Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Job Abroad - Need Advice

• 31-03-2009 10:52pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm aware this topic has been done to death, but in light of the global financial crisis I thought I'd be wise to start a new thread to get some up-to-date advice.

I'm currently in college, and come the 7th of May I'll have four months off for my summer holidays, before returning around the same time in September. I'm based in Dublin, and given the job situation here I'm looking to go abroad for the summer to work - not just because of the lack of employment oppurtunities here, but also because I'd prefer the experience of living and working abroad while I can.

I'm prepared to go virtually anywhere in North America or Europe, and the thought of Japan or South Korea also crossed my mind - although that seems rather optimistic. I have dual Irish and Canadian citizenship, so I can work in the latter visa-free. The stipulation is that wherever I go I must work for the duration of the time I'm there, or at least most of it, as my resources won't allow for an extended holiday.

The reason I'm posting here is because I'm looking for advice from people, who may be able to suggest some destinations where I may have more fortune finding employment. I'm aware that the current global crisis severely restricts my options, but if anyone has any suggestions or ideas that are in any way helpful to my cause, then I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Bump. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Hey

If ur interested in workin in any of the EU holiday sun destinations-pm me!Im heading on the 20th of june hopefully and am trying to get a bit of a gang together!

xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Is your degree finished? If so then you are qualified to teach english anywhere in the world and Asia is a good spot if you are interested doing so. You'll easily get work in lots of places, google Dave's ESL Cafe, its the main website for that sort of work.
    Have a mate working as a teacher in Taiwan at the mo- bobs aren't bad-$20 per hour for school teaching and $30+ ph for private tuition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

RATM wrote: »
    Is your degree finished? If so then you are qualified to teach english anywhere in the world and Asia is a good spot if you are interested doing so. You'll easily get work in lots of places, google Dave's ESL Cafe, its the main website for that sort of work.
    Have a mate working as a teacher in Taiwan at the mo- bobs aren't bad-$20 per hour for school teaching and $30+ ph for private tuition.

Is that for any degree?!!? and you dont need an additional TEFL training or anything? Sounds class

Advertisement