Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SSN: Shearer To Manage Newcastle For Rest of Season

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

kinaldo wrote: »
    it caused me to close about 15 tabs, so I just couldn't resist venting my anger in this direction

****slaps Kinaldo with the biggest salmon he can find****
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

M5 wrote: »
    ****slaps Kinaldo with the biggest salmon he can find****
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

;)
    a salmon eh, that would be Oba Martins then.. ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

it caused me to close about 15 tabs, so I just couldn't resist venting my anger in this direction

:mad:

kinaldo, that irritates me. You've made the 'list'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There's no chance of this being an April Fool's joke is there? I mean, it's far too elaborate a scam, right? :confused:

Just a thought, given that Mr. Shearer was always known as the biggest prankster in the dressing room throughout his time at Newcastle, along with Mr. Lee, and what with the lack of any NUFC statement this morning, I wonder if he's behind the biggest April fools prank ever...

I can actually imagine him sitting at home texting Rob Lee, the two of them having an almighty great chuckle together.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :mad:

kinaldo, that irritates me. You've made the 'list'.
    it was a moment of weakness, I apologise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

it was a moment of weakness, I apologise

What have attendences been like for toon recently? Cos if they're significantly down, this could be a win-win (kinda).

(a) He keeps them up
    (b) He'll ensure full houses for the remaining home games - bit of extra cash for next year's promotion campaign.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What have attendences been like for toon recently? Cos if they're significantly down, this could be a win-win (kinda).

(a) He keeps them up
    (b) He'll ensure full houses for the remaining home games - bit of extra cash for next year's promotion campaign.
    They've been about 50,000 on average I think, with the last sell outs coming against Sunderland and Liverpool. Chelsea on Saturday will surely get 52,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

They've been about 50,000 on average I think, with the last sell outs coming against Sunderland and Liverpool. Chelsea on Saturday will surely get 52,000.

I believe you've only managed in excess of 50k on 3 or 4 occasions this season.

Just had a look here. Attendences have actually been in the high 40's early 50's most season. SJP has a capacity of 52k so that blows my theory out.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Just had a look here. Attendences have actually been in the high 40's early 50's most season. SJP has a capacity of 52k so that blows my theory out.

Average is 48219 this season to be precise :-)

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics/0,,12306,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Indeed, I think it's called Spurs syndrome. Although our midfield is a bit ****.

As I said before, Newcastle actually have handy enough players, its the whole management (or lack of) and running of the club which is the problemo.

They should take a leaf ( a big chunky modest one) from David Moyes on how to run a club :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

I would love it, really love it if this was an April fools joke.

Has Shearer any qualifications apart from his BBC experience of sitting on the same coach as curbs, Lawro etc.

As I said before, Newcastle actually have handy enough players, its the whole management (or lack of) and running of the club which is the problemo.

They should take a leaf ( a big chunky modest one) from David Moyes on how to run a club :D

A lot of managers could to be fair. Actually all bar about 4 or 5 clubs in English football could imo.

I really hope this works for toon. I wouldn't worry about Shearer's qualifications, this is purely a move to boost morale, pack SJP for the home games, rally support behind the team and hopefully scrape survival. My only concern would be whether or not there's enough of the current squad with the same emotional attachment to Shearer as the fans have, in other words, would they give a toss playing for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

**** sake-Everton fans don't half love themselves.

maybe the FA should send aul dignity dave around to brief all the managers on how to manage a club, afterall, he is sooooo successful :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

who is successful outside of the sky 4 who have a wad of cash at their disposal..?

who has actually won anything ? portsmouth will be playing Newcastle in the championship next season so that's not very clever is it.

NEWCASTLE United can confirm that Alan Shearer will return to the Club as manager for the final eight games of the season.

The Magpies' all-time record goalscorer takes charge of first team affairs at St. James' Park with immediate effect. Iain Dowie will assist Alan, with Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood continuing in their coaching roles.

The Club have made the appointments while Joe Kinnear continues to recover at home having recently underwent heart surgery.

Managing Director Derek Llambias said: "Everyone at Newcastle United is absolutely delighted that Alan has taken on this challenge.

