is sadly appropriate, given the tragi-comedy that has beset St. James' Park in recent months. Fans have seldom been given the chance to gather their thoughts between dramas, be it sports retail magnate Mike Ashley's surprise takeover last Spring, Kevin Keegan's arrival and swift departure from the club that he once led to the cusp of the Premier League title, or the subsequent hiring of Joe Kinnear - that old exile of the game whose heart condition has seen him leave the bench for probably the last time.

As for Ashley, the rotund beer advocate who took over the Magpies in early 2007, he cannot have helped but splutter into his pint at recent developments. Greeted initially as a saviour by the portion of the Newcastle fanbase who could politely be called excitable, his stock with the supporters has fallen even more swiftly than that of his Sports World business as poor results, backroom confusion, and questionable signing policies take hold. He wanted out. Understandably. Ashley has tried to sell the club. He has failed. Now what?

A man of his business acumen cannot have taken what must be termed a failure purely in his stride. A rethink is required. With Shearer, then, comes a chance to set things right - or to make them even worse.

Still, to Ashley, perhaps stroking his chin in contemplation over a pint of bitter, this is one plan with relatively few drawbacks. For example, a plus point for Ashley is that, not only will such an appointment take the pressure off him, but it will also be a crowd-pleaser in and of itself. The vocal fans - that is, the excitable, madding crowds who display Newcastle's 'sleeping giant' status as they throng St. James' in their thousands to welcome new signings - have long since called for Shearer. To them, this appointment will be a case of 'about time.' Ashley has given these supporters what they want.

Thus he can evade blame and, moreover, it's worth stating that he has little left to lose. Having taken the club off the market after that attempt to offload it so spectacularly failed, he is left with a commodity that he clearly does not see a long-term future in. If it goes down, well, this happens with financial cost. But pride? That's already in short supply. The Shearer appointment, then, is a gamble - but one that's made with a grin and a glint in the eye, rather than steely determination.

But is it really the right move? Certainly his connection with the fans will do nothing but boost the atmosphere at St. James'. This could have an effect on the players. But let's not forget here: for all his legendary, angel-of-the-north status, Shearer remains a fully untried proposition. This is a man who deemed himself unready for coaching work last year, pretending the banter and bonhomie of a BBC studio to the rigours of the training ground. He has, much like Kinnear (and Keegan, come to think of it), been out of the game in a professional sense for a while: punditry work, one must agree, is no substitute for the cut-and-thrust of professional football itself. And - one hardly need repeat the mantra - great players don't always make great managers.

What's more, rookies are falling out of fashion. The decline of Paul Ince at Blackburn Rovers - a man infinitely more experienced in management than Shearer, by the way - has left some wondering whether or not the tyro is really the man of the hour for a lower-half battle. The travails of an increasing inconsistent Middlesbrough under Gareth Southgate, too, can hardly reassure. (What price two north-eastern clubs going down this season?)

As for Shearer himself? Well, the gamble is gargantuan for him. If he entertains any serious notions of top-level management - and it's a fair assumption that he does - anything short of survival is going to be judged as a failure. In an age when fewer and fewer gaffers control transfer matters he will be deemed worthy or otherwise based on his tactical know-how and - above all - motivational abilities. He bleeds black and white, but can he make his players, many of whom must be treating recent developments with detached bemusement, even approximate the same depth of feeling?

Suppose that his efforts are not enough and that Newcastle descend to the second tier. Certainly they're not completely alien to these lower leagues - it's true that a whole generation of match-goers haven't seen such football at St. James', but their fathers hardly need reminded of the days left scrambling around the lower reaches of the then-Second Division in the early 1980s. Would anyone assume automatically that the 'big club' will come right back up? Any observer of the English game knows that to be pulled into the Championship is to enter a treacherous whirlpool indeed, and while some newcomers - not least Roy Keane - have navigated out of it at the first attempt, others have ended up marooned. And there is no way back from those who are pulled into Championship mediocrity.

For Shearer, then, failure at the first hurdle is potentially an option. After all, he may be manager until the end of the season in name, but with his status around the club he may even survive relegation. But his entire reputation rides on what follows. It is the job for which he has spent years waiting, whether he admits it or not. It was inevitable that he would get it. But even the most imaginative onlooker could not have conceived that he would be taking over from an aged comeback king with his club left on the verge of relegation, and at a time of almost unprecedented instability. He has a few months in which to get it right. If he doesn't, his patience in waiting for the right moment to pounce for this job has been completely and utterly wasted.

The stakes are high. The dice have been rolled. Mike Ashley has put up most of the stake - but it's Shearer who could lose his black and white shirt once and for all.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2009/04/01/1185342/goalcom-comment-alan-shearer-newcastle-united-manager-a-colossal-

redout wrote: »
    Such a hoax would just serve for hundreds of Geordie viewers to boycott them. No need for the club to say anything at this stage if there's to be a press conference at noon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Newcastle are the worst run club in Europe no harm if they go down.