"Already there is a buzz around the Club and the city. The news has given everyone a massive boost."

Alan will hold his first training session with the squad on Thursday morning before addressing the media at St. James' Park later in the afternoon.

The Club will not be opening the stadium to the public on Thursday.

However, Alan and the squad will stage an 'open' training session for all fans to attend at St. James' Park next Tuesday. More details on this event will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dennis Wise out, Dowie in. Owen says he'll sign new contract if Shearer stays.

mike65 wrote: »
    Dennis Wise out, Dowie in. Owen says he'll sign new contract if Shearer stays.

Will not be missed! Cant understand why that decision was not made when Keegan stepped down, usual BS from the club

Anyway its done now so lets focus on what really matters, keep this club out of the championship

PS did you see some quote from Owen on that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »

ah the aul reliable "source" if shearer is a roaring sucsess then why not i suppose, can only see us just scraping through TBH, we are a poor side and low on confidence with a pretty rotten fixture list remaining, here's hoping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

This is what Ian Dowie thinks about relegation

gallery36_470x300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

pierrot wrote: »
    Win win situation for him if it's true. Like Obama, if it goes down the toilet, he can blame those who went before, and if he sorts it, he's a saviour.

Lol loving the Shearer/Obama comparison

214dr9x.gif

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

news conference on at 2.30 today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

He should have waited until after the Chelsea game.

Although I would love a nice new manager boost and Newcastle to take a point at the weekend.

Alan Shearer>>>>>>>>>>>>Barack Obama

Shearer "Ian as a fresh look,not a pretty look but a fresh look"

lolz

that was a great news conference

Headshot wrote: »
    that was a great news conference

It was frank and honest. Something we haven't had since Keegan left.

• Advertisement

Charlie wrote: »
    214dr9x.gif

:cool:

think that will be a very good partnership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

sounds like all the newcastle fans are chanting "SHE-RA! SHE-RA!"

dunno what good she'd do

unless shearer plans on playing her at centre half to bolster that god awful defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It was frank and honest. Something we haven't had since Keegan left.

in fairness, you cant get more frank & honest than Kinnears first press conference iirc.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in fairness, you cant get more frank & honest than Kinnears first press conference iirc.

You can. That outburst was embarrassing, and certainly not honest. 2 of the 3 journalists that he gobbed off on, are actually North East lads, fans of the team, and generally spot on with their assessment of things. Unfortunately for them at the time, their assessment was that Ashley was ruining the club, something most fans agree with.

Funnily enough, Kinnear being in Ashley's arse pocket didnt see it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on. I think Dowie's appointment is significant, I've always liked him as a manager, it could work if Shearer can inspire the players by virtue of the fact that he's Alan Shearer.

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on. I think Dowie's appointment is significant, I've always liked him as a manager, it could work if Shearer can inspire the players by virtue of the fact that he's Alan Shearer.

I think Dowie's appointment is important as it signifies that Shearer doesn't want to surround himself with yes men, and knows his limitations as a rookie manager. I am surprised with it tbh. I always thought he would come in as one man band when he finally took the gig.

Keegan was very much in that moud by having Arthur Cox by his side when he first took the reins all those years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I think Dowie's appointment is important as it signifies that Shearer doesn't want to surround himself with yes men, and knows his limitations as a rookie manager. I am surprised with it tbh. I always thought he would come in as one man band when he finally took the gig.

Keegan was very much in that moud by having Arthur Cox by his side when he first took the reins all those years ago.

True, but he knows it makes sense to have someone there with PL experience, particularly down that end of the table. The honeymoon period could last just long enough for Toon to collect enough points to climb out of there.

I had written the game Chelsea game off long before Shearer's return, now I'm just trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Whatever about the result, it's certainly given us all a lift.

And if Spurs can beat them.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

The game will be nauseating at the weekend. The way the media will portray the return of the messiah and the way the fans will be so fervently totally certain that he is the saviour.

If you're struggling financially, put the kitchen sink on Newcastle to win their next 2 league games, secure safety and Shearer's (deserved as a player but remains to be seen as a manager) messiah status, then draw the next 3-4 and lose the last 2-3.

Advertisement