Were you not the one in the Liverpool Villa match thread stating that O' Neill should go. What exactly is your philosophy on management????
    And remember, you support Everton. They are no bigger a club than Newcastle and vice versa,. In fact, NUFC have that city to themselves. They have more potential than Everton!
    Are you just on a campaign to diss potential rivals!!?? Is that all this is??

kinaldo wrote: »
    Such a hoax would just serve for hundreds of Geordie viewers to boycott them. No need for the club to say anything at this stage if there's to be a press conference at noon.

That just doesnt add up brother. If they boycott Sky and the BBC then where the hell do they watch the games ? :confused:

Setanta Heaven forbid.

• Advertisement

If in times of crisis you need a leader, then we certainly got one..

573107189_3ccf28ff2c.jpg?v=0

and maybe two..

Alan-Shearer-and-Rob-Lee--001.jpg

Just thinking back to Joe Kinnear's opening press conference (still his finest hour imo), I imagine Shearer's opening press conference will be the polar opposite in every sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

With that run in you could have Mourinho in charge and still be lucky to escape....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Headshot wrote: »
    he hasnt had any experience but neither did keane when he took over sunderland and look how that turned out

didnt keane have 42 games left in the season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

monkey9 wrote: »
    Everton. They are no bigger a club than Newcastle and vice versa

ah here

thats just being ridiculous

newcastle are a mickey mouse two bob shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Win win situation for him if it's true. Like Obama, if it goes down the toilet, he can blame those who went before, and if he sorts it, he's a saviour.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

oh newcastle.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Oh no. Really, really gonna miss his punditry :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

What a joke. Bye bye barcodes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'm still not convinced that this isn't an April 1st job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

How many more ex England captains will have to fail at management before the British media finally accept that the fact that you were a good player will not make you a good manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Great news for the club, but i fear too little to late. Our only hope is that Shearer can lift the dressing room and get some of the over paid, over rated players playing somewhere near their best.

A win win situation for Shearer really. If they stay up he's a hero, if they go down he tried his best to save the club at its time of need.

Cant see this being anything more than a temporary appointment as I am sure that Shearer is doing this for the club not for the Sad Cockney B@$t@rd. But if it is made permanent I'm sure he'll be given more time than the panic appointments of messers Allardyce/Roder/Souness who have all been rightly sacked and all in conjunction with some truly comical running of the club have contributed to the position we find ourselves in now (and the last few seasons).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Probably the player I despise most over the last 20 years. Hopefully this will burst the English medias bubble about their image of him when he takes them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

kida wrote: »
    Probably the player I despise most over the last 20 years. Hopefully this will burst the English medias bubble about their image of him when he takes them down.

You're a Man U fan aren't you?
    When will ye guys ever learn that you can't buy player's souls.
    Shearer turned ye down to play with his home club.
    Of course he could have done a fcukin Ronaldo and happily got a huge cheque while wrangling for a move elsewhere.

You're a Man U fan aren't you?
    When will ye guys ever learn that you can't buy player's souls.
    Shearer turned ye down to play with his home club.
    Of course he could have done a fcukin Ronaldo and happily got a huge cheque while wrangling for a move elsewhere.

Nothing to with that, hated the image that was portayed of him when he was playing and the amount of stuff that he got away with. Kicking Neil Lennon in the head is the most obvious one.

Nothing to with that, hated the image that was portayed of him when he was playing and the amount of stuff that he got away with. Kicking Neil Lennon in the head is the most obvious one.

And Rooney/Cantona/Ronaldo/ have exemplary disciplinary records so i suppose i cant argue with you....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,130 ✭✭✭✭listermint

M5 wrote: »
    And Rooney/Cantona/Ronaldo/ have exemplary disciplinary records so i suppose i cant argue with you....

Way offtopic, I don't like the guy. Get over it not asking you to agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Way offtopic, I don't like the guy. Get over it not asking you to agree with me.

nothing wrong with him pointing out that despite your pleas otherwise, the main reasons you dislike him is because he refused to go to the club you support. this is quite apparent due to the fact that the thing you claim to hate him for is equally true of people who played for Utd, but you like them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i hope it works out for shearer and newcastle and i still think they will stay up.
    but on the whole - wat a farce of a club. its a graveyard for good players and is the laughing stock of the premier league, i really just dont know with them sometimes. since bobby robson left its just been joke after joke. still think they should have given big sam a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i was convined this was an april fool's when i saw it just now

maybe it is!

either way, Toon are going down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

What if he fails? Between himself and Keegan, Newcastle will be running out of Messiahs?

I might throw a few quid on Phillippe Albert to be appointed next :pac:

Seriously, I think he could keep Newcastle up. It'll give them a boost (new manager buzz and so on), and they only need it for 10 odd games. Whether he could be a success beyond this season, I'd have my doubts.

Jazzy wrote: »
    i hope it works out for shearer and newcastle and i still think they will stay up.
    but on the whole - wat a farce of a club. its a graveyard for good players and is the laughing stock of the premier league, i really just dont know with them sometimes. since bobby robson left its just been joke after joke. still think they should have given big sam a chance

Agree with everything above except the Allardyce thing. Upper managment has destroyed the club through bad appointments and bizzare transfer dealings. I inslude Fat fred in that but Ashley has taken things to a whole new level.

Allardyce was a joke. His built his team as a defensive one but it could not defend. The players did not know what to do once they passed the half way line. We won 2 out of his last 12 games. Managed 2 home games with 0 attempts on goal. Had to go

Mr Alan wrote: »
    nothing wrong with him pointing out that despite your pleas otherwise, the main reasons you dislike him is because he refused to go to the club you support. this is quite apparent due to the fact that the thing you claim to hate him for is equally true of people who played for Utd, but you like them.

Stop stirring it, did you actually read what I said? I am not getting a debate on this thread about it (stop pretending you don't know the difference either). I don't like the guy for the reasons I stated.

Stop stirring it, did you actually read what I said? I am not getting a debate on this thread about it (stop pretending you don't know the difference either). I don't like the guy for the reasons I stated.

Is your comment about not liking him a little off topic???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Agree with everything above except the Allardyce thing. Upper managment has destroyed the club through bad appointments and bizzare transfer dealings. I inslude Fat fred in that but Ashley has taken things to a whole new level.

Allardyce was a joke. His built his team as a defensive one but it could not defend. The players did not know what to do once they passed the half way line. We won 2 out of his last 12 games. Managed 2 home games with 0 attempts on goal. Had to go

says huge amounts about the players at the club, considering how Allerdyce got it to work at Bolton and Blackburn... anyway the newcastle fans never would have stood for his style of football even if he had been picking up points. the funny thing is most newcastle fans came across as thinking they deserved better! lol!

How apt that the DJ played ''There is a Light that Never Goes Out'' after the final whiste at St. James' against Arsenal last week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Well I was expecting to go down so any change is welcome in the hope it will lift the fans & players, and prevent Kinnear from heart failure. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Okay the below might not be 100% their starting line-up especially when you consider the injuries etc they have had but on paper that is a team that should be chasing Europe not relegation, can any newcastle fan say who isnt fit for Big Al to work with?

.........................Harper

R.Taylor....Coloccini.....Bassong...Enrique

Guitterez....Barton......Nolan......Duff

..............Martins......Owen

Subs: (GK)Krul, (CD)Taylor, (RB/M) Geremi, (CM) Danny Guthrie (CF)Xisco/Viduka/Smith/Ameobi/Caroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I still think they'll go down given their run in, were it to happen with Shearer at the helm would be all the sweeter.
    Their basket case running of the Football club deserves the ignominy of relegation to the Championship.

• Advertisement

but on paper that is a team that should be chasing Europe not relegation,

.........................Harper

R.Taylor....Coloccini.....Bassong...Enrique

Guitterez....Barton......Nolan......Duff

..............Martins......Owen

Subs: (GK)Krul, (CD)Taylor, (RB/M) Geremi, (CM) Danny Guthrie (CF)Xisco/Viduka/Smith/Ameobi/Caroll
    Indeed, I think it's called Spurs syndrome. Although our midfield is a bit ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

kinaldo wrote: »
    Indeed, I think it's called Spurs syndrome. Although our midfield is a bit ****.

also comes down to injuries

owen is a major loss

Is your comment about not liking him a little off topic???

:confused: How, it was a comment about the person the thread is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

:confused: How, it was a comment about the person the thread is about.

its a thread about him taking the newcastle job.

not a thread about him in general.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    its a thread about him taking the newcastle job.

not a thread about him in general.

As above....
    Originally Posted by kida View Post
    How, it was a comment about the person the thread is about.

so a rebuttal of said statement is not off topic either given your last comment....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Headshot wrote: »
    also comes down to injuries

owen is a major loss

No he's not. Maybe for Newcastle, but he basically means Newcastle are a man down every time he plays, he brings so little to a team other than poaching it's nigh on useless. He's great at poaching, but chances are a lot less likely to come with someone like Owen contributing nothing to the team.

• Advertisement

No he's not. Maybe for Newcastle, but he basically means Newcastle are a man down every time he plays, he brings so little to a team other than poaching it's nigh on useless. He's great at poaching, but chances are a lot less likely to come with someone like Owen contributing nothing to the team.

When you consider who comes in to replace him (Ameobi/Carroll/Smith), he is a big loss. He also gets goals, which we have struggled to get this season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Was'nt it a couple of years ago that Engand where losing and getting rings run around them againest some team in the World cup or Euro's and Shearer was asked at half time what he's do if he was the manager....his answer was to tell someone on the England team to go out and kick there best player off the pitch in the first minute of the second half. This is a guy who Newcastle believe will save them?? Enjoy the Championship Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Silly people read your links.

Ah lad!!!! why???
    it caused me to close about 15 tabs, so I just couldn't resist venting my anger in this direction

• Advertisement
Advertisement